Boots in the Army

Poggus

Hi, I was curious what type of boots are worn in the army, particularly during Infantry training. I almost signed today as an 11x, but my recruiter who was in Special Forces thinks I should 18x a try, since if I didn't make it I'd be 11x anyway. I'm in good shape, and after viewing all the older threads, I believe I could handle the PT except the forced marches. I was thinking of getting some boots and a ruck and practicing some in the next two months. I don't want to hurt myself, of course. Any suggestions on boots or rucksacks? Thanks :D

Also, any suggestions on my contract would be appreciated...

Also, sorry for not introducing myself... I'm Logan and I've lurked on your forum for awhile.

Do not bother enlisting with an 18X contract. All you will be doing is taking a slot away from someone who really wants it, is willing to work for it, and does not have a plan for "when it doesn't work out." You do not want to be known as a quitter, and unless you're willing to sacrifice everything, that is what you will be if you enlist under 18X. Stick with 11X, that seems to be what you want - do not let what the recruiter wants influence your decisions, all that can do is hurt you later down the road in your career.

The Irish DF wear Mathherhorns altohugh thats changing and you can purchase your own brand if you want with Mendils being most popular.

RnderSafe - Appreciate the input. I've always considered goin 18x, but as you said I think I want 11x more. I was curious though how difficult it is to request an 18x tryout or RIP tryout once you're already 11x? I'd always like to keep my options open and perhaps attempt it later down the road when I want it more. I'll be entering as an E-3.. would I have to wait until I was an E-4, and even then what are my chances of actually being given a chance?

Poggus said:
RnderSafe - Appreciate the input. I've always considered goin 18x, but as you said I think I want 11x more. I was curious though how difficult it is to request an 18x tryout or RIP tryout once you're already 11x? I'd always like to keep my options open and perhaps attempt it later down the road when I want it more. I'll be entering as an E-3.. would I have to wait until I was an E-4, and even then what are my chances of actually being given a chance?

My advice to you would be to look into an 11X with Opt. 20 (guaranteed slot at Airborne school) contract. This will set you up for, most likely, the 82d Abn. If you are an outstanding soldier, keep your nose clean and free of trouble and want it badly enough - putting in an SFAS packet once you're an E-4(P) and getting accepted is highly likely. As for RIP, it is a little more difficult, but not impossible.

An 11X with Opt. 40 will guarantee you Airborne school as well as a chance to pass RIP. Like the 18X contract, unless all you can taste is the idea of becoming a Ranger and serving in Ranger Battalion and you are willing to put forth 200% effort, it would be a bad idea to take this contract.

Serving some time as an 11B in a conventional infantry unit is not going to hurt you, but signing a contract with requirements you aren't ready for can and will. Sit down, look over the different options and think about what it is that you want most of all. See what fits you, your ideals, and drive - then see what you're actually capable of doing at this time.

here is what the Army is issuing all the new recruits now adays.

http://www.military-quotes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5318

as for training boots, I would go with a pair of jungle boots. Make sure you do not get the commercial ones. They may only be $20, but they are made like crap. Good jungles range from $70-100. After you get done basic and AIT, you can put those boots to good use in the field. As far as a ruck goes, use a decent backpack if you got one. Load it with 40-50lbs and get use to the weight.

If you have any other training questions about infantry stuff just ask. I am a forward observer. With the new "Unit of Action" the Army has, I am now attached with the INF.

SGT Doody

Thanks for the info Doody.

I have another question, but I didn't want to start a whole new thread for it. My question is simply, what's the ideal height/weight of an infantry soldier. I am 6 foot, and weigh approx. 165 pounds. I'm in shape so I'm not worried about PT, but someone more bulky than I may have more strength. I was just curious what the successful combat soldier's ideal weight is, and if I should even be concerned.

there is no idea height or weight. The infantry judge people more by their performance than by height/weight. The only thing that the Infantry, as well as the army, looks at height weight wise is body fat percentage. If you fail height weight, you get taped to see how much body fat you got. If you are 6 foot and weigh 165, you have nothing to worry about.

Back to the performance issue. The infantry does all kinds of PT, and we do it every day. Some of the non combat units do their PT MON, WED, FRI. It may be nice to do that, but most those units are not as physically fit was the combat arms units. Things that you will be judged on are your PT test score, if you can hang on a 8 mile run, how well you shoot a weapon, if you can make a 12+ mile road march without falling out, how well you do in the field...I think you get my point.

Back