British nukes question

--

May 20th, 2005  
KC72

Topic: British nukes question

someone told me the other day thay the UK can`t fire it`s nuclear missiles without the USA permision. they said the trident missiles in our subs are owned by us but the targeting system is run by the USA and if they turned it off our missiles would just fall into the sea. is this true?
May 21st, 2005  
hicks

Wow... that is interesting.

I'm not sure, but now I'm gonna research this.
June 2nd, 2005  
Darcia

That is odd....
--
June 2nd, 2005  
FutureDevilDog

My guess is that its true because the UK and the US are good allies and one wouldn't make a move without another.
June 2nd, 2005  
rotc boy

but Im pretty sure the UK dont control our nukes like that...
and is the friend you got this from KC72 anti-American perchance?
June 2nd, 2005  
FutureDevilDog

But I'm sure no one would make a nuclear decision without reffering to NATO or whatever
June 2nd, 2005  
KC72

Quote:

anti Bush certainly, but the point he was trying to make was that Britain doesn`t need a nuclear arsenal because we don`t fully control the missiles we have, and the threat of any genuine invasion is gone.(cold war)
June 2nd, 2005  
Whispering Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC72
Quote:

anti Bush certainly, but the point he was trying to make was that Britain doesn`t need a nuclear arsenal because we don`t fully control the missiles we have, and the threat of any genuine invasion is gone.(cold war)
America has learned that train of thought is wrong the hard way, over and over and over. See army prepardness before WW1, WW2, Korea, Vietnam.
August 13th, 2005  
ill be damed if i know

no its not true britain uses missles bought from america but doesnt mean we cant use them on our own ( there would be no point in having them if that was the case) no british decide where and when to fire, i guess its a nother way a foreigner can annoy the brits
August 13th, 2005  
LeEnfield

We work in tandem with the US and targets are agreed before hand to save duplication. Now I can't see Britain using nuclear weapons if it was not an all out war then like now we would be standing along side America