BREAKING: Three German soldiers killed in Afghanistan

ObjSRgtLw

Three German soldiers killed in Afghanistan

Published: 2 Apr 10 16:55 CET
Online: http://www.thelocal.de/national/20100402-26289.html
Three German soldiers were killed Friday in a gun battle in the Kunduz region of Afghanistan – the deadliest firefight of the Bundeswehr’s mission in the war-torn country.

Five more soldiers were seriously wounded in the battle in the dangerous district of Chahar Dara, south-west of Kunduz city, a spokesman at the Bundeswehr’s Military Command Centre confirmed.

The firefight against Taliban insurgents was still raging late Friday afternoon German time, with NATO fighters patrolling the air above Kunduz, lending support to the troops still locked in battle on the ground.

The soldiers also suffered a roadside bomb attack.

News magazine Der Spiegel reported that at least eight soldiers had been seriously wounded though the army spokesman confirmed only five.

The German soldiers were attacked from several directions during a patrol, Spiegel reported, citing Afghan police.

When the Germans eventually attempted to move to safer ground, their armoured car was hit by a bomb placed on or next to the road, injuring several soldiers, the magazine reported.

The badly wounded soldiers were taken by helicopter to the military camp in Kunduz.

This was the first deadly fight for German soldiers this year. Prior to the attack, 36 soldiers had been killed in Aghanistan.

These types of attacks has been more and more refined by the T,s lately.
Ambushes with overlaping fields of fire and one or more IED,s in and around the killzone.

RIP soldiers.

"All gave some, some gave all."

//KJ.

I can't understand one thing... When afghanistan's soldiers are wounded or killed, that is like a good thing, a victory of some kind. But, when some NATO soldiers are wounded or killed, that is tragedy?
Of course, it is. But it seems that western news agencies much less appreciate life of the foreigners, even when they are defenders, not aggressors.

I can't understand one thing... When afghanistan's soldiers are wounded or killed, that is like a good thing, a victory of some kind. But, when some NATO soldiers are wounded or killed, that is tragedy?
Of course, it is. But it seems that western news agencies much less appreciate life of the foreigners, even when they are defenders, not aggressors.

It is never a god thing when soldiers get killed but to say that it’s “a victory of some kind” when Afghan soldiers dies is not fair.

The bond shared by soldiers, is something nobody but another soldier can truly know. Or really explain. And to fully understand it, you have to experience it. Many of us have had contact with other NATO soldiers during our time in Afghanistan, but not so much with the Afghan soldiers so it’s easier to relate to, when it’s someone from a nation you have worked with.

Also the western news agencies normally only reports their own casualties. In the Danish Medias you seldom hear about other country’s losses.

But I can understand why you wonder.

Kristina

Let's hope they do...but I seriously doubt it. Because most of those pricks that call themselves our government are dancing on their graves with every word they say about Afghanistan.

They don't even admit that there's a war going on in Afghanistan. And as long as there's no war, the RoEs don't change, neither does the equipment. No artillery support, not enough drones, no attack helicopters...and so on. IFVs are the peak of German firepower.
No wonder the US are moving troops into the area. What's a soldier's worth if he isn't allowed (let alone equipped) to engage the enemy where he finds him? When you boil it all down, our soldiers are allowed to defend themselves when they are attacked directly. Full stop. That's it. All they can do is wait for the next ambush. Right now I think it would really be the best idea to get them home... :?

The German troops have manly operated in the northern parts of Afghanistan. Most of the attacks have been by suicide bombers or IED

R.I.P.
I was thinking that Geraman's have one of the most safe area's in Afghanistan...

That was true for a long time, but recently there are rumors that the local Taliban have been reinforced by 'colleagues' from Uzbekistan, Tajikistan and even Chechnya, many of them ex-military. They are better trained and also better equipped, e.g. in this attack at Good Friday, TPG-7V aerosol-grenades were used by the insurgents.

Troll.
How do you reckon we think it´s a good thing loosing people we have trained/lived with during the entirety of our rotation.
That was about the dumbest thing I have read on the internet for a few years..

Afghani police, soldiers and terps are of as much importance to the effort of ousting the Taliban as any western soldier in the AOO.

I DO NOT want a rgr on this, just go away..:roll:

//KJ.

Back