Britain's Prince Harry to Serve in Iraq

Mokhaberat

He's the redheaded son of the late Princess Diana, the rowdy royal known more for dancing until dawn than waking for battle. But Britain's party prince, Harry, is getting his wish and is being deployed to Iraq this spring with his Blues and Royals regiment.Royal officials announced Thursday that the 22-year-old prince would fight for his country, confirming feverish tabloid speculation about the future of the best-recognized tank commander in Britain. His regiment is expected to set out in May or June for a six-month tour.Harry, a second lieutenant, has been trained to lead a team of 12 men in four armored reconnaissance vehicles and could become the first British royal to see combat since his uncle, Prince Andrew, flew as a Royal Navy pilot in the Falklands War against Argentina in 1982.Word of the deployment comes one day after Prime Minister Tony Blair said British troop numbers in Iraq will be cut by 1,600 in coming months. The tabloid newspaper, the Sun, opined - "1,600 out ... One in."Britain will hand over much of its security responsibilities to Iraqi forces, concentrating its troops at Basra Palace and Basra Air Base in southern Iraq.Iraqi insurgents might seek to target Cornet Wales - as Harry is known in the Blues and Royals. That has led to some concern that his presence could bring an extra risk to fellow soldiers."In a sense, his celebrity might be a factor in making the security situation for his troop more dangerous," said Michael Clarke, a professor of war studies at London's King's College.Britain's Ministry of Defense has previously said Harry could be kept out of situations where his presence could jeopardize his comrades.There has been speculation that he will be shadowed by bodyguards. But a source close to the prince, speaking on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak to the media, told The Associated Press that Harry would not be given any special protection.Col. Bob Stewart, a former British commander, said he was certain Harry would be safe."The Blues and Royals will take great pride in making sure no one gets near him," he said. "I can't think of better security than having a regiment of British soldiers around you."In Britain, Harry's upcoming deployment was taken in stride. Blair described Harry's decision as in keeping with his character."He's a very brave young man and he's a very determined young man who wants to be part of his regiment and part of the army," Blair told the British Broadcasting Corp. "And I think that shows a very special character on his part."Others thought fighting in Iraq was an appropriate task for the man who is third in line to the throne."It's a bit dangerous for him ... but it's good," said Lee Wills, 20, of London. "The royal family's got to do its bit for their country."But in Baghdad, Iraqis, who have endured much pain since the 2003 U.S.-led invasion, described the deployment as a public relations stunt."These things (are) just to beautify the picture ... The British government wants also to boost the (morale) of their troops," said Sabah Ali, a 35-year-old worker at the Iraqi Oil Ministry.In joining the military, Harry followed royal tradition. In addition to Prince Andrew's Falklands War service, Harry's father, Prince Charles, was a pilot with the Royal Air Force and Royal Navy, and a ship commander. His grandfather, Prince Philip, had a distinguished career in the Royal Navy during World War II. Even Queen Elizabeth II served before becoming monarch - she was trained as a driver in the Women's Auxiliary Territorial Service during World War II."He would be appalled if his troop went to do something without his command and they would be too," Clarke said. "If he didn't go, it would be very bad for the morale of the troop. It's like a family."The fun-loving Harry has been a frequent face on the London nightclub circuit and on the front pages of British tabloids, which have provided constant coverage of his party-going lifestyle.The paparazzi have snapped him leaving some of London's liveliest nightspots. Harry has also acknowledged drinking underage and smoking marijuana in the past, and in January 2006, he apologized after being pictured in a newspaper at a costume party dressed as a Nazi, complete with a swastika armband.But one thing he has always been serious about is going to Iraq. After completing the officer training course at Sandhurst's Royal Military Academy, he demanded a chance to serve."There's no way I'm going to put myself through Sandhurst and then sit on my arse back home while my boys are out fighting for their country," he said in an interview to mark his 21st birthday. "That may sound very patriotic, but it's true."Harry's late mother would have been firmly behind the decision to allow her second son to see active service, said Ingrid Seward, editor-in-chief of the royal magazine Majesty."I remember Diana telling me that Harry loved the military and all its pomp," she said. "She was never worried about him. This was what he was always going to do. http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2007/02/22/ap3453916.html

I saw some jerk on TV whining about how if he's sent over there "he'd be a target!"

OK, since when is any coalition soldier sent to Iraq NOT a target?

And yet at the same time United Kingdom is drawing down her Forces in Iraq.

Of course the Prime Minister could have put the drawdown out to cause the Iraqis to sit on their hands where UK Forces are..... genius.

Wow, I feel proud for him that he didn't use his status to get out of it. I pray that nothing happens to him and he gets to avenge a few Brit deaths over there.

I don't get the 'bullet magnet" criticism either. I serious doubt anyone is going to hang the sign "Prince Harry is in HERE!!!" outside his Scimitar Tank. As long as thats the case he shares the same risk as any other British soldier.

BTW the UK has only lost 100 soldiers since the war begun. So the chances are low that anything will happen to him, as long as he stays out of Baghdad and Fallujah.

