BREAKING: South Korean warship sinking after torpedo attack from North Korean Ship.

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english2010/world/2010-04/14/c_13250745.htm
13250745_11n.jpg

S Korean sunken naval warship to be salvaged Thursday
File photo shows a South Korean naval ship, the Cheonan, sinks near South Korea's Baeknyeong Island, close to DPRK, in the western waters on Saturday, March 27, 2010. (Xinhua/Reuters File Photo)
SEOUL, April 14 (Xinhua) -- Salvage work for a stern of a sunken South Korean naval worship will begin Thursday morning, raising hopes that bodies of missing sailors will be recovered soon, Seoul's Yonhap News Agency reported Wednesday.

The 1,200-ton corvette with 104 crew members onboard sank late last month into waters near the tense maritime border after an unexplained explosion, leaving the authorities here scrambling for days to determine what caused the disaster.

Fifty-eight crew members were rescued alive from the sinking ship, while two were found dead and other 44 remain unaccounted for. Missing sailors are believed to be trapped inside the rear part of the vessel.
Not long now....

I fear the remaining 44 will also be lost. :(
Time to change the ROEs.
do fear- you being correct as all indications about are, that, even in case of NK being to blame- little will be done about it...
ANW
http://news.xinhuanet.com/english2010/photo/2010-04/15/c_13253142.htm
S Korea hoists sunken warship
13253141_11n.jpg

Workers using a giant offshore crane salvages portion of the sunken South Korean naval ship Cheonan off Baengnyeong Island, South Korea, Thursday, April 15, 2010. (Xinhua/AFP Photo)
13253140_11n.jpg

A giant offshore crane salvages portion of the sunken South Korean naval ship Cheonan off Baengnyeong Island, South Korea, Thursday, April 15, 2010. (Xinhua/AFP Photo)
13253138_11n.jpg

Accidental perhaps. But it was North Korean.
They lost that mine and never bothered to tell us.
Maybe we should start "losing" land mines over North Korea and not bother to tell anyone.

Can anyone see any damage in these photos? The ship was struck in the rear, correct? The screws appear to be intact, but I have no experience appraising the damage on warships.

Can anyone see any damage in these photos? The ship was struck in the rear, correct? The screws appear to be intact, but I have no experience appraising the damage on warships.

The news reports said the explosion occurred in the aft section, ships don't have rears.:-D

Believe this type of patrol craft uses a combination gas turbine and diesel engine, could be an engine room explosion or a mine under the keel.

Guess we wait for the official report instead of the news speculation.

Wow, I left myself open for that one. At least I didn't call it a boat, right? But in all honesty, I'm sure many of us are waiting with bated breath for the report. Rumors and speculation closely follows tragedy, I suppose.

Report: N. Korea torpedoed South’s navy ship

SEOUL - South Korea's military believes a torpedo fired from a North Korean submarine sank its navy ship last month, based on intelligence gathered jointly with the United States, a news report said on Thursday.
The Yonhap news report appears to be the clearest sign yet that Seoul believes Pyongyang is to blame for what would be one of the deadliest incidents between the rivals since the end of the 1950-53 Korean War.
The military's intelligence arm sent the report of "certain" North Korean involvement to the presidential Blue House soon after the March 26 incident, Yonhap quoted a high-ranking military source as saying.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36719272/ns/world_news-asiapacific/

Well, they just said it was an external explosion, but an intelligence agency suspected publicly that it was probably North Korea's fault. The official report still needs some work...

This article mentions impact damage to the bow, but the author is of limited knowledge, I'd guess, by mentioning a large iron "gate" off its hinges & a "chimney"(?).

I think we will just have to wait for more evidence, as in the beginning they said the explosion occurred in the aft section. Patrol craft this size would easily be blown in half by either a mine or a torpedo, less likely but an engine room explosion could do damage.

Torpedoes and mines are designed to be effective against bigger ships, that is where the old term for small fast destroyers came by the name "tin cans". As in, if the got hit by a torpedo they opened up like a tin can.

I think the reference to a chimney is because the reporter is not nautical and doesn't know the difference between a chimney and an exhaust stack of a ship.

Water tight metal doors might translate as iron gate.

The evidence/report is out and most you where right- what now? would be hard to believe, that so many nations will accept being powerless to do anything about this murder, on the other hand- there's got to be justices served

N.K. threatens War.
North Korea has waged a slew of attacks on South Korea since the 1950-53 fighting ended, including the 1987 downing of a South Korean airliner that killed all 115 people on board.
ow yeh... forgotten that one...
On a serious note- would anybody go to NK and have a war (justifiable), but hell risky, or is it another got muscles- no need for brains scenario?

Being impoverished, broke, and surrounded by loads of aging military equipment and a strong sense of propaganda to wards a nationally hated, and well known enemy, but with no attack orders, and no targets.....

Smells just like I don't know, Europe in 1989?

Two wound up springs ready to pop off, however both sides don't want to be the one to set the other off, but in a tender box, having just one kid playing with matches, or more appropriately torpedoes, could set the whole freakin region on fire.

Back