Bootcamp

njrotc chic

I am 17 and I am leaving for bootcamp July 18th. I will then be going on to IT "A" School. If anyone could tell me anything that would help me out in either I would appreciate it.

Do you mean AIT? That's Advanced Infantry Training or Advanced Individual Training. Depends on what your MOS is, it could be an electronics school or advanced training in Jump School, Armor, Weapons, EOD, much more.

njrotc chic said:
I am 17 and I am leaving for bootcamp July 18th. I will then be going on to IT "A" School. If anyone could tell me anything that would help me out in either I would appreciate it.

I can give you some standard advice that applies to all services intial entry training, any specifics your A school you'll have to wait for a squid to come along.

As far as bootcamp goes, you're going to get yelled at, be ready for it. Don't cry or get mad when they do it, just take it and move on.

Pay attention to detail. If they tell you they want you to fold your "skivves" in the shape of an airplane, do it. Don't fold them any other way but the way they tell you. They may tell you to do things that don't make sense to you. That's okay, it doesn't have to. They're teaching you to follow orders and details. It's all simple. Just listen and repeat. Sort of like toddlers.

Help others. If you see someone doing something wrong, help them. If you see someone losing motivation, help re-motivate them. Become a leader by being a team player.

Try not to bring too much attention to yourself, especially negative attention. They more attention you bring on yourself, the easier it is for them to learn your name. The more they know your name, the more they're going to be volunteering you.

Make sure you're physically ready. Stretch every morning and before you exercise, stretch again before you go to bed. Do this now and do it when you're in bootcamp. Don't wait for your stretch sessions before PT, they never give you enough time to loosen up so make sure you do it prior. You can do calve stretches while you're brushing your teeth for example. Be creative. The last thing you want is an injury to set you back. If you do get hurt, tell someone, don't run the risk of making it worse.

Though it's usually not a problem for recruits, make sure you're eating your meals.

Most of all, stay positive. When things get bad (and they will) just remember your end goal. Don't mentally quit. Keep yourself motivated and keep those around you motivated.

Good luck!

Missileer said:
Do you mean AIT? That's Advanced Infantry Training or Advanced Individual Training. Depends on what your MOS is, it could be an electronics school or advanced training in Jump School, Armor, Weapons, EOD, much more.

Missileer, no, she's going into the Navy. They don't have AIT or MOSes. Their job training is called "A" school and they use "Rates" or "Ratings". "IT" rating in the Navy is Information Systems Technician.

Last edited:
PJ24 said:
Missileer, no, she's going into the Navy. They don't have AIT or MOSes. Their job training is called "A" school and they use "Rates" or "Ratings". "IT" rating in the Navy is Information Systems Technician.

That's why it sounded like Greek to me. Yeah, PJ's right, we've got some Navy people here, that's one of the good things about this forum, there are lot who have been there, done that or are doing it now.

Just remember to keep reminding yourself that after Basic, life changes. No more yelling and double timing everywhere you go. At least, not as much. Good luck.

What they said...

I sent you a PM with some info and a contact email.

Missileer

AIT is mostly non-Navy. A school is what you might call a primary MOS type school. All military services have many MOS's or NEC (Navy Enlisted Codes). "A" School is just the starting point for the Navy's NEC's.

As I have passed basic training for the army , it will definitely be tougher than shit , ( benning all the way ! ) the drill's will chew one you , and spit you right back out , the cheweing part is to break you down . And the building up part , or the sptting out , is when you become and elisted man or woman . just follow orders , and go on about your business ....
As I have passed basic training for the army ,

Back