BREAKING: South Korean warship sinking after torpedo attack from North Korean Ship.

mmarsh

Breaking...

A South Korean Warship is sinking in the Yellow Sea, after it was thought to be torpedoed by a North Korea ship. Heavy casualties are feared...

The ship is thought to be a coastal Defense ship (Light frigate).

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2010/03/26/south-korean-news-agency-navy-ship-sinking-near-north-korea/

Details still coming...

OH BOY, this could be the start of something very serious, This could be North Korea finally going over the line. There is no way South Korea is going to tolerate such an attack on its armed forces, I'd be shocked if the South Korea DOESN'T retailiate. I am strangely reminded of the USS Reuben James.

Personally If I were the Korean PM, Bombers would be lifting off the runway on their way North.

Last edited:
CNN page says "
The 1,500-ton ship sank between 9 and 10 p.m. near the island, but the cause of the accident was not immediately known, officials said.
A rescue operation was under way. There were no immediate reports of casualties, but some sort of explosion occurred in the rear of the ship, officials told Yonhap."

Nothing about a North Korean torpedo?

//KJ.

Breaking...

A South Korean Warship is sinking in the Yellow Sea, after it was thought to be torpedoed by a North Korea ship. Heavy casualties are feared...

The ship is thought to be a coastal Defense ship (Light frigate).

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2010/03/26/south-korean-news-agency-navy-ship-sinking-near-north-korea/

Details still coming...

OH BOY, this could be the start of something very serious, This could be North Korea finally going over the line. There is no way South Korea is going to tolerate such an attack on its armed forces, I'd be shocked if the South Korea DOESN'T retailiate. I am strangely reminded of the USS Reuben James.

Personally If I were the Korean PM, Bombers would be lefting off the runway on their way North.
Oh dear.....I never thought I would live to see the second korean war, heck this could be world war III.

CNN page says "
The 1,500-ton ship sank between 9 and 10 p.m. near the island, but the cause of the accident was not immediately known, officials said.
A rescue operation was under way. There were no immediate reports of casualties, but some sort of explosion occurred in the rear of the ship, officials told Yonhap."

Nothing about a North Korean torpedo?

//KJ.
MSNBC says that it is investigating if the culprit was the North koreans, because the SKs fired at a NK ship for crossing a disputed border.

MSNBC says that it is investigating if the culprit was the North koreans, because the SKs fired at a NK ship for crossing a disputed border.

Then it´s about the correct interdiction and who fiered first and alot of other stuff.
My guess is they will sort this out thoroughly before any action is taken.

//KJ.

There is also a report of a 2nd SK ship that fired on a unidentified ship shortly after the first ship was hit.

The initial news is always blurry like this.
But if anyone's asking, will there be a war because of this incident, the answer is no. Hopefully some of the ROEs will be loosened further.

But if anyone's asking, will there be a war because of this incident, the answer is no. Hopefully some of the ROEs will be loosened further.
And what does ROE stand for? My knowledge of acronyms is drawing a blank here.

Oh dear.....I never thought I would live to see the second korean war, heck this could be world war III.

uh, North Korea and South Korea ARE at war, there was only a cease fire, not a end to the Korean war.

We hope there won;t be another war.

It's been linked with this event:
http://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/library/news/dprk/2010/dprk-100326-rianovosti01.htm
Basically South Korea, the US and China meeting to discuss what happens in the event of Kim Jong-il's death or complete removal from power, the former which is possible any day now.
That makes the North Koreans look weak, so they've decided to show how strong they are by sinking a South Korean Navy ship.
I understand that doing anything like sinking the entire North Korean Navy would be counter productive at this point but loosening up some ROEs might be appropriate.

UPDATE

Abit more info. The name of the ship that sunk (and it has confirmed now to have sunk) was the CHEONAN (PC-772). She is a 1200T Corvette of the POHANG Class with a crew of 104. 58 Survivors have been rescued the others are missing.

The conditions are supposed to be very poor. Bad weather, cold seas making picking up swimmers unlikely, however a small portion of the hull is still above water therefore there is a chance that there might be crew trapped within the hull.

The cause of the sinking is unknown but it thought to have been due to an explosion underneath the waterline.

As for who or what was responsible...still unknown but modern warships don't generally sink themselves. I think we can take a wild guess.

Could this be a conspiracy by South Korea to reopen the war with or without US approval. After all, normally naval confrontations between the two countries have North Korea claiming South Korea attacked them. In this case could it be a setup to give South Korea an excuse to restart the war?
Is it possible South Korea staged the whole thing? Like the US was accused of doing with the USS Maine?

In the papers today"officials" seem to be backing off blaming N. Korea. Are the South Koreans getting caught in a lie about the torpedo attack?

It's been linked with this event:
http://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/library/news/dprk/2010/dprk-100326-rianovosti01.htm
Basically South Korea, the US and China meeting to discuss what happens in the event of Kim Jong-il's death or complete removal from power, the former which is possible any day now.
That makes the North Koreans look weak, so they've decided to show how strong they are by sinking a South Korean Navy ship.
I understand that doing anything like sinking the entire North Korean Navy would be counter productive at this point but loosening up some ROEs might be appropriate.

Ya know one thing that really bugs me, if the United States is still in the business of totally eradicating communism, why are we meeting with China? Aren't they still a communist country? Last time I bothered to check it was N Korea, Vietnam, laos, China, and Cuba, as communist countries. Makes me wonder who's bed the U.S govt is in.

Could this be a conspiracy by South Korea to reopen the war with or without US approval. After all, normally naval confrontations between the two countries have North Korea claiming South Korea attacked them. In this case could it be a setup to give South Korea an excuse to restart the war?
Is it possible South Korea staged the whole thing? Like the US was accused of doing with the USS Maine?

In the papers today"officials" seem to be backing off blaming N. Korea. Are the South Koreans getting caught in a lie about the torpedo attack?
Its only theory and very unfortunately, so far, there is no proof for denial of such (including me). It would be preferred circumstance by me considering potential political implications if we wrong and I am not talking, just about US, there would be much bigger power shuffling on the table.

never know

Ya know one thing that really bugs me, if the United States is still in the business of totally eradicating communism, why are we meeting with China? Aren't they still a communist country? Last time I bothered to check it was N Korea, Vietnam, laos, China, and Cuba, as communist countries. Makes me wonder who's bed the U.S govt is in.
I'd reply, that US gov is already in bed with China, Russia and doing quite a bit to get better relations with Cuba, but rogue states like N Korea and Iran is hard(impossible really) to reason with
:my $0.02c:

I don't think North Korea was involved in the sinking of this ship. More likely it was an incident, the South Korean ship probably hit a sea mine.

Back