Bul M5

it is very hard to shake of some of the rifle habbits. cocking in the M16 is much easier, and im use to applying a certain ammount of force in a very certain way. in 9mm pistol its very duffrent, so i had some stopages from being half-cocked. on the other hand my military training makes me automatically tap the magazine in and recock hard, so stopages in auto weapons are usually solved very quickly...

it is very hard to shake of some of the rifle habbits. cocking in the M16 is much easier, and im use to applying a certain ammount of force in a very certain way. in 9mm pistol its very duffrent, so i had some stopages from being half-cocked. on the other hand my military training makes me automatically tap the magazine in and recock hard, so stopages in auto weapons are usually solved very quickly...

I have had a number of people who also find that racking back the slide to be difficult. One method I suggest (assuming the person is right handed) is , with the weapon in front of you, grasp the slide with your left hand, grip the butt with your right hand as normal, but instead of pulling the slide backwards, push the butt forwards with your right hand while keeping a firm grip on the slide, then release the slide to chamber a round.

actually its not that i find it hard as far as my hands arnt strong enough, its just that it cuts the skin on my thumb. dont know why, for some reason i have very sensitive sking on my hands and fingers. either way its no big deal. i picked my pistol today, and i did actually get a Cherokee Compact, which is kind of sweet.

actually its not that i find it hard as far as my hands arnt strong enough, its just that it cuts the skin on my thumb. dont know why, for some reason i have very sensitive sking on my hands and fingers. either way its no big deal. i picked my pistol today, and i did actually get a Cherokee Compact, which is kind of sweet.

One of my carry guns is a Colt Series 80 Combat Target model in 45 ACP loaded with Winchester Black Talons. I did some testing with various rounds at the Police Ballistic unit, all I can say about the Black Talons is, "Nasty!"

Its is a bit big and heavy I must admit, but its amazingly accurate and reliable.

got to cleaning it today so i took some pics for you guys. dont make fun of my flower patterned badsheet or i will ban you. and ignore the date i just never bothered setting it in the camera...:)

Attachments

• SANY0271.jpg
    SANY0271.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 9
  • SANY0274.jpg
    SANY0274.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 5
  • SANY0276.jpg
    SANY0276.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 4
  • SANY0277.jpg
    SANY0277.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 5
I have had a number of people who also find that racking back the slide to be difficult. One method I suggest (assuming the person is right handed) is , with the weapon in front of you, grasp the slide with your left hand, grip the butt with your right hand as normal, but instead of pulling the slide backwards, push the butt forwards with your right hand while keeping a firm grip on the slide, then release the slide to chamber a round.

Sounds exactly like what I teach concealed carry classes. In the states believe it or not it's called the "Israeli draw"

Sounds exactly like what I teach concealed carry classes. In the states believe it or not it's called the "Israeli draw"

The South African Police carry with a loaded mag and empty chamber. They and others call it the Israeli carry.

Looking at your pictures Sherman, I see the barrel doesnt have the usual "link" as per the 1911, but has the usual slot as fitted to the CZ75. I have always considered that the link to be the only weak link (no pun intended) of the 1911.

Last edited:
CZ's are good weapons, wouldn't have problem carrying one, and the cherokee looks nice.

I've carried 1911A1 type pistols for alotta years. The only link I've seen go bad was from a super tactical Gear Queer that traded out for a full length guide rod and didn't get a heavier recoil spring. Great lock time on the pistol until the recoil beat it to hell. Broke the ejector, link and grips.

I would have gone with the M5(1911) but Idecided since I have to spend alot of time standing around with the weapon it should be as easy on the back as possible. Also I like the fact that its shot and I can conceal it easily, unlike the M5 which is a big postol. I actually think(it might just be me) that a shorter pistol is easier to draw quickly.

You've got good points about concealabilty. Always easier to conceal a smaller pistol. I have a compact 1911 for concealment, just can't conceal a fullsize as easy.

Draw is gonna be fractions of a second. But it's all about whether you have confidence in the weapon. Thats the most important factor.

Im not very experienced in pistols. But I can hardly expect the security comapny I work with to supply a M240 7.62, can I?

Im comletely confident of the pistol of hte 4 or 5 pistols I fired in my life it is by far the one that fits my hands the best. I did well with it on the range(the instrctor actually gave me a 5X2 inch target instead of the usuall pistol target afterseeing I get alot of my rounds in the bullseye).
I am not as confident of my drawing because simply I do not have the experience.

The draw is all about practice. The more you practice the more comfortable you get. I practice everytime I get a new pistol or a new holster.

Best advice I can give is always wear your holster in the same place and practice, practice, practice until it's natural.

Yeah. Promised my mom when her ceacked rib will heal we will go do some shooting togather. She use to carry a 0.25 and she switched(on my advice) to 9X17, so she needs the practice as well.

I practice drawing with the pistol unloaded. Just to get the muscle memory down.

There's nothing wrong with a .25 ...........................IF YOU DON'T HAVE A GUN AVAILABLE :9mm:

I practice drawing with the pistol unloaded. Just to get the muscle memory down.

There's nothing wrong with a .25 ...........................IF YOU DON'T HAVE A GUN AVAILABLE :9mm:

A fella here successfully defended his life with a Baby Browning 6.35/.25. Either by accident or design, he hit the criminal in the throat severing the carotid artery. He immediately went down.

A .25 in the hand is better then a .45 in the safe at home

CZ's are good weapons, wouldn't have problem carrying one, and the cherokee looks nice.

I've carried 1911A1 type pistols for alotta years. The only link I've seen go bad was from a super tactical Gear Queer that traded out for a full length guide rod and didn't get a heavier recoil spring. Great lock time on the pistol until the recoil beat it to hell. Broke the ejector, link and grips.

I fitted a full length sprung guide rod and fitted a 22 pound recoil spring to my Colt Combat Target, works quite well. My Colt is heavy and difficult to conceal, but its stopping power, relability and accuracy makes up for its shortcomings. On top of that I am a fan of single action cocked and locked.

My son has a standard CZ 75, apart from a few tiny modification such as removing the spring in the mag well that retards the magazine falling free during mag changes, and fitting Hogue grips. It digests anything that is loaded into the magazine.

There's nothing wrong with a .25 ...........................IF YOU DON'T HAVE A GUN AVAILABLE

Compared with some of the things women carry Id say a 0.25 with a large magazine is not that bad.

A fella here successfully defended his life with a Baby Browning 6.35/.25. Either by accident or design, he hit the criminal in the throat severing the carotid artery. He immediately went down.

A .25 in the hand is better then a .45 in the safe at home

Granted it's better than nothing. I guess I'm just predjudiced against any thing smaller than a 9mm, and I prefer given an option at least a .40 cal.

I fitted a full length sprung guide rod and fitted a 22 pound recoil spring to my Colt Combat Target, works quite well. My Colt is heavy and difficult to conceal, but its stopping power, relability and accuracy makes up for its shortcomings. On top of that I am a fan of single action cocked and locked.

If your not firing 230 grain +P loads out of it to the tune of about 500 rounds a week I can see not having a problem. This guy was shooting a Springfield Operator and the recoil of those rounds sending the slide back in battery and the lightness of the spring and ridgity of the rod combined rattled the gun to pieces.

Back