BRITAIN'S GREATEST PRIME-MINISTER?

Oh, she had personality, and no one will ever forget it. It was another case of emulating Idi Amin Dada, the similarities in their characters were astounding, both being pathological egotists who thought the world waited with baited breath for their next utterance. Meanwhile the truth being that people were merely waiting in dread, to see what disaster they would visit on us next.

This is such pathetic nonsense that I have to ask for your references for posting it. It is completely rubbished by posts 1 ans 9 on this thread.

There have possibly been more incompetent PMs, but I doubt that there has ever been one who was hated by a larger percentage of the population. The word being "hated" as opposed to disliked. In most cases there is a spread of emotion from adoration to extreme hatred, but Maggot polarised the population to a degree that this normal "spread" was reduced almost completely to both ends of the spectrum, with the greedy and wealthy just rubbing their hands together, and the poor and disadvantaged left to suffer.

References for this please. Also I recommend reading posts 1 and 9.

Perhaps in this respect the Falklands conflict also helped remove her, as it gave her party reason to look at what they were doing, realising that it might not be such a good idea to disenfranchise such a large portion of the public, especially seeing that they are the section that has traditionally provided Britains fighting men.

Ha-ha-ha. Her best years, and her party's, were 1982 to 1990!! Makes a mockery of this wishful thinking. See posts 1 and 9 for clarification.

The general opinion of this topic seems to be that Thatcher was not liked or such a great PM as some like to believe.

Oh, she had personality, and no one will ever forget it. It was another case of emulating Idi Amin Dada, the similarities in their characters were astounding, both being pathological egotists who thought the world waited with baited breath for their next utterance. Meanwhile the truth being that people were merely waiting in dread, to see what disaster they would visit on us next.

Absolutely. An arrogant , obnoxious and refusing to see sense personality is definitely unforgettable, it will be these aspects of her character that will be long remembered. Many of those lucky to be employed were worried sick that the “axe” was going to fall, throwing them out of work, the unemployed could not see a light at the end of the tunnel.

There have possibly been more incompetent PMs, but I doubt that there has ever been one who was hated by a larger percentage of the population. The word being "hated" as opposed to disliked. In most cases there is a spread of emotion from adoration to extreme hatred, but Maggot polarised the population to a degree that this normal "spread" was reduced almost completely to both ends of the spectrum, with the greedy and wealthy just rubbing their hands together, and the poor and disadvantaged left to suffer.

Without a doubt Thatcher was the most hated PM in living memory. Harold Wilson was despised, but nowhere did he achieve the extreme feelings of hatred among the British public at large as Thatcher.

Perhaps in this respect the Falklands conflict also helped remove her, as it gave her party reason to look at what they were doing, realising that it might not be such a good idea to disenfranchise such a large portion of the public, especially seeing that they are the section that has traditionally provided Britains fighting men.

Without the section of society that Thatcher clearly despised with her total disregard for the working man, she would not have achieved the victory she did during the 1983 elections.

I find it unfortunate that Maggot has more recently merely become a comic figure to the people of the world, much the same as her role model, people have short memories and are forgetting the absolute misery that she visited upon a large part of the population and the contempt with which she treated the working classes.

Ah, you hit the nail on the head, many people unfortunately do have short memories. Many of those hold Thatcher in high esteem weren't even born, or those who didn't suffer under her insidious policies.

If the Daily Telegraphs appraisal of Thatcher is taken seriously, their YouGov poll states clearly,

“Even one in 10 of Labour voters, for whom she was a hate figure, acknowledged her greatness, as did 75 per cent of Tory voters.”

As I pointed out, that if the poll is examined closely the poll actually shows:-

90%of labour voters didn't acknowledge her greatness, neither did 25% of the Tory voters.

Now if we combine the two and take the overall figure of the poll.

57.5% did NOT acknowledge her greatness compared to the
42.5% who did.

She introduced the POLL TAX which only favoured the rich, certainly not the poor as some claim. The tax caused such high dissatisfaction that thousands of British people demonstrated and rioted in the streets. A nurse living in a single room would be paying the same tax as someone living in an enormous house. Fair? I think not.

