Boots for march training

Since the thread is still going on, let me ask you guys another question:
- What's your point of view on Gore Tex?
When reading about it, people seem to be pretty satisfied with it as long as they have dry feet. But if they eventually get wet, they seem to hate Gore Tex because it takes forever to get the boots dry again.
Since my dream is Jægerkorpset, I must expect to get wet feet.
Should I avoid Gore Tex? I'm pretty convinced I have to, unless you guys have other experiences.
Well, you are sort of right. Let’s break the question down a bit. While it’s true that water that comes over the tops of Gore-Tex boots has no where to go, and will remain sloshing around with your wet sock and soon-to-be-wrinkled toes until you pour it off, the same can be said of most any boot, Gore-Tex or not.

So, if you’re asking if this inability to shed water is a flaw of a Gore-Tex boot design, the answer is no. Gore-Tex boots will keep your feet dry, even if you stand in water all day long–as long as water doesn’t pour in over the top. To prevent that from happening you can do two things: 1) wear good, waterproof gaiters, and 2) approach any stream crossing with a good plan for staying dry.

As for gaiters, look for anything made of a waterproof/breathable material, with taped seams and a good, tight seal around your boot. When buying, it’s best to wear your boots to the store and try on a couple pairs of gaiters to check around the lower perimeter of the gaiter for any gaps that could let water in. Also look for an instep strap that will let you keep the gaiter nice and low around the boot’s upper.

And as for stream crossing, it’s a matter of just doing the best you can. If you know you’re feet will get wet (i.e. deep water), just accept it and either change into sandals, sneakers or canvas shoes for the crossing or be ready to put on dry socks on the other side. But often it’s just a matter of finding the right chain of dry rocks to hop on, and taking it slow and steady, rather than just plowing across like a Labrador retriever.

HBU (basic training) at Den Kgl. Livgarde, Høvelte. Starting 28 of July 2012 (ca., can't remember the exact time and date).

Another option if dealing with deep water would be J boots. The holes on the bottom let water in and out and guys love them.

Back