which branch of the military do you prefer?

Since I am a retired Army Surgeon, I obviously prefer the Army.

For the person who said "Marine Corps, It's got more tradition and more history. Plus, they kick way more ass than the Army", I have these words, some of which have been posted on other internet forums.

The US Army is 5 months older than the Marine Corps. Before the Continental Marines ever came into existence, Continental Army troops fought the Battles of Lexington and Concord, had established the siege of Boston, had captured Fort Ticonderoga and its contained military stores, and had invaded Canada.

The Continental Marine Corps went out of existence in 1783. The US Marine Corps came into existence in 1798. There is a 15 year period in this country's history in which no Marine Corps ever existed to kick anyone's ass. The Army never went out of existence.

I recently watched the opening of "Battle History of the US Marines" on History International, something authored by a Marine Lieutenant Colonel. It was stated that a Battalion of Continental Marines crossed the Delaware with George Washington and fought in the Battle of Trenton.

Trenton was, in my opinion, the most significant victory in this country's history. The Continental Marines DID NOT fight at Trenton. That Marine Battalion was assigned to Cadwalader's Brigade of Philadelphia Militia. Cadwalader's Brigade was supposed to dross the Delaware, take up positions south of Assunpink Creek, and block the Hessian retreat. Because of conditions on the Delaware, Cadwalader's Brigade never got across the Delaware.

This is for Robert Coram who has written a recent biography of General Victor Krulak. In that book Mr. Coram makes a statement about the Army jumping on Marine Corps lily pads and claiming them for the Army.

The Marine Corps Hymn opens with the words, "From the Halls of Montezuma". This refers to Winfield Scott's capture of Mexico City in the Mexican War. Many Marines, Marine admirers claim the Marines spearheaded that campaign.

Winfield Scott developed the plan for landing troops in Mexico, capturing Vera Cruz, and then marching on Mexico City. A force of 12,000 soldiers landed on March 9, 1847, the first large scale amphibious operation in US Military History, and established the siege of Vera Cruz. Vera Cruz capitulated on March 29, 1847. Winfield Scott then marched into Mexico with approximately 9,000 Soldiers. On April 18, 1847, Scott's Soldiers routed a fortified, numerically superior Mexican force at the Battle of Cerro Gordo. Scott then proceeded to Puebla.

At Puebla, Scott had to release thousands of troops, volunteers whose enlistments had expired. Scott waited at Puebla for reinforcements. Reinforcements included one Battaliopn of Marines numbering fewer than 400 officers and men. The Marine Battalion was assigned to Quitman's 4th Division.

Scott advanced on Mexico City with a force of between 12,000 and 13,000 men. Scott's Soldiers fought three battles before Mexico City, Contreras on August 19-20 1847, Churubusco on April 20, 1847 and El Molino del Rey on September 6, 1847, a particularly bitter battle in which Scott's soldiers defeated a numerically superior Mexican force. While Soldiers fought these battles, Quitman's Division, including the Marines, guarded Supply wagons.

Scott brought Quitman's Division forward for the assault on Chapultepec. Pillows Division, supported by units of Worth's Division, was to make the main assault. Quitman's Division was to make a supporting attack. In the assault on Chapultepec, Quitman's Division, including the Marines, was stopped short of the fortress. The Marine Battalion remained stopped outside of Chapultepec for the duration of the assault. Soldiers from Quitman's Division, from Pillow's Division and from Worth's Division were the infantry that scaled the walls, fought the garrison, and took the fortress.

After the fall of Chapultepec, Quitman pushed his Division, including the Marines down the Belen causeway and captured the Belen gate. Worth's Division captured the San Cosme gate. One company of Marines accompanied Worth.

After those gates fell, Worth and Quitman advanced into the city. Quitman's Division took the formal surrender of the city(which had been negotiated by Army Lieutenant P.G.T. Beauregard). Army General Worth took down the Mexican flag at the National Palace. A Marine then hoisted the American Flag.

Trenton and "The Halls of Montezuma" are examples of the Marine Corps embellishing its history by jumping on Army lily pads and claiming them for its own. I call it particularly obnoxious that Marines will claim that the Marine Corps spearheaded the campaign for Mexico City. Regardless of any opinion on the Mexican War, that was one of the most remarkable campaigns in military history, and it was an Army show, from start to finish. Marine Corps participation was incidental and insignificant to the outcome.

