Brandenburgers

Genghis_Kan

Brandenburgers are the elite german commando in WW2. Their most famous mission is in Stalingrad. See Below

"In early August 1941, a Brandenburger unit of 62 Baltic and Sudeten Germans led by Freiherr Adrian von F?rsam penetrated farther into enemy territory than any other German unit. They had been ordered to seize and secure the vital Maikop Oilfields. Disguised as dreaded NKVD men, and driving Soviet trucks, F?rsam?s unit passed through the Soviet Front lines and moved deep into hostile territory. The Brandenburgers ran into a large group of Red Army deserters fleeing from the front. F?rsam saw an opportunity to use them to the unit?s advantage. By persuading them to return to the Soviet cause, he was able to join with them and move almost at will through the Russian lines.

Operating under false identity of NKVD Major Truchin based in Stalingrad, F?rsam explained his role in recovering the deserters to the Soviet commander in charge of Maikop's defenses. The commander not only believed F?rsam, but the next day gave him a personal tour of the city's defenses. By August 8, the German spearheads were only 12 miles away. The Brandenburgers made their move. Using grenades to simulate an artillery attack, they knocked out the military communications center for the city. F?rsam then went to the Russian defenders and told them that a withdrawal was taking place. Having seen F?rsam with their commander and lacking any communications to rebut or confirm his statement, the Soviets began to evacuate Maikop. The German spearhead entered the city without a fight on August 9, 1941."

Man they ar quite amazing. Can anyone tell me more about other of their missions? thx

Last edited:
They infiltrated the English mainland. I've read a lot about them in one of my books. Check out "Daring Missions of WWII" for more info.

Genghis_Kan said:
Brandenburgers are the elite german commando in WW2. Their most famous mission is in Stalingrad. See Below

"In early August 1941, a Brandenburger unit of 62 Baltic and Sudeten Germans led by Freiherr Adrian von F?rsam penetrated farther into enemy territory than any other German unit. They had been ordered to seize and secure the vital Maikop Oilfields.

I have never heard about this story, but I have learned history by the soviet books:lol:

However, Maikop is situated a few hundred kilometers from Stalingrad. Would you mind if somebody will call the Battle of Waterloo the Battle of Amsterdam instead?:lol:

The German attack has been done by moving towards two distinct and distant targets - city of Stalingrad(a very important transportation and industrial center) and the oil fields of the Northern Caucasus. The troops that were conquering the Caucasus didn't belong to the German 6th Army under Gen. Paulus. So, I wouldn't cal this reid as a part of the Stalingrad Operation

deerslayer said:
They infiltrated the English mainland. .
The only German soldiers to 'infiltrate' the British mainland in WW2 did so as POW's.

At no point in WW2 did any armed German Forces land on the British mainland

Last edited:
boris116 said:
However, Maikop is situated a few hundred kilometers from Stalingrad. Would you mind if somebody will call the Battle of Waterloo the Battle of Amsterdam instead?:lol:

dude wt u want me to call it then. The success is in Stalingrad

deerslayer said:
They infiltrated the English mainland. I've read a lot about them in one of my books. Check out "Daring Missions of WWII" for more info.

jo never heard of that before. Mind telling me about it?

redcoat said:
The only German soldiers to 'infiltrate' the British mainland in WW2 did so as POW's.

At no point in WW2 did any armed German Forces land on the British mainland

How can u be so sure?

Genghis_Kan said:
How can u be so sure?
Because there is no historial evidence what-so-ever from either British or German sources.
Dozens of historians have looked into this possiblity, none have found any evidence to back up the rumours.

Its a WW2 myth (one of many)

I lived in Southern England during the war, and if there had been a raid into England I think every one would have heard about it.

Genghis_Kan said:
dude wt u want me to call it then. The success is in Stalingrad

What success?
That operation had taken place in Maikop and wasn't a part of the Push to the Volga River. The taking of Maikop could be called a success(if it did happened), but it had not related to Stalingrad which was a huge fiasco for the Germans.
If people in the West know just a few cities in Russia, it doesn't mean that other cities do not exist:sorry:

Genghis_Kan said:

"In early August 1941, a Brandenburger unit of 62 Baltic and Sudeten Germans led by Freiherr Adrian von F?rsam penetrated farther into enemy territory than any other German unit. They had been ordered to seize and secure the vital Maikop Oilfields.
While their actions were indeed bold and daring, the mission itself was a failure.
The Red Army had already comprehensively demolished the Maikop oil wells so effectively that the Germans didn't get a usable drop out of them in six months of occupation, despite employing a specially recruited oil brigade to repair them.

boris116 said:
What success?
That operation had taken place in Maikop and wasn't a part of the Push to the Volga River. The taking of Maikop could be called a success(if it did happened), but it had not related to Stalingrad which was a huge fiasco for the Germans.
If people in the West know just a few cities in Russia, it doesn't mean that other cities do not exist:sorry:
Oh i am sorry about misusing the word success.:sorry: Actually they failed their objective. But I mean they ar pretty successful in help the Germans entering the city. I am just amazed by the way they fooled the Russian.

redcoat said:
Because there is no historial evidence what-so-ever from either British or German sources.
Dozens of historians have looked into this possiblity, none have found any evidence to back up the rumours.

Its a WW2 myth (one of many)

Well i am not implying that this is true. I am just saying there's a possiblity. Actually maybe u ar right. the Brandenburgers also recuit foreigners.

Last edited:
Genghis_Kan said:
Oh i am sorry about misusing the word success.:sorry: Actually they failed their objective. But I mean they ar pretty successful in help the Germans entering the city. I am just amazed by the way they fooled the Russian.
quote]

I think there were two reasons behind it(besides their unuestionable daring and bravery):
1. Most of the team has lived in Russia or in the Balqtic states before the war thus it was easier for them to fool the Russians. In the same time, the majority of similarly qualified people in the USSR have been persecuted specifically because of these qualifications. If you lived abroad for some time, speak foreign language, have relatives abroad - then you will be under suspicion authomatically.

2. From the Riussian standpoint, the situation was critical. So the regime was going to the extra heights(or lows) in trying to hold the front by any means, including the terror against it's own troops. In this situation, any resolute officer with the right papers and/or voice loud enough could instill fear into the solgiers. The fear of their own, not of the enemy.
In Russia, there is a proverb: "The initiative is punishable". So, why challenge the officer, who seems to know what he is doing?

Back