Her arrogance resulted in the escalation of violence in Northern Ireland, leading to even more innocent deaths.

Her privatisation of public services which resulted in her “profit before people” policies which once again only benefited the rich with the resulting degrading of public services and drastic increase in the unemployment figures.

The unions required taming, everyone agrees on that, but she destroyed them, taking away the only voice that the ordinary working man had. Thatcher had no regard for the unemployed whatsoever, it simply wasn't one of her priorities.

As a result of her policies the British Industrial base was destroyed resulting in the highest unemployment figures in years. Having to rely on imports of military equipment and supplies is not only scandalous, but a very dangerous position to be in. A fact highlighted during the Falklands War when Belgium refused to supply ammunition.

Her party was set on reducing the already degraded Royal Navy to even further degradation by selling off the only two remaining aircraft carriers despite Royal Naval objections. If the Falklands War had occurred after the carriers were sold, Britain may not have been able to take the Islands back. Yet despite this, she attempted to escalate the cold war. Not only was she arrogant in the extreme, she was dangerous.

Her own party realised that she was a liability and demanded her resignation.

Around the world she was regarded as a joke, the once “Great” Britain was fast becoming a 3rd world backwater.

Its a cold hard fact, that without the victory in the Falklands, Thatcher would not have won the 1983 election,.An election held early to capitalise on the recapture of the Falklands thereby using mens lives to further her political agenda.

The jury is still out on whether the Falklands War could have been avoided, if Gordon Browns does release government papers Regarding the Thatcher years, I think people are in for a hell of a surprise, and not a pleasant surprise at that.

Britain which once was a proud industrial nation, producing consumer goods and exporting around the world, is now only a shadow of her former self thanks to Thatcher. THATS her legacy, a legacy that will take many generations to repair.

In conclusion, with the evidence produced and taken into account, Thatcher was not the wonderful person and PM and some clearly like to make out.

Last edited:
The general opinion of this topic seems to be that Thatcher was not liked or such a great PM as some like to believe.

Absolutely. An arrogant , obnoxious and refusing to see sense personality is definitely unforgettable, it will be these aspects of her character that will be long remembered. Many of those lucky to be employed were worried sick that the “axe” was going to fall, throwing them out of work, the unemployed could not see a light at the end of the tunnel.

Pathetic nonsense again, flying in the face of the facts. The general opinion on this topic is that of posts 1 and 9, the factual case; and on the voting patterns of the British electorate throughout her period; she was never beaten at the polls. And, as the YouGuv poll (Post 1) emphasises, she would be the choice of the British electorate even now.You are simply repeating your wild opinions, making statements that you have failed to produce references for, although these have been asked for. Provide references now please.

Without a doubt Thatcher was the most hated PM in living memory. Harold Wilson was despised.

You are repeating this rubbish. Please provide references to establish that this statement is true.

Without the section of society that Thatcher clearly despised with her total disregard for the working man, she would not have achieved the victory she did during the 1983 elections.

What does this rubbish mean? Of course she had the support of the electorate, as she had at all elections she won by large margins, and never lost a single one.

Post 1 establishes without doubt how popular she was and is, with the British electorate.

Ah, you hit the nail on the head, many people unfortunately do have short memories. Many of those hold Thatcher in high esteem weren't even born, or those who didn't suffer under her insidious policies.

Utter rubbish again. The two of you are the ones with short memories, no understanding of the subject of her relationship with the British electorate. Both of you have prejudices to spout .

In fact the very opposite is true, most of her best support come from those old enough to have lived through her administrations.

If the Daily Telegraphs appraisal of Thatcher is taken seriously, their YouGov poll states clearly,

“Even one in 10 of Labour voters, for whom she was a hate figure, acknowledged her greatness, as did 75 per cent of Tory voters.”

As I pointed out, that if the poll is examined closely the poll actually shows:-

90%of labour voters didn't acknowledge her greatness, neither did 25% of the Tory voters.

Now if we combine the two and take the overall figure of the poll.

