Bring Back Which President ?

Padre

Milforum Chaplain
If you could bring him back, which President of the USA would you like to return to office and why?

For me it's a toss up between:

1. Teddy Roosevelt - strong leader, adventerous, loved people and the environment, hard worker, brave, decorated war veteran, had vision and strong morals.
2. Jack Kennedy - flawed in personal life it seems, but inspirational in calling people to the service of their country and neighbours.
3. Franklin Roosevelt - big mistake giving into Soviets over Poland, East Germany, but magnificent leadership in two world-wide crises - The Great Depression and WWII.

For me any of these could return in 2005 and do a great job

JFK - for the exact reasons you posted Padre. But I think his effectiveness was a product of the era so you would have to wind back the clock in people's thinking as well for there to be any benefit.

I agree 2/3 but for different reasons. I never liked JFK. I find him overrated...

Teddy Roosevelt because of his strong ability to breakup corporate monopolies and other unfair business practices which did immeasurable harm to the country

Franklin Delano Roosevelt. The man's social programs were visionary as was his dedication to civil equality and his willingness to combat America's greatest enemy: poverty.

Abraham Lincoln. Perhaps the Greatest Leader ever his ability to inspire the country. His ability to sell the country on the Emanicaption proclaimation was brillance.

Teddy Roosevalt.....was a fine President in the late 19th Century, but I can't help but wonder how he would have got on in todays world. He was straight talking no nonsense sort of guy, who might have been just a bit lost in todays double dealing politicians.
Franklin Roosevelt, Now he thought he could control that friendly Uncle Joe [Stalin] as he called him, and let him have what ever he wanted and many of the conferences.
Jack Kennedy.... Forget about his personal life and look at just a few things he managed to do before his untimely end. He stood up to the Russians over the Cuban Missile crisis and got them to back down. He started of your Vietnam war and I wonder just how it would have finished if he had still been President. The one thing you can say about Kennedy is that he was a good public speaker and could carry the country along with him, also he was very highly respected abroad.

LeEnfield said:
Teddy Roosevalt.....was a fine President in the late 19th Century, but I can't help but wonder how he would have got on in todays world. He was straight talking no nonsense sort of guy, who might have been just a bit lost in todays double dealing politicians.
Franklin Roosevelt, Now he thought he could control that friendly Uncle Joe [Stalin] as he called him, and let him have what ever he wanted and many of the conferences.
Teddy Kennedy.... Forget about his personal life and look at just a few things he managed to do before his untimely end. He stood up to the Russians over the Cuban Missile crisis and got them to back down. He started of your Vietnam war and I wonder just how it would have finished if he had still been President. The one thing you can say about Kennedy is that he was a good public speaker and could carry the country along with him, also he was very highly respected abroad.

LeEnfield

I think you mean John F Kennedy. Ted (aka Edward) Kennedy is youngest brother after John and Robert he has never been president but is the current senetor from Massachusetts.

President Kennedy. He was a warrior, a savvy politician, and the only man alive capable of backing Khruschev down at that time. He was my Commander in Chief and I was glad he was in 1962. When the Soviet ships turned around and headed home, there wasn't a man in my outfit who wasn't proud to be American that day.

JFK - old style democrat, great leader, great president

Regan - great president, good guy, strong leader

I say bring back Millard Fillmore! Why? Because not a goddamn thing happened during his presidency and that's the way I like it. :bored:

Charge 7 said:
I say bring back Millard Fillmore! Why? Because not a goddamn thing happened during his presidency and that's the way I like it. :bored:

Charge 7, if you like Millard Fillmore, you would like Calvin Coolidge even more. He didn't do or say much and the economy boomed. A lady once went up to President Coolidge and said, "I wager $100 that I can get more than two words out of you. The President smiled at her and said, "You lose!" and walked away.

Padre said:
Charge 7 said:

Charge 7, if you like Millard Fillmore, you would like Calvin Coolidge even more. He didn't do or say much and the economy boomed. A lady once went up to President Coolidge and said, "I wager $100 that I can get more than two words out of you. The President smiled at her and said, "You lose!" and walked away.

Oh really happened?

Padre said:
Charge 7 said:

Gee, I'm from Vermont. You'd think I might've heard of Calvin Coolidge. :roll:

Gee, I'm from Vermont. You'd think I might've heard of Calvin Coolidge. :roll:[/quote]

Sorry Most Learned and Sage Master :salute2:

Well, you see it's just that here in Vermont, her native son, Calvin Coolidge, is something of a pseudo-saint. For a Vermonter to not be familiar with him would be like asking a Californian if he'd ever heard of Ronald Reagan. ;)

Franklen Rosevelt. He was a good leader during World War 2. If he was leading this campaign, I think the outcome might be a bit better.

Rabs + Missileer

Both of you gentlemen strike me as more conservative (pardon the generialization, but at least more than I) and both of you expressed admiration for JFK who is basically known as a liberal. I on the other hand am much more liberal and cannot stand JFK.

Odd isnt it? The world upside down...

Back