Broncos fire defensive coordinator after poor finish

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor

PAT GRAHAM

Associated Press

DENVER - The Denver Broncos fired defensive coordinator Larry Coyer on Tuesday, nine days after a once-promising season sputtered to a close with five losses in seven games.
Coyer oversaw a defense that started this season by becoming the first team in 64 years to not allow a touchdown over the first 11 quarters.
But the squad faltered, finishing 14th in the league in yards allowed as the Broncos stumbled from a 7-2 start to finish 9-7.
"I have the highest regard for him (Mike Shanahan) and have no choice but to accept his decision and do so with as much dignity and grace as I can muster," Coyer said in a prepared statement.
When Coyer was contacted at his house, his wife, Jan, said he was still too shaken by the news to talk.
"He's going to be all right," she said. "We're going to coach football. That's what (Larry) how knows to do and loves to do. He'll be coaching again before he knows it."
Broncos general manager Ted Sundquist didn't immediately return an e-mail seeking comment.
Under Coyer, Denver's rush defense had always been among the NFL's elite. The Broncos had allowed an average of 93.3 yards per game since 2003, second in the NFL in that period.
Last season, though, Denver surrendered 113.3 yards and injuries played a role. Denver lost starting safety Nick Ferguson to a left knee injury against San Diego on Nov. 19 and Sam Brandon, who played in the nickel package, to a right knee injury against Pittsburgh on Nov. 5.
"I didn't expect to hear this news this morning," Ferguson said.
Coyer's firing came eight days after cornerback Darrent Williams was killed in a drive-by shooting after a New Year's Eve party at a downtown Denver nightclub.
Coyer served four years as head coach Mike Shanahan's defensive coordinator, earning the promotion from linebackers coach to succeed Ray Rhodes.

Back