If he was kidnapped on the otherhand, then that would pose some tricky problems. I'm not sure what kind of position that would put our government in but this situation is probably less likely to happen than his death.

Otherwise, i hope he does well, he's certaintly come along way from his teenage years, he always seemed more fun than william!

And yet at the same time United Kingdom is drawing down her Forces in Iraq.

Of course the Prime Minister could have put the drawdown out to cause the Iraqis to sit on their hands where UK Forces are..... genius.
1,500 soldiers transferring responsibility to Iraqi forces is not exactly a huge drawdown. Besides, I read that Britain has only about 7500 troops in total deployed in the Iraqi theater. I'm not sure that those 1,500 soldiers will have a big effect on what the enemy does or plans to do.
I say good for the prince for not shirking his duty to his country and his people.

I say good for him. He joined the military and knew there was a risk of being deployed just like everyone else. Now his unit is being deployed and he's going with so good for him. Also whats with the red heads always being a target thing? Im a redhead and I would like to know.

1,500 soldiers transferring responsibility to Iraqi forces is not exactly a huge drawdown. Besides, I read that Britain has only about 7500 troops in total deployed in the Iraqi theater. I'm not sure that those 1,500 soldiers will have a big effect on what the enemy does or plans to do.
I say good for the prince for not shirking his duty to his country and his people.

I happen to like Prince Harry, from what little I know reading from time to time about him in the papers over the years, and I believe it is good for him, and good of him to pull a tour in Iraq with the men he trained with.

I also understand the downside of having him there.... the would be ramifications of losing a member of the British Royal Family in combat, and the fact that not only Prince Harry, but also every member of his squad will be thus become high value targets for the Insurgents and Terrorists in Iraq.

I happen to like Prince Harry, from what little I know reading from time to time about him in the papers over the years, and I believe it is good for him, and good of him to pull a tour in Iraq with the men he trained with.

I also understand the downside of having him there.... the would be ramifications of losing a member of the British Royal Family in combat, and the fact that not only Prince Harry, but also every member of his squad will be thus become high value targets for the Insurgents and Terrorists in Iraq.
Let me check.... nope I can't seem to find any instance of me mentioning or alluding to whether or not he'd become anymore of a target than anyone else. Maybe I missed something ?

No need to check Top, 'twas I who alluded to Prince Harry perhaps becoming more of a target.

I will try and stick to the script with my responses in the future.

tricky problems

If he was kidnapped on the otherhand, then that would pose some tricky problems. I'm not sure what kind of position that would put our government in but this situation is probably less likely to happen than his death.

Otherwise, i hope he does well, he's certaintly come along way from his teenage years, he always seemed more fun than william!

What will happen if and i do say if, he is to be {princenapped== kidnapped in iraq} GOD forbid that it will Happen, its just something that i was thinking about,

Having him there would be a morale boost to the Brits - and to him. This should outweigh any heightened risks. I'm sure the royals don't do military training just to prounce around it splendid uniforms.

AP_Harry_Iraq_22feb07.jpg
Can anyone identify what the blue-white medal is that he's wearing?

Last edited:
Probably for completing training padre, other countries seem to hand out medals a lot more generously than Australia. In this I don't mean for bravery just medals for completing training, etc.

Having him there would be a morale boost to the Brits - and to him. This should outweigh any heightened risks. I'm sure the royals don't do military training just to prounce around it splendid uniforms.

AP_Harry_Iraq_22feb07.jpg
Can anyone identify what the blue-white medal is that he's wearing?

I think it is the Queens golden jubilee medal which is handed out to almost everyone in uniform.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Golden Jubilee 2002 medal will be issued to the following personnel:[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]All personnel who are in paid effective military service with the Royal Navy, Royal Marines, Army and Royal Air Force on 6 February 2002, who have completed 5 calendar years service and were enlisted on or before 7 February 1997. [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]All personnel who are in effective military service with the Volunteer Reserve Forces on 6 February 2002, completed five annual bounty earning training years and were enlisted on or before 7 February 1997. One of the bounty years must have been the year 2001-2002. [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]A member of the Regular Reserves who is in military service on 6 February 2002 become eligible if their aggregated Regular and Voluntary service amounts to the 5 year qualification period. [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Any member of the Military Provost Guard Service whose MPGS paid service equates to the 5 year qualifying period. [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Contracted Royal Fleet Auxiliary personnel in service on 6 February 2002 who have completed the 5 years qualifying period. [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Cadet Officers and Cadet Adult Instructors with a total of 5 training years service, providing the service period includes 6 February 2002 and they are part of an established post. The person must have started on or before 7 February 1997 and the year 2001-2002 must be part of the service period. [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]A member of the 'front line' emergency services, accessed via the telephone number 999, who have completed a minimum of 5 years reckonable service on 6 February 2002. The emergency services include the Police, Fire and Ambulance Services, the Coastguard, Royal National Lifeboat Institution and Mountain Rescue services.[/FONT]
And according to this site he was awarded it in 2003.

http://www.regiments.org/biography/royals/1984harW.htm

Back