Building my carry/competition gun

deerslayer

Milforum Swamp Dweller
Luis, you'd be the person to talk to on this one.
Basically what I'm looking for is to outfit my XD in such a way that I'll have a nice Production gun, but on a budget and in such a way that I can still drag it through the marsh on deer hunts in case a hog comes prowling or something. My plans:

1. Replace stock sights with a nice pair of high-vis sights- maybe Meprolights- I'd prefer to use a point-of-aim sight picture, but that's just me.
2. Powder river trigger kit, but not the match kit- keep the weight around 5 lbs because I'm using it for nutria hunting
icon_smile.gif

3. Don's guide rod- pros and cons of the rod? I can't really find a definitive source of info here, although he garners some extremely good reviews.

I'll keep the barrel stock for now, and I figure if I shop for the meprolights during a sale, I'll have myself a nice little small-time Production gun, and something that'll do for home defense and small-game for under $170.

Comments?

Sounds like what I did with my Beretta 92 FS

Better Sights
Trigger job
Guide rod replacement

You should be GTG

I'll have no problem with the trig job and guide rod replacement for competition. My problem is the sights- the gun's stock sights use a 6'oclock sight picture, and I'm drilled for point of aim- I want to get a pair of sights that I KNOW will change the sight picture to POA, and can't find any definite answers. Could a competent gunsmith do this for me?

Thanks for the input.

Your running an XD right I have a friend of mine has one and he put some real nice sights on his and loves it. I could ask him what sights he put on the gun if you want.

I'm really not sure the guide rod does anything positive for the gun execpt put you in a different catigory.

A full size guide rod and the proper spring will increase your lock time. It can increase the accuracy of shots in rapid fire providing you know how to deal with your recoil.

Do you guys carry? I don't my guns are strictly for competition. If I was to carry I think I would carry a .38 snubby

My buddy got a set of TruGlo Tritium/Fiber Optic Sights on his XD-45 Compact. Great sights..... They are bright in both day and night and you can really get a good sight picture with them. I have the older TruGlo Tritium only sights and I'm thinking of junking them for the Tritium/Fiber Optic Combo set.

truglo_3_m.jpg

As for the trigger and guide rod option. I can't really help you on that. I'm not an XD fan and I never worked on their guns so I'm not really in the know of other accessories for the XD line other then sights and holsters and the standard add ons like lights and such.

03USMC is right about the guide rod....

Do you guys carry? I don't my guns are strictly for competition. If I was to carry I think I would carry a .38 snubby

I don't compete with tricked out guns. I keep most of my stuff stock. Maybe I change sights or add some grip tape but that's it. I carry 90% either my GLOCK 23C or my S&W 642 when I'm off duty. On Duty it's my Duty Sidearm which is a GLOCK 22.

Last edited:
My gun's for competition and home defense. Like I said, I'm starting out in Production, and I don't like the whole race gun thing. I also dont' want 300$ of accessories getting dropped in the marsh nutria hunting.

I've got my trigger and guide rod picked out, was just at a crossroads on the sights.

Any advice for my first competition?

Deerslayer, are you shooting IDPA or USPSA? Which ever just relax and have fun, try to shoot the stages clean. You will get better with time.

Right now, whatever I can get. I go to my first USPSA match next Sunday, and tomorrow I'm going to the range, and find out if there's a competent XD gunsmith in my area to install my Trijicons.

These aren't parts I'm installing strictly for competition, I wanted the sights and trigger kit to clean up the sight picture and the takeup.

I will be in a Tactical Shotgun Match on Saturday, I just loaded my magazines (for my Saiga). It's raining cats and dogs right now I bet tomorrow it's going to be muddy! :pirate2:

Now I have to decide which shirt to wear Coast Guard Shooting Team or Team Saiga? Since the match is in Norfolk I think I will be sporting Coast Guard Orange! :CG:

God forbid we ever cross at a match in Louisiana, look for the fella in the LSU School of Veterinary Medicine polo- if we don't get a shooting team started, in which case I'll damnsure monogram another purple polo with the proper credentials.:)

The whole Team Saiga thing is just for fun, the shirt says TEAM SAIGA and has the IZHMASH logo on the front and on the back it has a picture of a Saiga 12 and says "When Zombies Come" and on the bottom it says "What's in our closet" a very informal team you might say. http://shop.cafepress.com/design/7833039

Cafepress.com has a shirt for just about every thing.

Deerslayer good luck!

Last edited:
I figured that, I was just joking. I don't represent LSU when I go out, I represent the SVM, even though I've worked there less than a month.

THe department stated on the shirt isn't even my department, it's the one I wanna be in in a few months.

Our Club Pro got me by 3 seconds today at one point I was up by 30 seconds but he made it up, passed me, completely my fault I fumbled a reload (an unnecessary reload that is) that gave him the 3 seconds he beat me by. Life goes on.

Last edited:
I had a team down in my end once....

picture of use after a comp...

l_f02cd2b22e05ea1084e421d546211782.jpg

We called ourselves Team SHTF. Because when we competed we dominated and the :cen: truly did hit the fan. We had no logo or T-shirts.

Yup, better check that muzzle position. I was just joking about the T-shirt, I just wear the SVM polo everywhere because everyone knows it's from LSU, but nobody knows exactly what it means. Good conversation starter.

That's a lot of firepower- and a lot of gear to be carrying. What types of competitions were you shooting?

Kneepads would not be a bad idea to invest in, would they?

Back