Bullpup 10 47.62%
Classic 11 52.38%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

--

December 30th, 2005  
Whispering Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.56X45mm
For rifles I'm for the classic design. For CQB I think that the FN P90 takes the cake.
Well, I'm with you in theory that I'd actually like to see standard rifles issued for "general" army units and carbines for MOUT fighting. However, I think it would be a better expenditure of money to have one rifel to do the job, which is why I like bullpup designs.

The other remedy is the compactness in the XM-8s flexibility. You can do the same thing as having two weapons by switching out a shorter stock and barrel in the same XM-8 you used in the field before being deployed to the big city.
December 30th, 2005  
Ngati Tumatauenga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whispering Death
Yes, but fighting in buildings and out of Humvees is the way wars are wom now-a-days. There arn't big maneuvers around pastures and farmhouses anymore.
That right? I reckon 2/3 Marines who operate up in the Kunar province in Afghanistan might disagree with you there.
December 30th, 2005  
Whispering Death

Yes, but searching caves is a pretty specialized task that is not going to be the norm in warfare over the next century. you surely will not disagree.

I'm not saying there are never going to be situations where a long rifle is prefreable, in fact a long rifle has proven to be an excellent weapon through the test of time.

But the fact is that by 2010 75% of the world's population is going to live in cities. You don't have to clear country roads or nameless patches of ground anymore and when you do it's usually going to be done out of a humvee or other such vehicle.
--
December 30th, 2005  
FO Seaman

Quote:
Well, I'm with you in theory that I'd actually like to see standard rifles issued for "general" army units and carbines for MOUT fighting. However, I think it would be a better expenditure of money to have one rifel to do the job, which is why I like bullpup designs.

The other remedy is the compactness in the XM-8s flexibility. You can do the same thing as having two weapons by switching out a shorter stock and barrel in the same XM-8 you used in the field before being deployed to the big city.
Yes but what prevents a soldier from changing his upper on the M16 to and M4, or vise versa?
December 30th, 2005  
Ngati Tumatauenga

Quote:
Yes, but searching caves is a pretty specialized task that is not going to be the norm in warfare over the next century. you surely will not disagree.

I'm not saying there are never going to be situations where a long rifle is prefreable, in fact a long rifle has proven to be an excellent weapon through the test of time.

But the fact is that by 2010 75% of the world's population is going to live in cities. You don't have to clear country roads or nameless patches of ground anymore and when you do it's usually going to be done out of a humvee or other such vehicle.
I'm not talking about searching caves.

Your assertion seems to be that 'open country' conventional land operations are a thing of the past. Is that is based on what you know of the nature of operations being conducted in OIF right now?
If so then you are being extremely short sighted with regards to possible future operations.
MOUT have been conducted for thousands of years. It would be a huge mistake to predict future warfare based on the operations being conducted at present.
December 30th, 2005  
Forrest_Gump

Quote:
Yes but what prevents a soldier from changing his upper on the M16 to and M4, or vise versa?

The mean looking chick with facial hair and sergeants stripes sitting behind the armorers desk.
December 30th, 2005  
Obvious

Fn f2000 unique, bullpup rifle with forward ejection.

It definately looks like a space weapon
December 31st, 2005  
FO Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest_Gump
The mean looking chick with facial hair and sergeants stripes sitting behind the armorers desk.
LOL. Ouch.
December 31st, 2005  
zander_0633

Well, I think Bullpup is the way to go in the near future. Singapore has developed a very good Bullpup rifle named SAR21. They are going to replace the M-16 and AR-15 they are using now to SAR21!
December 31st, 2005  
c/Commander

Bullpup's great if you don't have to retrain a million people that have been trained on standard-style weapons...then it just gets painful.