Do Britain Still Have an Airborne Force?

Yin717

Hey there guys!

I've always been interested in the Airborne and having joined an Airborne Re-enactment group I've been researching it alot lately. I knew that the British 1st Airborne Division had been disbanded at the end of the Second World War, due to Operation market Garden, and I've just discovered that the 6th Airborne Division was disbanded in 1948. However, we still have Paratrooper Regiments, referred to as para's like the Airborne, but how is this possible if Britain's only airborne division's were disbanded in the Second World War (or there about).

So my big question is, are these paratrooper regiment's still classified as airborne divisions, which I have seen synopsis' of books refer to them as, or are they just paratroopers which is different?

Thanks
Yin

I'm not sure I quite understand your question.
Do you ask whether we still have an airborne capability?

Likewise, I think you are mixing some concepts together. Regiment and Division are two different things.

The fact that you are airborne simply means that you are transported to your destination by plane or helicopter and does not mean that you are parachute trained.

Airborne forces can be divided into three categories:
Paratroopers - normally landed by parachute from aircraft.
Air landing troops - normally landed by an aircraft or glider.
Air assault troops or Airmobile troops - normally landed by a helicopter or aircraft.

The fact that you are airborne simply means that you are transported to your destination by plane or helicopter and does not mean that you are parachute trained.

Airborne forces can be divided into three categories:
Paratroopers - normally landed by parachute from aircraft.
Air landing troops - normally landed by an aircraft or glider.
Air assault troops or Airmobile troops - normally landed by a helicopter or aircraft.

I would say that in a historical context airborne is by parachute. The other being airmobile.

Fred​

Back