Now for some fighting words. Marines have called the Marine Corps legendary. Claiming credit for fighting in battles in which a service played little to no role is not the stuff of legend. I would call it more like the stuff of stolen valor.

Last edited:
For Sgt. Rafael Peralta ,United States Marine Corps
Company A, 1st Bn, 3rd Marine Regt, 3rd Marine Divison

Chuck Lawliss wrote a book called THE MARINE BOOK. In it he makes a statement to the effect that the Marines defending Bataan resented General MacArthur for remaining on Corregidor. Mr. Lawliss neglects to mention that fewer than 100 Marines were ever on Bataan, more than half of whom were in a support unit, not a front line combat unit. There were about 79,000 troops on Bataan, about 12,000 of whom were Soldiers. The largest Marine Unit, the 4th Marine Regiment, a little less than 1400 strong, remained on Corregidor during the Battle of Bataan, just like MacArthur.

Your Marine Corps has a penchant for claiming a lot of credit for actions in which its participation was minimal. Maybe that is one reason for dislike of the Marine Corps. Their outstanding combat record includes a lot of claims for credit for battles in which their participation was minimal.

Marines have called the Corps legendary. Claiming credit for battles you never fought is not the stuff of legends. If anything, it would be the stuff of stolen valor.

Incidentally, in 1998, A&E televised a history of the Marine Corps. In introducing that history General Mundy, retired U.S. Marine Corps Commandant, claimed, falsely, that the 4th Marine Regiment fought for four months on Bataan before withdrawing to Corregidor(source:http://home.pacbell.net/fbaldie/Letters_from_the_Adjutant.html). How would you react if some Army Chief of Staff claimed falsely that an Army regiment fought on Iwo Jima?.

Look at the bold and then tell me what your rants about Lieutenant.

It was to illustrate the ignorance of the comment that was made. Call it what you want but I certainly take offence to my services history being marginalized by someone who has never even served. Inter-service rivalry is fine by me...as long as it is from people who have earned the right to do so.

Now, back on track to the thread since I never named my prefered service. I suppose it would have to be the Army for me. Good people, Good training, and lot's of fun.

I like the Airforce cause they drop bombs for me, and we bang their women. but I think its bullsh*t they get "substandard" pay for having to stay in our barracks.

I like the Navy cause destroyers pound the shoreline with 5"54's, and we bang their women. But I hate their cracker jacks with that gay little cape.

I like the Army because they have better funding, give us all their old ****, and their chow halls usually kick as$. I hate their low standards of discipline, and their Arty units usually can't shoot for $hit.

I love the Marine Corps! The corps enables me to continue killing people in the name of freedom and the USA, which is alright by me. Everything else about the Marine corps sucks as$.

For all you poolee's and I-think-I-might-joiner's... Wouldn't a gay thread like this be better suited for a poolee site? Or people who have actually EXPERIENCED the military?

Army Doc, nice on the history lesson, that's tight. In the large scheme of things none of that matters. Whether you like it or not, we are a quick response force, and we are more recognized for it and more feared around the world as a result. 48 hours we are balls deep into an enemy country... mobilize an Army, see you in a week or 2. Many regard us as more elite than the Army, which is very debatable and something I personally disagree with.

One thing is not debatable, we are more disciplined.

I agree with you on the discipline. It varies too much in the Army from unit to unit. The Army could learn a thing or two from the Corps about discipline.

The only reason the Army Arty units have sucked for you is because you haven't had a unit shoot for you with me in it yet!:m1::wink:

This is, by far, one of the most ridiculous discussions ever. Even .45 v. 9mm debates have more merit.

I don't care what branch you were in or what you did. Female Navy clerk? You served. US Army Delta Force? You served. Marine Corps band? You served. Air Force tower controller? You served. Coast Guard deck swabber? You served.

I have no preference of service branch. I was US Army Infantry, and I am proud of my service. I am equally as proud of my father, a Marine. Or my mom, who was Navy. Or my son in the Air Force. Or my daughter in the National Guard.

Selfless service does not begin or end with how many rounds you throw down range, which side of the proverbial wire you are on, how often you deploy or have FTX, or the traditions associated with your branch.

We all serve the UNITED States of America (or your respective country).

:cheers: to all who choose to wear the uniform.

@Brink

Arty retired or active? 105's, 155's? 198's, 777's?

What I meant is the training company at your schools in Ft Sill cant shoot for ****, that was a bad generalization on my part.

