Brown vs. Board of Education

Popeye

Eisenhower sought out protection for some of the first black students intergrading at a public school, and neither the police or the national guard was able to fill this duty - so he publicly announced that he would send in the 101st Airborne Division.

Just some odd information from the past that I recently acquired that was a bit different. I saw some old video clips... truly amazing, nothing against blacks, or any race for that matter as I truly believe in principles of equality, but it was odd to hear that he sent in the whole 101st for some 5-10 (sorry, don't remember exactly) students. They were forming circles around the students - M1's w/ Bayonets at the ready, they would drive them in jeeps with mg's mounted on top. They walked with them throughout the school hallways - and the black students during the interview said the 101st men were the nicest out of all their protection, and they treated them very well.

Another heart warming story from the history of the 101st.

:rambo:

Just to add to that: the National Guard is of course (unless Federalized) at the control of the state's governor. Alabama's governor was deadset against integration so you can figure out the rest.

Back