British Impact on Iraqi Insurgents

bulldogg

Milforum's Bouncer
http://www.guardian.co.uk/Iraq/Story/0,2763,1650125,00.html?gusrc=rss

British forces have killed and wounded more than 400 insurgents in Iraq since June 2003, it emerged today.

Adam Ingram, the armed forces minister, said in a Commons written reply that 261 had been killed in action. He told the Liberal Democrat deputy leader, Sir Menzies Campbell, a further 141 had been wounded in action.

Mr Ingram warned that the figures were "not an accurate estimate" of Iraqi casualties because they were based on the "subjective impression" of troops involved in incidents.

"There is no way of checking these impressions since UK forces do not risk their own lives to ascertain how many casualties they have caused hostile forces, and Iraqi casualties are frequently withdrawn from the area," he said.

In another written reply, Mr Ingram said 10 soldiers were under investigation with a view to possible prosecution over incidents in which Iraqi nationals were alleged to have been killed or injured.

"To date, these soldiers have not been charged with any offence," he said.

The Foreign Secretary, Jack Straw, also revealed details of Britons killed in Iraq while working as contractors.

In a written reply to Sir Menzies Campbell, he said: "From our consular records, we are aware of at least 21 British nationals who have been killed in Iraq since March 2003 while working as private military or security contractors.

"However, this figure is not definitive as our records do not, as a formality, include details of employers of those British nationals who die abroad."

I've been under the impression that the Brits have been mostly involved in the Basra area, yes? They had some really good fights in the major combat but they've been in a pretty low-intensity part of the country ever since. 400 is probobly high and that's not too many after 2 years and a few months of combat. Considering U.S. commanders in Iraq have the estimate at about 19 insurgents for every American killed, 400 isn't too many in the Brittish tally.

Good to see their holding their own, though, they're our best ally in the post 9/11 world.

Also i think man for man the British army is better equipped and trained than our ARMY (not marines )

Many of the battles that British troops have with the insurgents in Iraq hardly get reported, and they never seem to get a mention in America. When you think of it only the fourth VC has been awarded since the end of WW2 to a chap in Iraq. There have also been a number of MC and DSO awarded, there was a right Royal set to last year when a Scottish Regiment closed with the insurgents and set about them with bayonets bodies were floating the Tigris for weeks, so just because you have not heard about it don't think it does not happen.

Whispering Death said:
I've been under the impression that the Brits have been mostly involved in the Basra area, yes? They had some really good fights in the major combat but they've been in a pretty low-intensity part of the country ever since. 400 is probobly high and that's not too many after 2 years and a few months of combat. Considering U.S. commanders in Iraq have the estimate at about 19 insurgents for every American killed, 400 isn't too many in the Brittish tally.

Good to see their holding their own, though, they're our best ally in the post 9/11 world.

true... they work in the Basra area together with the Danish troops... why does everyone forget DK :'( its anoying to be a little country... :D hehe

Morten said:
Whispering Death said:

true... they work in the Basra area together with the Danish troops... why does everyone forget DK :'( its anoying to be a little country... :D hehe

cos you and the czechs keep take 2 desserts each!!

well they did at shaibah!!

^^Yeah, like I didn't know that Japanese troops help us in Iraq.
Do you have list of USA's allies. Please let me know.

Yeah, the only two allies with combat troops in Iraq I know are the Brittish and the Japanese.

And aparently the Sweeds? since one of thier guys got killed in an IED attack.

Whispering Death said:
Yeah, the only two allies with combat troops in Iraq I know are the Brittish and the Japanese.

Albania, Armenia, Australia, Azerbaijan, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Georgia, Italy, Japan, Kazakhstan, South Korea, Latvia, Lithuania, Macedonia, Mongolia, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Romania, Slovakia, United Kingdom, and Ukraine.

its pretty cool that so many countries got troops in Iraq... the only countries i knew were having troops in iraq was: Denmark, Austrailia, Italy, Japan, USA;) and the United Kingdom... :eek:

COOL!!!
Was very hot when I was there.

As for kill tallys, I thought that it wasn't sporting anymore to keep bodycounts??????

And who measures succes with bodycounts these days????

Whispering Death said:

I didn't think Japan was allowed to deploy combat troops. I know the Aussies had deployed the Al-Muthanna Task Group (AMTG) to Protect Japanese Engineers.

You are correct Bory, Japan's constitution strictly prohibits deploying any combat troops outside its own borders.

How does one count bodies in the remains of a mud house that has been hit with a Paveway GBS? They sort of blend together with the mud.

Back