Arty Active, currently serving as a Fire Direction Officer for a M109A6 Paladin Platoon in the 1st Infantry Division. (they're 155s) When I was enlisted I was a Gun Bunny that worked primarily on the Paladin, but also spent some time on the M119 (105s).

Last edited:
Since I am a retired Army Surgeon, I obviously prefer the Army.

For the person who said "Marine Corps, It's got more tradition and more history. Plus, they kick way more ass than the Army", I have these words, some of which have been posted on other internet forums.

The Marine Corps is more wedded to it's tradition as a Corps takes it tradition to Division, Regiment and even BN level . That's why every Marine is a Marine and apparently the only real Division in the army is called the Division and stationed at FT Bragg.

The US Army is 5 months older than the Marine Corps. Before the Continental Marines ever came into existence, Continental Army troops fought the Battles of Lexington and Concord, had established the siege of Boston, had captured Fort Ticonderoga and its contained military stores, and had invaded Canada.
Good for you you can Time line Kudo's. The Militia fighting at Lexington and Concord were not "Army" they were not even recognized militia at the time but suit yer self. Apparently according to lineage the US Army existed in the 1500's in FL and the 1600's in Mass if we are to believe the false lineage bestowed.
The Continental Marine Corps went out of existence in 1783. The US Marine Corps came into existence in 1798. There is a 15 year period in this country's history in which no Marine Corps ever existed to kick anyone's ass. The Army never went out of existence.

Again Good for you you can read! In 15 years when the Army existed as a constabulary force they kicked no ones ass and when the Quasi-War started the US realized they needed an expeditionary force and revised the law and reinstated a Navy and Marine Corps

I recently watched the opening of "Battle History of the US Marines" on History International, something authored by a Marine Lieutenant Colonel. It was stated that a Battalion of Continental Marines crossed the Delaware with George Washington and fought in the Battle of Trenton.

The Marine Bn was assigned to General Caldwalers Division that didn't make the primary crossing due to weather and river conditions, lot of Army troops that claim that lineage in the same boat. Glass houses and all that .

Trenton was, in my opinion, the most significant victory in this country's history. The Continental Marines DID NOT fight at Trenton. That Marine Battalion was assigned to Cadwalader's Brigade of Philadelphia Militia. Cadwalader's Brigade was supposed to dross the Delaware, take up positions south of Assunpink Creek, and block the Hessian retreat. Because of conditions on the Delaware, Cadwalader's Brigade never got across the Delaware.

See above.

Did you really expect History Channel to get it right?
This is for Robert Coram who has written a recent biography of General Victor Krulak. In that book Mr. Coram makes a statement about the Army jumping on Marine Corps lily pads and claiming them for the Army.

WTF Does this mean?

The Marine Corps Hymn opens with the words, "From the Halls of Montezuma". This refers to Winfield Scott's capture of Mexico City in the Mexican War. Many Marines, Marine admirers claim the Marines spearheaded that campaign.
Uhh every Marine knows they were attached to the Army. Stop with your self serving butt hurt.
infield Scott developed the plan for landing troops in Mexico, capturing Vera Cruz, and then marching on Mexico City. A force of 12,000 soldiers landed on March 9, 1847, the first large scale amphibious operation in US Military History, and established the siege of Vera Cruz. Vera Cruz capitulated on March 29, 1847. Winfield Scott then marched into Mexico with approximately 9,000 Soldiers. On April 18, 1847, Scott's Soldiers routed a fortified, numerically superior Mexican force at the Battle of Cerro Gordo. Scott then proceeded to Puebla.
A sense of history I'm proud of you

At Puebla, Scott had to release thousands of troops, volunteers whose enlistments had expired. Scott waited at Puebla for reinforcements. Reinforcements included one Battaliopn of Marines numbering fewer than 400 officers and men. The Marine Battalion was assigned to Quitman's 4th Division.

Durrrrrrr, again you can read. Bully for you!

Scott advanced on Mexico City with a force of between 12,000 and 13,000 men. Scott's Soldiers fought three battles before Mexico City, Contreras on August 19-20 1847, Churubusco on April 20, 1847 and El Molino del Rey on September 6, 1847, a particularly bitter battle in which Scott's soldiers defeated a numerically superior Mexican force. While Soldiers fought these battles, Quitman's Division, including the Marines, guarded Supply wagons.
What was your prior screen name we've had this conversation before.
Scott brought Quitman's Division forward for the assault on Chapultepec. Pillows Division, supported by units of Worth's Division, was to make the main assault. Quitman's Division was to make a supporting attack. In the assault on Chapultepec, Quitman's Division, including the Marines, was stopped short of the fortress. The Marine Battalion remained stopped outside of Chapultepec for the duration of the assault. Soldiers from Quitman's Division, from Pillow's Division and from Worth's Division were the infantry that scaled the walls, fought the garrison, and took the fortress.

