Bul M5

Yes, I obtained a Bull M5 frame a few years ago and fitted to a customers Norinco 45 ACP, he's had no problems with it.

Quality Guns... can't be imported into the USA for some reason. I forgot why... they're good guns and I've seen one in person. Never shot it but I finger banged it for the 15 minutes that I saw it.

The Bull 5 frame was also available here for the Browning Hi-Power, although I must admit I'm not a fan of tuppaware guns, give me traditional steel frames every time.

Norinco products are rough in the extreme out of the box, but with patience they can be smoothed out and made reliable. The 1911 copy both compact and full size are very good indeed when worked on.

the Bul im getting is the M5 Government. Its all steel, made in israel, and i dont think it has any Norinco parts...dose it?

the Bul im getting is the M5 Government. Its all steel, made in israel, and i dont think it has any Norinco parts...dose it?

I just looked at the site again Sherman, it definately does look exactly like the frame I fitted to someone's Norinco 45 1911. It is a polymer frame, with stainless steel inserts like the Glock.

http://www.dawson-trading.com/Bul%20M-5%20Products.htm

What calibre are you going for?

Personally I'm a fan of the 45ACP, the 40S&W is also good, I don't like the over penetration of the 9mm Parabellum even though my second gun is a Browning Hi-Power in 9mm Para. One thing I like about the 45 ACP its a lower pressure cartridge. If you go for the 45 ACP with standard 230 grain FMJ, you'd be looking at around 850 FPS at the muzzle and 369 ft/pounds energy. Good enough to put anyone on their bum.

I wouldnt think it has any Norinco parts, it seems it uses Chip McCormick parts.

It looks a good bit of kit.

Last edited:
ahhhh. Yes we went wrong somewhere. The gun im talking about is caled "Bul M5", not Bull 5:)

I-BUL_M5_Government.jpg

Last edited:
What calibre are you going for?

I dont get to choose. The pistol belongs to the company(i work for campus security). Think of it as as service pistol. In israel the 9X21 is the standart, most common caliber. I would personally like a .40, but no one asks me. 9mm dose over penetrate but for some reason it is the favorit here in israel.

I dont get to choose. The pistol belongs to the company(i work for campus security). Think of it as as service pistol. In israel the 9X21 is the standart, most common caliber. I would personally like a .40, but no one asks me. 9mm dose over penetrate but for some reason it is the favorit here in israel.

9mm Para is a good military calibre where it doesnt matter if you hit more then one person with one round, plus its an easy round to obtain. However, as a police/security/self defence calibre its far too over penatrative, I remember a soldier in Northern Ireland nailed an IRA terrorist with two rounds in the chest, beautiful grouping, but one round exited and killed an elderly lady behind the terr.

I'm surprised the 9x21 is the most commn calibre in Israel, here its the 9mm Para and 38 Special, coming up fast in the 40S&W while the 45 ACP is lagging a bit.

I actually have two 9x21 Bernadelli's in stock, not bad, but not my idea of a gun.

ok, i messed that up a little. The most common is 9 Para/9X19. 9X21 is also common but not as much. sorry.

it sure would be sweet to get it in the .45 or .40, but that wont happen. IMI makes ammo mainly for the IDF, which uses 9mm almost always.
On the other hand, im getting this pistol for free, to carry as i please, so i cant really complain. im mean, a 1911 9mm clone for free:)
I may do a group photoshoot for the M5, SW99, CZ 9X19, and the AKM we have in the house, just for kicks.

Nope... 9x21mm is not in any common here in the States.

The big six are the following.
9x19mm (Number 1 selling)
.45 ACP (Number 2 Selling)
.40 S&W (used by 60% of Law Enforcement)
357 Sig
10mm Auto
.38 Super

The last three are about even in popularity.

The Bull M-5 is a cool 1911... just sucks that they're not imported. Oh well... At least I can build my own AK and not have the Government put me in jail for doing so. :)

Went to the range in tel-aviv today. Had to go and do a 9 houre long "course" to get a permit to carry what we call a "Organizational Weapon", basically means the gun belongs to the company. The range i was at belongs to the Bul company, which produces the Bul M5 Series, and the Bul Cherokee. I did the shooting with the Bul Cherokee Compact, and it was alot of fun. I fired about 150 rounds at 10-15 yards, from diffrent positions, cover, magazine changes etc. About 90% of the rounds hit home on a chest size target, which considering i have very little experience with handguns i would say is more than OK. The Cherokee Compact itself was very nice, operated well(only stopages were because im not use to cocking a pistol), and just felt right.
bul_cherokee_c.jpg

Went to the range in tel-aviv today. Had to go and do a 9 houre long "course" to get a permit to carry what we call a "Organizational Weapon", basically means the gun belongs to the company. The range i was at belongs to the Bul company, which produces the Bul M5 Series, and the Bul Cherokee. I did the shooting with the Bul Cherokee Compact, and it was alot of fun. I fired about 150 rounds at 10-15 yards, from diffrent positions, cover, magazine changes etc. About 90% of the rounds hit home on a chest size target, which considering i have very little experience with handguns i would say is more than OK. The Cherokee Compact itself was very nice, operated well(only stopages were because im not use to cocking a pistol), and just felt right.
bul_cherokee_c.jpg

Congratulations on getting your Bul.

As a matter of interest, I had a customer buy a Glock 19 in 9mm Parabellum. After a few days he brought it back stating it stovepipes.

I took the weapon to the range and tested it, I had no problems with it whatsoever, not one hang up. I phoned the owner to collect his weapon, when he arrived I told him that the gun performed beautifully.

Two days later he was back again with the same problem. I was totally stumped, I had tested the gun with the same ammunition that he was using, so it wasnt that. Then an idea hit me, I asked him to grip the gun as if he was firing at the range, thats when I noticed the problem. It wasnt the gun, it was him, he held the gun with his right elbow bent and limp wristed. The gun was moving backwards with his hand, thereby not allowing full slide travel. I told him to lock his elbow and wrist the next time he went to the range. A few days later he was back saying that now he is not getting any malfunctions.

Back