Bows - Page 4

--

November 12th, 2005  
Insomniac

hey just because a gun onli has effective range of 300 metres, a bow and arrow, theoretically, should be able to kill at at least 320 metres becase a bullet is blunt, therefore increasing the power needed to penetrate skin. an arrow, however, being sharp can cut into something much easier than a blunt object. think brick bolster against woodworking chisle. not much force needed to cut paper with the chisel, but need to hit the bolster fairly hard to cut the paper. i speak from experience, as i have seen the effectof a sharp chisel on human flesh. it cut my dads little fingernail right off.
November 12th, 2005  
MightyMacbeth

u having fun here mate? 8)
November 12th, 2005  
LeEnfield

A bullet at its extreme range will run out of power eventually and will no power to penetrate
--
November 12th, 2005  
LeEnfield

A bullet at its extreme range will run out of power eventually and will no power to penetrate, The same thing will apply to an arrow unless it has been fired high and its weight will make the wound
November 12th, 2005  
MightyMacbeth

and the arrow will loose energy gradually 8)
November 13th, 2005  
Insomniac

ye but say you fired a blunt arrow and a sharp arrow, using exactly the same draw power, and fired them into two identical steel cans from 300 metres away, on a straight line, an the blunt arrow may penetrate one layer of the can, but not the other. a sharp arrow would probably penetrate both layers, and go even further. they did it onece, at about 300 metres into replica medieval armor, and it punctured straight through. it would have gone further, but for the flights. they wer testing the range of a trebuchet, and that was its usable limit. any further and the stone would have fallen short, or not done the damage wanted.
November 13th, 2005  
MightyMacbeth

oh..but why would u want to use a blunt arrow?
November 13th, 2005  
Insomniac

point taken.
but wen u think about it, its just a comparison.
the blunt arrow being the bullet, the sharp arrow being, well, the sharp arrow. get my drift
by the way wen i fire arrows i always fire by pulling back the string and arrow, not pushing the bow out. just wanted to say that...

November 13th, 2005  
MightyMacbeth

lol, yeah offcourse u pull it, no i thought we threw it LOL
March 2nd, 2006  
Insomniac

you require greater pressure on a larger area to penetrate, and guns provide that pressure. but get a bullet and a decent sharp arrow, press your finger against both and press your finger against each, using the same amount of pressure and see which one draws blood quickest.