The British Monarchy

Darcia

Do you guys think that after Queen Elizebeth 2 dies the British Monarchy should continue? I realy don't think it should since now they are just figerheads with the Prime Minister doing all the work.

True but they still generate a lot of tourism for the UK. Personally I'd like to keep the Monarchy if only because it marks us out from the herd as being a bit special. Any country can have a President, not many countries can say they still have a legitmate Queen, even if she is just an 'old-dear'. :)

I would like to keep the monarchy, it sets us apart from all the republics. They are ambassadors for Britain, they are part of our history and everything with royal, her majesty etc in would have to be changed as would our national anthem. I just couldnt see britain without our monarchy, they have led and been with us through wars, plagues theyve been good and bad for britain, but i would not want a britain without the monarchy

I don't have any say in this as I am not British, but I would hate to see the end of the British monarchy, even if it is only symbolic. It seems to me that if the monarchy were to disappear, it would destroy a large part of what your country is traditionally.

If Prince Charles succeeds his mother as King of England and Great Britain ... well so be it. There have been a lot more controversial figures to wear the crown in the past. Still, if the UK cannot countenance Charles, then he should abdicate in favor of his son Prince William. That's my 2 cents on the matter.

As far as deciding whether or not the United Kingdom should keep their monarchy or not --- that's 100% up to the people of the United Kingdom I say. They are smart people, they'll figure it out for themselves.

What would the tabloids do without the monarchs? Not to mention what would the turists watch instead of the changing of guard?

I'd hate it if the Brits ended their monarchy, especially since your monarchy has been around since William the Conqueror.

Must be honest, I'm not a big fan of the monarchy :?
The majority of them seem to be just a waste of space, but having said that we British tend to be conservative(with a small c) when it comes to change.
We Brits have a saying " If its not broken, don't fix it". So I guess we will keep them for the time being :roll:

I do think that the majority of the royals should have proper jobs rather than just live off the queens and taxpayers money. But the queen, her sons and princes william and harry i can understand not working as they are more well known and do have some useful functions and it looks like harry and possibly william will be joining the military.

I just think all the money the spend on the Monarchy.....Plus the Monarch through all these Hundreds of yyears has 6 billion dollers, Almost all in Land, Which is owned by the British Government.

I'm American, and I remembered that at one time Americans held in monarch in very high regard; now, because of some monumental f'ckup on the crown and parliment's part, we broke up, but out of respect for my ancestors who lived under the crown's rule, I still respect it and hope it keep on going so long as it lives in virtue and hold's the good as it's loadstone. I would hope in fact that the monarchy may in fact gain more of it's traditional powers if the two young princes do join the military... at least allow the prime minister & parilment to cede a little bit of his military capabilities back to them if they seek military command similar to that of generalship... it would be intresting to see a king in the field direcing operations again, especially if the forieng policy is kept in the hands of the PM!

(in other words, a super-general with real power, but only if they earn the right)

Airborne said:
I would hope in fact that the monarchy may in fact gain more of it's traditional powers if the two young princes do join the military... at least allow the prime minister & parilment to cede a little bit of his military capabilities back to them if they seek military command similar to that of generalship... it would be intresting to see a king in the field direcing operations again, especially if the forieng policy is kept in the hands of the PM!

(in other words, a super-general with real power, but only if they earn the right)
:shock:
errr No, No, and NO !!!!!!!! :x
The lot we've got now has enough difficulty waving at crowds and visiting hospitals, without giving them anything more taxing to do :roll:

Can't you just trade them in for new ones? Marry them off so they can go elsewhere, like in the old days how they would make alliances? Like, doesn't Japan have a Empress?

You can only do that with daughters-send them of to germany to marry prussians. I dont think they would like to be traded in.

Get rid of them. They have had their day. Only parasites now.

Last year, Harry came out to Australia to work on a big station (ranch) for a couple of months. He spent most of the time going to the Rugby and getting pissed. I don't think he did much work. One big holiday. Who payed for that junket???

My English friends reckon they're only good for tourism.

Bring on the Australian Republic!!!

quote]now they are just figerheads with the Prime Minister doing all the work.[/quote]

Thats all theyve been for the last few 100 years.

But it will never change, they will always have thier title, its like a second name.

Get rid of them. They have had their day.

Wish we could or at least cut thier tax payer funds and let them fund for themselves.

Bring on the Australian Republic!!!

I thought Ozzy Land was a republic??

Sadly not.

Many Australians (mostly the older and conservative generations) are comfortable staying with the Monarchy. They can't see a good enough reason to change.

The Republic models that have been put up have not been sold well to the public. Howard did his best to "muddy the waters" in the last referendum.

It will take some years but Australia will become a republic one day.

A flag change might be in order too. The Canadians had the guts to do this and it looks good. Our flag with its Union Jack in the corner hardly displays to the world that we are moving forward with self-confidence.

I don't buy the argument that our soldiers had fought and died under this flag so we can't change it. It's a very weak and emotive argument.

Shadowalker said:
I would like to keep the monarchy, it sets us apart from all the republics. They are ambassadors for Britain, they are part of our history and everything with royal, her majesty etc in would have to be changed...

Yeah. You can't really have those awesome coronations without a head to put a crown on!

The British Monarchy should take a lesson from the Arabian Mornacy though, they should also do something with all these scandels that are coming up.

Back