British Para's Kill 700

LeEnfield

t.gif
Paras claim 700 Taliban lives
By Thomas Harding, Defence Correspondent

(Filed: 29/07/2006)

Paratroopers have killed more than 700 Taliban fighters during fierce battles in southern Afghanistan, the Ministry of Defence confirmed yesterday.
For 10 weeks troops have been in engaged in daily gunfights for control of towns and villages under the sway of insurgent commanders.
wafg29.jpg
Men from the Parachute Regiment in AfghanistanAlthough military chiefs estimated the Taliban strength to be around 1,000 when they arrived in May, they were yesterday reticent about claiming victory as battles are continuing and terrorist reinforcements arrived from Pakistan. However, it is the first time a figure of insurgent dead has been confirmed. Many casualties were caused by airstrikes, with RAF Harriers and US A10 fighters dropping 500lb laser-guided bombs.
Men from 3Bn the Parachute Regiment, part of the 3,600-strong Helmand Task Force, had been putting "thousands of rounds down," regimental sources said.
One officer said: "We are taking out six here, 10 there or another 20 somewhere else. There are 700 dead and we are only half way through the tour." However, the MoD indicated that "Taliban" casualty figures could include villagers who took on coalition troops once a month or fighters paid to fire a rocket propelled grenade or a machine gun.
Despite the release of the figures, an MoD spokesman said the mission's purpose was providing security for reconstruction. However, he added: "Every time we meet the Taliban we are defeating them and they are taking extraordinary casualties."

Are the taliban gaining new recruits in refugee camps in pakistan? If so that would make sense since there are lots of afghanis still in pakistan because of the soviet invasion and can't go back for whatever reason.

Good to see that the Brits can still open up a can of firefight on the enemy.

700 Kills. Man, I wish that I had a hunting permit like that.

Wonder what the daily bag limit was?

LeEnfield said:
GI Joe, at the moment there have been 6 deaths out there from the fighting

WOW, what is up with this lack of fighting skills (middle eastern fighters)? It really looks like these guys just want to die. I was talking to a guy who had returned from Iraq. And he was telling me that the Iraqis were some of the worst marksman he had ever seen. But, I have a feeling that when this is all said and finished, the Middle East will see a renaissance in war fighting abilities. This horrific ass kicking they are getting will knock some real sense into the next generation. Lets just hope peace breaks out by then...

I see that we lost three more yesterday when a convoy was ambush, although these were not from the spearhead of 3 para

Back