BS?

What do you think about military BS?

• It's impossibale to run a unit without BS!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Some of it is useless, but on the the whole it's good.

• Useless crap, no real point to it!

• Total voters

SHERMAN

What do you think about military BS(Constant saluting, Drill marching, shining stuff, calling eachother by ranks and so on?)
?

I think its good. It conveys a sense of formality and professionalism to civilians and soldiers alike. I agree with Dark, it wouldn't be the military without it.

If you can't tell a man how to dress or when to get up in the morning, how are you going to get him to sacrifice his life for his country?

Didn't Patton say something along those lines when his staff questioned him about his policy of making his men wear ties into combat? :lol:

Yes Patton did say something like that on at least a couple of occasions.

”If you can't get them to salute when they should salute and wear the clothes you tell them to wear, how are you going to get them to die for their country? “

and

“It is absurd to believe that soldiers who cannot be made to wear the proper uniform can be induced to move forward in battle. Officers who fail to perform their duty by correcting small violations and in enforcing proper conduct are incapable of leading.”

I entirely agree with him (as much as I can given the amount of experience I have :lol: ), although I do feel wearing a necktie into battle is not the best of ideas :lol: .

As has been said before, it's the little, seemingly insignificant garrison details that build and reinforce the discipline that allows armies to win wars in the field.

basically drill was implemented to allow soldier to get used to following orders without question from those senior to them, which is highly important on the battlefield. Rank etc and all of what some might call "bs" allows for easier organisation of forces. Obviously the more effective that is done, the quicker tasks are completed and more effectively, and the better the army. And as for those that consider all of this "bs", then it quite clearly illustrates their lack of knowledge and understanding about how a real army works.

Back