BREAKING NEWS - Joe Torre back with the Yankees

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
BREAKING NEWS - Joe Torre NOT back with the Yankees

Looks like Joe Torre will be back with the Yankees next year. Hearing that they are negotiating a one year contract for him with a Team option for 2009.

More coming I am sure.

change:
Blood on their hands

Yanks look disorganized, cowardly after Torre's exit

1.gif
CLEVELAND -- When he was robust and running the New York Yankees, George Steinbrenner never minded a little blood on his hands. He swung his firing axe decisively and often. I was there in Chicago at old Comiskey Park when Dale Berra cried into his dirty sanitary sock when Steinbrenner fired his father, Yogi, only 16 games into the 1985 season. Steinbrenner was rash, but he took the heat for it.
Cruel? Maybe. But on Thursday, the New York Yankees, with Steinbrenner's health rendering him little more than a figurehead, descended into a far darker and disrespectful place. Under the leadership of president Randy Levine, who commandered the news conference yesterday as if general manager Brian Cashman and Steinbrenner's two sons, Hank and Hal, didn't exist, the Yankees let corporate cowardice be their guide. This is a peek of life after George.
Levine's Yankees are proud of themselves today because they think they ran Joe Torre out of New York without getting blood on their hands. They think you are dumb enough to believe that Torre was not fired, that they really, really wanted him back, but that, golly gee, Torre turned down their offer.

Last edited:
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20071018&content_id=2271234&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

NEW YORK -- Joe Torre is in Tampa, Fla., meeting with Yankees executives, the New York Post reported on its Web site Thursday, and a contract extension appears to be imminent.

The Yankees have scheduled a conference call for 4 p.m. ET amid reports that a contract extension has been finalized.
The newspaper reported that Torre departed from an airport near his home in Harrison, N.Y., and landed in Florida at 1:26 p.m. ET, accompanied by general manager Brian Cashman and chief operating officer Lonn Trost.
The three were taken by automobile to Legends Field, where it is believed that Torre has met with club president Randy Levine and principal owner George Steinbrenner, plus sons Hank and Hal Steinbrenner, to discuss Torre's future with the team.
The Yankees completed two days of face-to-face organizational meetings in Tampa on Wednesday, with Cashman flying back to New York after discussing the issue of whether Torre would return for a 13th season as manager in 2008.
Before leaving Legends Field on Wednesday, Cashman told reporters, "The decision that we're talking about is obviously re-hiring somebody, and there's a negotiation if you do so. Those are the decisions we have to come to, if that's the direction we choose to go. That takes time." Torre, 67, is under contract to manage the Yankees through Oct. 31 and was baseball's highest paid manager in 2007, earning more than $7 million. The Yankees have made the playoffs in each of his 12 seasons at the helm but have not advanced past the first round since 2004.

TI

Are you a New Yorker? Just wondering...

As for Torre, its hard to justify firing a Manager who has won the world series 4 Times in the past 12 years, even for a real jerk like Steinbrenner who has this great ability to ruin Yankee baseball.

I think one of the reasons I hate the Yankees is the fact that so many people who know nothing about baseball are "Yankees Fans" because they want to be "in." You never hear anyone say, "Well, I don't know much about baseball, but I kind of like the Devil Rays."

And the money part...

hey, i have been a yankee fan since Ron Guidrey was a starter and Dave Winfield was playing outfield... Rick Cerrone as catcher, Greg Neddles, Bucky Dent, Willie Randolph... and the ultimate closer, Goose Gossage....

Hell, I even share a birthday with Mickey Mantle...

I think one of the reasons I hate the Yankees is the fact that so many people who know nothing about baseball are "Yankees Fans" because they want to be "in." You never hear anyone say, "Well, I don't know much about baseball, but I kind of like the Devil Rays."

And the money part...

lol....I know a lot of people like that.

I became a Yankees fan when I was about 12 years old....just to tick off my family.....their pick The Braves. But have loved the Yankees ever since!

hey, i have been a yankee fan since Ron Guidrey was a starter and Dave Winfield was playing outfield... Rick Cerrone as catcher, Greg Neddles, Bucky Dent, Willie Randolph... and the ultimate closer, Goose Gossage....

OK, so either TI's a real fan, or he knows how to use foxsports. ;) Just kiddin TI. Yeah, I'm a Braves fan...Born in GA...

OK I just gathered a whole new respect for you. Anyone whose that committed a Bombers fan isn't all bad. You, DTOP, and I once a Yanks fan, always a Yanks fan. Its in the blood.
:bravo:

I remember that period (late 70s, early 80s) VERY well. Though I'll add Mr. October and Tommy John and of course a little later on The Great One: Don Mattingly. :pray:

For you youngins;

Its true the Yanks has it share of "fairweather" fans, you can usually find them in their corporate season seats (which are only occupied during the play-offs) but anybody who remember the 1981 (the year they went to the show) Yanks starting lineup is a true fan.

Last edited:
Tommy John and Dave Rigetti were great pitchers for the Yankees. I remember seeing a Yankee game in Anaheim when I was a kid. One of the best I ever saw.

meh, I'm a Halos fan too.

Something about growing up in a Cleveland family is you learn to respect and love your losers. Except the new Browns.

Back