After the fall of Chapultepec, Quitman pushed his Division, including the Marines down the Belen causeway and captured the Belen gate. Worth's Division captured the San Cosme gate. One company of Marines accompanied Worth.

After those gates fell, Worth and Quitman advanced into the city. Quitman's Division took the formal surrender of the city(which had been negotiated by Army Lieutenant P.G.T. Beauregard). Army General Worth took down the Mexican flag at the National Palace. A Marine then hoisted the American Flag.

Trenton and "The Halls of Montezuma" are examples of the Marine Corps embellishing its history by jumping on Army lily pads and claiming them for its own. I call it particularly obnoxious that Marines will claim that the Marine Corps spearheaded the campaign for Mexico City. Regardless of any opinion on the Mexican War, that was one of the most remarkable campaigns in military history, and it was an Army show, from start to finish. Marine Corps participation was incidental and insignificant to the outcome.

Now for some fighting words. Marines have called the Marine Corps legendary. Claiming credit for fighting in battles in which a service played little to no role is not the stuff of legend. I would call it more like the stuff of stolen valor.

The Marine Corps is legendary get used to it and get over your butt hurt dippy. Just like the 82ND, 101ST 1ST ID and 1ST AD are legendary.

Okay. I'm bored lets pick this apart and get rid of the rhetoric their Doggie Doc.

But seriously I'm sorry that Jarhead boffed your girl friend.

Last edited:
marines cause they don't wear that stupid goofy looking thing on US solider's heads. Oh Plus they can roll their sleeves up and thats a bonus

I'd say Marine Corps because my best friend(enlisted), cousin(DEP), and I (DEP) are all in it. The Marine Corps to me seems much more like a brotherhood than any of the other branches. There seems to be more respect between members.

I was once told this by my Great-Great-Uncle who was a Marine in WWII.

The leader of the Army would never be called a Solider, the leader of the Navy would never be called a Seaman, the leader of the Air Force would never be called an Airman, but the leader of the Corps....is proud to be called a Marine.

That always stuck with me and while I don't know fully if its true yet, I hope to some day very soon

If you have a strong Army tradition in your family and community by all means go into the Army. It will cut down the strife around the thanksgiving turkey in years to come.
BTW, not to stir the pot, but about the only fact Brinktk got right was the Indian War. Marines were involved in every one of the other wars/conflicts he mentioned, and--just to balance the Indian thing--the Army didn't fight in the campaigns against the Tripolitanian pirates or in the Boxer rebellion. Just thought I'd mention it.
Fact is the American military--all of the military--is the finest, most capable fighting force in the world. That's why the US is the only remaining super power.

Dang, if this is the kind of aggro that gets caused over comparing histories, I'd hate to see what would happen when someone posts a "So who REALLY won WW1" thread... :D

Dang, if this is the kind of aggro that gets caused over comparing histories, I'd hate to see what would happen when someone posts a "So who REALLY won WW1" thread... :D

The French and the Brit's. Even if the US hadn't entered the war the Germans would have been bled white by 1919.;-)

True, but only at the cost of alot more dead Brits and Frenchmen. As it was commanders were ordering attacks and sustaining casualties right up to noon on Nov 18. How would you feel getting word that your son, father, brother was killed at 11:59 am on Nov. 18th. I wouldn't just be sad, I'd be Pissed Off at the commanders upping the body count at the expense of my loved one.

Fact is the American military--all of the military--is the finest, most capable fighting force in the world. That's why the US is the only remaining super power.

And the rest of the world's military forces are just a bunch of amateurs?

I've pretty much worked with most NATO countries' troops and the majority are fully equal to the U.S.

Some I would argue is better. I've been in combat operations with both U.S. Army and USMC and I have also learned a lot from them. But after my appraisal the most professional I have operational knowledge of, is the British Pararchute Regiment and Royal Marines. This is not meant to denigrate the U.S. military, but I can tell you from first hand knowledge that there was some Americans who received a second opinion by experiencing other countries' capacity and quality.

Back to the topic

Army. Because its mision appealed the most to me. ( and because we don´t have a marine Corps ;-) )

Last edited:
Back