The British Monarchy

Just another thought just a few days after all bombings in London in July the was sitting on the back of an open car riding around London celebrating the end of WW2, by the time she drove back to the Palace down the Mall there was a crowd of nearly a million people following the car. At the head of the crowd were just ten policemen on foot controlling the crowd and keeping them back from the car, now just where else would you find this, or what other head of government would also do this.

Bory said:
All I have to say about the Britsh Monarcy,

LONG LIVE THE REPUBLIC COMMONWEALTH OF AUSTRALIA :rock:
the way johnny is angling, you mean america?? :lol: :lol: :p

As someone who lives in the uk I'd like to see it gone. Maybe its cos I'm Irish and we dont have one who knows. But I reckon the royals are a waste of money.
People say they bring tourism etcetc, The Royals themselves bring in no revenue through tourism and that's a fact! The Uk would be better off spending the money they spend on the royals on the nhs. I dont see how the uk can claim to be a democracy when the House of Lords retain ultimate authority over Britain, the government reforms to the Hol. Senior citizens got a 75 pence a week pension increase, the royal family 7.9million...whats that all about like?!
Fair enough they do charity work bring international relations, but personally I think the PM could do that without them there.

I thought that this "Rule Brittannia-hooha" was left behind with the crumbling of the empire? Guess I was wrong.....

Now would Britain be better of with a President like Tony Blair, although he is always complaining about the use of the Royal Flight and the way it is used he seems to have no trouble in using it for his own family, and is now talking about getting his own Prime Minstrel jet to swan around in and is looking for some thing along the lines of the American Presidential plane. Also when people say just how much it costs to keep the Royal Family, well really it does not cost the government any thing. I think it was back in George 3 time he signed over all the Royal Estates to the Government in return for a stipend of £100.000 per year. The Crown Estates as they are now known bring in billions of pounds in revenue every year and only a fraction of this is paid back to the royal family, also the Royal Family are also paying income tax as well these days, so if we got rid of the Royal Family just who would legally own the Crown estates and the Crown Jewels and all the Royal Parks.

Back