Buck Showalter joins Indians as adviser

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor

CONNIE MABIN

Associated Press

CLEVELAND - Former major league manager Buck Showalter joined the Cleveland Indians as a senior adviser on Friday.
Showalter, fired by the Texas Rangers following last season, will assist general manager Mark Shapiro, assistant GM Chris Antonetti, manager Eric Wedge and Cleveland's coaching staff.
Showalter said he took the job because "it had a good feel to it" and he liked the people he'll be working with. He said he thinks the Indians are on the right track and he has a good relationship with Wedge.
"I like the way they do business," Showalter said.
When asked what specifically he planned to do, Showalter said he would look to Shapiro and Wedge for direction.
"I'm just going to follow their lead, pretty much answer when my opinions are asked," he said. "I'm just going to be there for them."
Showalter will be in uniform at spring training, and during the regular season he will help with the club's player development. He said his first task will be attending the winter meetings, which begin Monday in Florida.
The 50-year-old Showalter has an 882-833 record as a major league manager and was twice named Manager of the Year. He managed the New York Yankees from 1992-95, the Arizona Diamondbacks from 1998-2000 and the Rangers from 2003-06.
"Buck has a unique set of skills and experiences that will greatly enhance our organization in all facets at the major league, player development and amateur levels when it comes to decision-making, instruction and mentoring our younger staff members," Shapiro said.
Showalter was let go by the Rangers after they went 80-82, the club's sixth losing season in seven years since last making the playoffs in 1999.
Showalter said he was concerned some might perceive his hiring as the Indians' way to have a manager waiting in the wings, which he said is not the case.
"We've got a manager," he said, complimenting Wedge. "He's the guy to lead this club and I'm looking forward to learning some things from him, too."
But Showalter didn't rule out managing again - someday.
"If that's in store for me down the road, then so be it," he said. "This is the chapter in my life that I think fits best for me and my family, and where it leads, we'll see."

Back