Breaking the news to the parents?

Flame0313

I am going to be joining the Marine Corps soon. The thing is i don't know how to tell it to my parents. My situation is complicated, I moved to the states 4 years ago as a foreign student to get my Bachelor, and now i am about to become a US resident. Joining the Corps is really important to me for many reasons but first to serve this great country and do it among the best.
The thing is how can i make my parents understand why i am doing this after so many years of school, especially in a time of war. I come from france so you can see why it is a problem...hehe :oops:
Anyway any help would be greatly appreciated, I am sure y'all had to go through that somehow and finding informations on how to do that is hard to find online and that is one thing the recruiter is no help with.
P.S:My parents love the US.

i would be if you told them strait up and didnt sugar coat it, they would understand. tell them its just what you want to do to further your career and dont lie to them.

Tell them it is something youve thought long and hard about. that the country has given you something and you want to give something back. you want to make a difference. It's your choice.

I do not know how much help I can be. I met a recruiter when I was 17 and decided to join up. My mom was dead set in not signing the papers to let me sign up at 17. I finally told my mom that if she did not sign the papers, I would sign up the day of my 18th birthday. It took my mom about 2 years of me being in the military to realize I was doing something good.

With that said, my advice is to be very truthful in talking to your parents. Tell them exactly why you are going in. Don't paint a pretty picture of some BS reason why you are joining. We are at war and no mother wants her son to march off to war. My step dad was more understanding and actually wanted me to persue a career in the military. Don't worry If all else fails and you and your parents do not see eye to eye. Prove to them that you are doing the right thing by setting the example in what you do in the USMC. Parents love it when their sone or daughter excels.

Thanks a lot, so i guess i'm gonna have to gut it out, I love my parents to death but nothing can decide me out of the Marine Corps. I think they know by now that when something is of interest to me nothing can stand in my way. Last year they thought i was crazy when i told them i was gonna run the Marine Corps Marathon which i finished (in pain...hehe). So they know I am strong willed. Thank you all for your answers.

Be honest and tell them straight it is what you want to do and you are going to do it, and then just tell them that you hope that they will never be disappointed in your decision. To be honest there is not a lot they can say, and it is not as if you are turning to drugs or anything, so you should find that they will soon come around to the idea.

Doody said:
We are at war and no mother wants her son to march off to war.

I agree. Just yesterday I had my 'discussion' with my parents. They understand, but will do anything to convince me not to go. Many people do not understand why we feel we must do what we do, and parents have an even larger reason not to allow themselves to see. Straight up tell them, but be respectful.

Yeah, telling them exactly why you want to join is always the best. When my parents first found out I wanted to be in the military they didn't think too much of it. They probably thought it would blow over soon. But I started to talk about a career and one day my dad finally asked why I wanted to join. I told him why and he is happy with why I want to join even though he doesn't really want his only son to be a Marine. For the fact that a war is on and other may happen if we don't settle our differences. Hopefully it won't come to more wars but you never know.

My parents want me to join the military. My grandfather is even helping me in my quest to go to the Naval Academy. I guess I'm lucky my folks are so understanding. For all you who have reluctant parents, just remember, it's your life once you are 18 :lol:

and in the end, they are most likely against it because of theri love for you, they dont want to see you die.
if you train hard and become the best you can, you will make them proud and alleviate thier fears

My situation is a bit different due to my age. I'm married with a family of my own. I still experienced some negative feedback from family though. Do your best to help them understand in love why you have made your choice. Like the others said, they will eventually come around. Good luck in the Marines!

Your Parents will naturally be worried about the possibility of you being deployed, if they weren't concered there would be a problem.
I say, be honest, and truthful, if you can't explain why deep down you want to join (like myself), then just tell them, they will understand.
Even if they don't agree straight away, they will eventully learn to respect your decision, and be very proud of you.

I know what impresses my parents, is telling them about opportunites you get in the Forces, even plot out a career path you want to take. If they have a good understanding of the life you will lead in the Marines, they won't worry as much.

I'm in 3rd getting my Ba Flame, going to join up myself. I just told my parents this summer I was joining. They werent 2 happy (still think they dont believe I'm actually going to join). From Ireland joining up British, so you can imagine the problems thats bringing out. But I would just tell them, if they are mad give them a chance to cool down. Once they know you have your mind made up there is nothing they can do, and they will accept it. They have no other choice but to accept it. Once your happy they will be 2. Best of luck!

sounds like you have had plenty of advice but throwing mine in will not hurt...I met my recruiter at a job fair at the college I go to on a Tuesday; that Thursday I went and sat down and talked about the options, and decided that my life here in MD was getting me now where close to where I would like to be, I was unemployed, had no life, and just got a C on a test, so I decided to join. I told my parents that weekend seperatley what I was going to do, my mom was upset, my dad is retired military (USCG) so he was extremley proud. I did not sugar coat, or b.s. stuff. I was upfront and honest and respectfully!!! My parents appreciated it..and one day when I am a parent and my kid comes up and says that he/she wants to join the military...I hope they will do it the same way...

GOOD LUCK

I agree with the others that you should be completely honest with your parents. Outline exactly why you want to join, etc.

I also agree that parents would try to stop you because they don't want to see you injured or killed.

I'm quite fortunate in that my Mum - my main parent - is very supportive that I want to joini the airforce.

hey, i have the same problem. i'm 17, so i'm countin down the days, its gunna be tough telling my parents. my parents know that i want to join the guard, however they even went so far as to tell me i couldnt take the car my grandfather wanted to give me unless i promised to try college for a year before joinng. i kinda bs'd my way ouuta that somehow...i have the car.. but i promised them wen the time came that i would sit down and talk about it with them and be reasonable... my def. of resonable however includes joining the guard...my mothers' does not. i absolutly cant wait until graduation, and its really hard to go against my mom especially whom im really close to, but i feel it in my gut that its what im supposed to do, and i dont want to look back and have regrets. once i tell them ive joined they are goin to cut all financial ties...and wont even come to see me graduate basic training. thats how againt it they are. on top of ths they are extremely religious, so they ask me wat god wants for my life, and i guess at the same time i will have to break it to them that i dont know/dont care. that will be worse for me than joining. so good luck and if you learn anything from your experience pleease let me know... :) (being a girl hasnt helped my case much either :lol: )

Back