British Rifle? - Page 4

--

October 5th, 2004  
Kozzy Mozzy

The L85 is supposed to be the most unreliable gun in service. There have been cases of it literally falling apart when fired.

Also, the reason the G11 was not adopted was because caseless ammo is extremely unreliable.
October 5th, 2004  
A Can of Man

Yup like I said, G-11 is still very much a technology experimenter.

I reckon the British Army better find a replacement for those L-series.
October 5th, 2004  
Animal Mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozzy Mozzy
The L85 is supposed to be the most unreliable gun in service. There have been cases of it literally falling apart when fired.

Also, the reason the G11 was not adopted was because caseless ammo is extremely unreliable.
The reason why the G11 was not adopted was the end of the cold war and more pressing needs came long than replacing the G3A3, like getting former East Germany on its feet.

The problem with the caseless ammo had been fixed.

Taken from this site

Quote:
The closest to adoption of all of the exotics was the caseless cartridge, in the form of the Heckler & Koch G11 rifle. It was actually about to be adopted by the German Army to replace the 7.62mm G3 (Germany never having adopted the 5.56mm NATO) when the Cold War ended and the Berlin Wall came down. Military re-equipment spending promptly halted. H&K were financially ruined by the cancellation of the G11 and fell into the hands of Royal Ordnance, where they have earned their keep by sorting out the long-running problems of the British Army's SA-80 rifle, but that's another story. In 2002, HK were taken back into German ownership.

Caseless ammunition has obvious benefits. It is much lighter and more compact (no metal case), and it is unnecessary to arrange for the extraction and ejection of the fired case (perhaps the principal source of weapon jams). The disadvantages are that it is much more vulnerable to damage (which H&K got around by supplying the ammo in sealed plastic see-through packs which clipped directly to the gun) and the propellant is more likely to "cook-off" in a hot chamber; a problem exacerbated by the fact that a brass cartridge case makes an efficient job of transporting heat from the gun. Despite this, H&K (or rather Dynamit Nobel) cracked the problem by developing a new heat-resistant kind of propellant and produced a battle-worthy weapon.
--
October 7th, 2004  
webs

I have heard that the USMC is looking at this gun (XM8)

http://world.guns.ru/assault/as61-e.htm

TAKE A LOOK, IT IS SOO COOL, it can be infantry light assult, heavy with a 100 round drum, sniper rifle and i think thats it. i think its soooo cool.