Bravo two zero

bored

A week ago I started a thread asking are there any films about the British SAS. One of the answers was Andy McNab's Bravo two zero starring sean bean, I have ordered the dvd version and I will get in a few days but while I am waiting I did be more research about the Bravo two zero mission and there seems to three books about the Bravo two zero mission:

Andy McNab's Bravo Two-Zero

Chris ryan's The One That Got Away

Michael Asher 's The Real "Bravo Two Zero": The Truth Behind "Bravo Two Zero"

Out of curiousity has anyone read any of the books or all three books? Which is the best one to read? Which is the most truthful?

Bravo Two Zero was a good movie, too bad it didn't do so well here in the states, it being a british production... I noticed you boys make nice films over there on that island.

i have read "the real bravo two zero" but i haven't read the original, which in retrospect was a mistake, because now i dont think i will be able to read the original and believe it, because he seems to comprehensively refute a lot of what he says mcnab claims

Nice bit of fiction reading there. I've read them all, not worth a grain of salt for historical accuracy, but for entertainment, go for it.

AussieNick said:
Nice bit of fiction reading there. I've read them all, not worth a grain of salt for historical accuracy, but for entertainment, go for it.

which one? all of them :?

Sorry, should have been more clear in my post. Now that I re-read it, I see it makes no sense. I've read them all, and the Andy McNab publication is a bit.... um.... naff.

The real bravo two zero is supposedly the truth

mcnabs and ryans contradict each other on quite a few points:

McNab: ''I got back to the LUP and walked up to the stag with my weapon held out like a cross''

Ryan: ''Andy was bollocking Vince for falling asleep on Stag''

----------------------------------------

McNab: ''We didnt use slings. Why would you want a weapon strapped to you?''

Ryan'' We put the slings over our heads and carried on walking''

AussieNick,

Haven´t there been quite the ruckus about a former member of "Group" down your way who thought about publishing something?

Last I heard of it was that the military was stopping publication due to classified subjects, but he was going to fight it..

Anyways..
IMHO these books are all shait.
You can never explain to someone who has never BTDT how it was or what it was like.
If you want to know, enlist or get commisioned.
Work hard towards your goal and find out first hand what life in these units are all about.
If you got what it takes maybe one day you will be the one with the intel..
Then YOU can make a decision if you want to try and share it with someone who have never done shit..

Just some personal thoughts on this subject.

//KJ

i've read all three.

i founf "the real bravo two zero" to be more believable. primarily because the author doesn't make himself out to be a hero. and he hasn't written anything since

If you want to know, enlist or get commisioned.

I'm enlisted, and I've got my commision. Doesn't mean you find out anymore than anybody else, in fact, probably less knowing the army :D

As for somebody wanting to publish a book with classified material, I'd say it'd be an ex-sas soldier, but I've heard nothing about it.

it was a kiwi ex-member of the british SAS. and the ministry of defence came down on him like the angry fist of god (with lawyers)

There ya go.
The book was called "Soldier five" I think after being intouch with a friend.

//KJ

It's ridiculously irresponsible. It teaches the enemy the techniques your comrades will employ on their next deployment.

ok

I met Andy Macnab a long time ago...................I used to do work with the "nothings" (what i called SF's) Any way Andy was invited to a party and he seemed ok..................i read his book then after that. I had actually seen the film the yr it came out which i think is accurate. Of course for certain reasons things weren't allowed to be told.

Andy has a way of putting things......................there the same as what ryan says just in a different way, its not hard to figure out!! I know when i left the navy jan 2004 they came hard down on me, mafde me sign all these secret acts etc. And i know andy got pounded on big time and cus of what he does people in the forces that do any type of "secret" job get hassaled before thy leave more than a normal rating to sign secret acts etc.

These do not teach the enemey anything that they do not know already...................all they gotta do is what a film or watch the news. Its the intel that is the secret

Back