Boxing: Denis Lebedev KOs Roy Jones Jr.

Prapor

Lebedev destroys Jones in 10th round KO

PostDateIcon.png
May 21st, 2011
By Dan Ambrose: 42-year-old Roy Jones Jr. (54-8, 40 KO’s) was once again knocked out, this time by number #1 ranked World Boxing Organization (WBO) cruiserweight contender Denis Lebedev (22-1, 17 KO’s) in the 10th round on Saturday night at the Sport Complex Krylatskoe in Moscow, Russia.

Jones, who came into the fight having lost his last two fights, was battered in the final seconds of the 10th round before getting knocked down with a huge shot to the head that put Jones down flat on the canvas face first. It was one of those scary knockouts that leaves you wondering if the fighter is going to be okay. But for Jones, this is yet another brutal knockout loss for him. He was knocked unconscious by Antonio Tarver and Glen Johnson in the past. And in 2010, he was stopped in the 1st round by Danny Green. To Jones’ credit, he fought fairly well against Lebedev, using movement and single shots to show glimpses of his former greatness. However, as the fight wore on, Lebedev was able to catch Jones repeatedly with hard body shots and huge left hands to the head that had Jones covering up. Like in a lot of his fights, Jones retreated to the ropes and covered up for long stretches. It made things much easier for Lebedev to tee off on him with shots.
Jones got the most he could out of his aging body tonight but he was asking too much of himself to take on what could be the best fighter in the cruiserweight division in Lebedev. Jones made the mistake of fighting too long on the ropes and absorbing too many shots that his chin eventually couldn’t handle.
After the fight, Lebedev said he’d like to fight Danny Green next. That would be an interesting fight if Green will accept it because both fighters are big punchers. Lebedev would have the edge because of his youth and southpaw stance.
In other action on the card, former lightweight world champion Nate Campbell (34-8-1, 25 KO’s) defeated Sherzod Nazarov (12-5, 10 KOs) by an eight round decision.
Unbeaten Ukrainian light heavyweight contende Isayl Sillakh (16-0, 13 KOs) destroyed Hamza Wandera (12-3-2, 11 KOs) in a 3rd round TKO.
http://www.boxingnews24.com/2011/05/lebedev-destroys-jones-in-10th-round-ko/

Lebedev is a relative up-and-comer, but I am a fan of his. He is our man, Airborne, to the bone, as you Westerners say. Last Paratroopers' Day, he was at Gorky Park with the rest of us, wore his telnyashka and, of course, his Blue Beret, along with the WBO Intercontinental Championship belt he won in '09 and keeps to this day
lebedev%202.jpg

They put together a ring, in the VDV Veterans association main building, and Denis fought volunteers. Nobody could beat him, of course :D

He will go far, I'm sure.

Last edited:
He looks like a big contender to me. Generally speaking, are Cossacks into boxing? Are you?

We are into fist fighting :) Ancient Russian version of boxing, if you wish
1234816965_5.jpg

Rules are slightly different. Grabs and holds are allowed, for example.

We take Gold in this discipline every year, in the Village Games. Kind of sad, us being only half-ethnic Russian, yet dominating full Russians in one of the favorite sports of their ancestors.

You know, in old Russia, under the Tsars, fist fighting was the poor man's dueling. Duels were fought by wealthy noblemen
56805df7fd0e.jpg

while regular commoners, peasants resolved their disputes with their fists (and pretty much anything else they could find, it was a very brutal combat art back then, almost no rules. People died very often in fist fights. By 16th century, the Tsars struggled even to ban it.)
%25D0%25B2%25D0%25B0%25D1%2581%25D0%25BD%25D0%25B5%25D1%2586%25D0%25BE%25D0%25B2.jpg

Often, fist fights were 'wall-on-wall', meaning tens or even hundreds of fighters moved at one another. Today, "friendly" wall-on-wall fights are staged every Maslenitsa in many Russian cities, we Cossacks love them too, our youth at school do that every morning, as warm up
71673668_12.jpg

2460.jpg

Our fist fights get particularly wild
Khortytsya_Cossacks_Festyval_Lava.jpg

And we respect old traditions: no gloves. Everyone else thinks we are crazy for that. We're not crazy, we're Cossacks.
:)

Last edited:
Prapor - once again you answer impressively with interesting back-up, great pics.
All new stuff to me, except for duals and boxing, of course.

We had the bare-knuckle traditions of pugilism, and still do, illegally, but not in massed ranks!

I took a look at your boy; he has a good physique for a cruiserweight, strong and aggressive with a powerful left-hand, a sound chin and takes a good punch without much fuss and returns the compliment without hesitation. I will watch out for him, because I was only able to catch a few minutes of the news fight report. I would like a few more minutes to judge his speed of hand and foot and his movement around the ring. At first glance he seemed to me to be a bit of a chip off the ol' Rocky Marciano block.

Last edited:
Back