The British Monarchy - Page 6

--
Boots

November 22nd, 2004  
Darcia

Probably they will end up with 'un-special treatment' wich would be special treatment in disguise, also most likly they will be in some elite group and will have personnel asistance and bodyguards.
December 8th, 2004  
MichaelO

A lot of you seem to believe that the Queen has no real political power, She does.

She is the only person in the UK that can declare war and initiate peace deals at any one time.

Goes like this: PM --> Parliament --> Queen.

She is the only person in the UK that can open and close Parliament at her free will.

She is also the only person in the UK that can allow a PM into office. Without her word, a PM doesn't go into Office.

A lot of you also seem to be under the impression that the Royal Family live of the taxpayers backs, They don't.

The Queen has a personal fortune, handed down through generations. They also get some money from the lands and houses they own through people using them for special occasions, and she gets money from the Royal Mint.

Oh, and somebody said that the PM might steal her Crown. No.

The PM would be booted out of office if he even dare made an attempt. Plus, the Queen is protected by old laws that basically say that her and only her can get rid of the Monarchy.

She also has to authorize laws that pass through parliament.

Sure, you could get rid of the Queen in some of her duties, but that isn't going to happen without the Queen deciding that.
December 9th, 2004  
Anya1982

Topic: hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

The monarchy will never go its like greece and france and spain and germany and poland and russia and switzerland etc all have monarchy's its a tradition in the countries and won't just go.

The queen never really ahd a say over most things in the uk over god knows how long. Its like window shopping.........its there to attract people.

Government always has the say
--
Boots
December 9th, 2004  
MichaelO

Actually, the Queen can over-ride any decision made by the PM if it's against the National Interests of the UK.
December 9th, 2004  
Anya1982

Topic: i know

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelO
Actually, the Queen can over-ride any decision made by the PM if it's against the National Interests of the UK.
I know that i ain't stupid i just saying that she lets the government deal with everything.................
December 10th, 2004  
Darcia

Switzerland,Greece,Germany,Poland,and France are all Democracy's with presidents....
December 10th, 2004  
godofthunder9010

Quote:
If there were to be any hint of the Queen interfering with or disrupting Parliment or the government ... well, depending on the circumstances they'd might just sack her and the Monarchy altogether. Much is built around the Monarchy, so they wouldn't do it unless the were quite sure they had to.
December 10th, 2004  
Anya1982

Topic: yeah right

So if the queen has all this money why is the royal family is so much debt????
December 10th, 2004  
MichaelO

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010
Quote:
If there were to be any hint of the Queen interfering with or disrupting Parliment or the government ... well, depending on the circumstances they'd might just sack her and the Monarchy altogether. Much is built around the Monarchy, so they wouldn't do it unless the were quite sure they had to.
Actually, the Parliament and PM can't touch the Queen. As I explained in a post above.

And as for the Royal Family being in debt??
December 12th, 2004  
Darcia

I think if the Parliment and PM tried they could end the reign of the Monarchy....