57.5% did NOT acknowledge her greatness compared to the
42.5% who did.

I have already squashed this embarrassing nonsense on this thread. Mathmatics is obviously not your strong point.

And obviously no-one has ever told you that the Britsh electorate does not consist of only 2 Parties! Some Brit, ha-ha-aaaaaaaaaaaaa.

Furthermore, the following Labour administration , in power since 1997, reversed none of the policies they inherited. Home-ownership and wealth for the working man, entrepreneurship of the working man, grew under Thatcher. The council tax we have now weighs much heavier on the working man than the poll did ever did. The following Labout government has refused to re-nationalise any public services, and has extended priviatisation. Incidently, the working man invested in the privatisations in a big way. The degrading of public services is far worse now than then, although she inherited such a disastrous situation from Labour in 1979 and unemployment figures ever since have been manipulated in all manner of ways.

The unions required taming, everyone agrees on that, but she destroyed them, taking away the only voice that the ordinary working man had.

Not at all, she did not destroy the unions - she destroyed their excessive power, curbed that.

Her own party realised that she was a liability and demanded her resignation.

'Her own party' did nothing of the kind. See the figures on post 1, which you yourself have quoted .[/quote]

Around the world she was regarded as a joke, the once “Great” Britain was fast becoming a 3rd world backwater.
Please supply reference. Your nonsense again. She rescued Britain from the backwaters after 1979. Posts 1 and 9 make it clear that her standing was very high indeed. Have you no stomach for facts.

Its a cold hard fact, that without the victory in the Falklands, Thatcher would not have won the 1983 election,.

This is a lie - it is not 'a cold hard fact 'at all! Obviously you would not recognise one.

Britain which once was a proud industrial nation, producing consumer goods and exporting around the world, is now only a shadow of her former self thanks to Thatcher. THATS her legacy, a legacy that will take many generations to repair.

Not by 1979, it wasn't, it was already a shadow of its former self. Maggie pulled it up by its bootstraps; rescued it, and set it on course for great success, that has gradually been oozing away under the Labour Government since 1997, and her legacy has been lost. The country is nearer to third world country than ever now, and the working man is the most aware of that - his quality of life has been undermined by deliberate government policy, and is now unrecognisable from the one left to us by Maggie Thatcher.

In conclusion, with the evidence produced and taken into account, Thatcher was not the wonderful person and PM and some clearly like to make out.

That is not the argument which opposes your view.

The argument in favour of the British electorate's appreciation of the standing of Thatcher as the greatest post-war PM, and second to Winston in their all-time PMs is that listed in Posts 1 and 9 of this thread, and based on the YouGuv poll.

These make no extravagant claims, they just state the FACTS,

Last edited:
Well, it seems Errol has been the leading the hunt on this thread, with some serious contenders; I reckon his time has come, and we should take a look at his and the contenders of others to see where that takes us. OK Errol? As you can see, I am a man of my word. The credentials of all candidates that have been put forward, leaving out Winston and Maggie.
How's that?

Could I suggest the greatest Prime Minister was a distant cousin of mine and that was Britain's first Prime Minister William Walpole, also he did marry into the Churchill family

A brilliant PM would be Joseph M. Arpaio who promotes himself as "America's Toughest Sheriff”

He don't mess about with criminals. Shortly after taking office, Arpaio reinstituted chain gangs, a form of inmate labor that had been virtually eliminated in the United States. According to Arpaio, his chain gangs are not a form of punishment, but of rehabilitation.

Just the sort of chap to sort out crime.:whip:

Could I suggest the greatest Prime Minister was a distant cousin of mine and that was Britain's first Prime Minister William Walpole, also he did marry into the Churchill family

Yes, Walpole. This is second nomination for him, I believe. We should consider him.

How good would Enoch Powell have been; he was acclaimed as the most brilliant politician of his time of course, but sacrificed himself.

BritinAfrica :-

Your guy is not tough enough- when I was in Napier, New Zealand, around 1950, the chain gangs were still out on the roads. That is just far too liberal for our candidates!

Last edited:
Back