British Rifle?

Enfield SA80:

sa80_r.jpg

man, those are so wierd, the barrel is longer because the handle is in front, right? :horsie:

c/LtCdr said:
That uses the .223 (5.56mm) NATO standrad ammo doesn't it? That looks similar to an M-16 30-round magazine.
yup.
probably is the same. all nato mags are pretty much the same. i think the AK has the same mag as well.
but i duno if you can hold 31 rounds in the M16 one though.
you can with the SA80/LSW/L98 one but it jams alot doing that.

webs said:
What kind of military issue rifle do the Brits use?

The SAS uses the M4.

The SA80 has issues with left handers and the trigger well is easily damaged. There is no forward assist and the bolt can potentially stick. The weapon is not as modular as an M4 either.

e=mc2 said:
The SAS uses the M4.

The SA80 has issues with left handers and the trigger well is easily damaged. There is no forward assist and the bolt can potentially stick. The weapon is not as modular as an M4 either.
the SAS/SBS uses the MP5 as does most SF fores of the western world or uses the G11, sometimes they use M4's or M16's but mostly it depends on the situation.
mostly though its MP5's
yeah cause it aint a left handed weapon.
really? cause i used it and the trigger gaurd pretty much defended it ok.
yeah the bolt sticks cause it isnt cleaned.
well i dunno about how easy the M4 is to assemble/disassemble but the SA80 is a bit of a ***** assembling.

devilwasp said:
the SAS/SBS uses the MP5 as does most SF fores of the western world or uses the G11, sometimes they use M4's or M16's but mostly it depends on the situation.
mostly though its MP5's
yeah cause it aint a left handed weapon.
really? cause i used it and the trigger gaurd pretty much defended it ok.
yeah the bolt sticks cause it isnt cleaned.
well i dunno about how easy the M4 is to assemble/disassemble but the SA80 is a bit of a b**ch assembling.

Depends on the mission and the unit. Most use a mixed model, some MP5's, some assault, etc.

i think that the G36 is probably the rifle that would be the best replacement for the SA80, as its made by the same company, uses same/similar magzine, same ammo, carbine/para/full rifle versions, modern, proved to work, used by nato allies, special forces and normal soldiers can use same rifle etc. etc. but sadly it wont happen.

webs said:
man, those are so wierd, the barrel is longer because the handle is in front, right? :horsie:

I liked 'em - there is a major shortcoming though - you cannot fire them left-handed. If you are left-handed - you learn to shoot right-handed. There was supposed to be a left-handed model - never saw one! But, more importantly, in a tactical situation - you cannot lean around a corner to the right and keep you body out of sight :(.

Sling is a bloody masterpiece though :)

Personally I don't like bullpup designs because they are a b**** when you come across a corner. You may have to switch hands to give yourself the best cover while covering the street.

Also I am a left handed shooter. If the casings pop out in front of me, then I guess I could still manage with a right handed weapon but as for bullpup I would imagine I wouldn't have much of a face left.

Err! With this one - fire it left handed and you end up with an earful. Not to mention the recipricating cocking handle removing lumps of your face - not good. Like I said - shortcomings.

this may be a really dumb question, but are there left handed guns made? cuz im strongly left handed (i have never fired a gun but when we play laser tag or smth i fire "lefty") or do they force you to fire right handed?

I don't think that 'handed' rifles are the norm - think of the manufacturing costs, logistics etc. Usually, one would expect foibles like this to be ironed out at the drawing board stage. With the L85, however, something went wrong somewhere.

If you look at the picture posted earlier and locate the cocking handle. Now! Imagine this reciprocating whilst firing. It will collide with your left cheek probably causing damage to your face.

So there was mention of producing a left-handed model. This, however makes other problems as I stated earlier. With the SLR (Britains previous Infantry weapon), if you had a building corner to your right that you needed to fire around, you could change hands, lean out a bit, aim and fire, thus, keeping a lower profile. With the L85, you can't. You need to go around the corner or find a buddy who is left-handed with a weapon to suit (if one actually exists) and give him the job.

Oh! And as I have stated in another thread - somewhere here - there are no such things as dumb questions ;)

Well that's why I dislike bullpups. Personally I think they're well overrated. Not to mention it's probably harder to beat the crap out of someone with the buttstock if it ever came down to it!
Not to mention if the fighting got close and you got into the rare situation of fixing bayonets, you'd get a better reach with a regular rifle design.
But yeah mostly I guess it's for us left handed shooters. Urrghh! Imagine that! Sorry Vassily (Zaitsev), you can't shoot with us because the weapon would blow your face off.

Never actually got involved with the bayonet aspect of conflict - in fact - I remember a sergeant major actually telling me off for wearing one on my webbing :)

But I know what you mean redneck, you are awfully close to the enemy with a bullpup design - having said that - they are a damn site easier getting in and out of vehicles and such like than with a full sized rifle - perhaps it is case of 'horses for courses'.

I did feel that the L85 was more 'comfortable'?? than the SLR however, that caused a sweat now and again. I dare say every soldier (honest enough) will admit to misplacing a rifle at least once during his/her career. I know I did. I remember wearing the L85 like a back pack and going in to a cold sweat till I remembered that I was wearing it :D :D

Yeah the bullpups are a bit easier to carry. That was the main selling point... that and that they could make the barrel longer without extending the length of the rifle.

Back