Bootcamp

It'll be a bit of both! ;)

I remember sitting on the train en route to my first day of training. I felt physically sick and nervous as hell. Once I'd got there and was introduced to everyone etc, it didn't feel quite so bad. It's only natural to feel nervous. After a couple of days, you'll wonder what all the fuss was about. ;)

I wish you the best of luck (even though it's USMC :p ;))

and remember, the instructors shouting and balling at you is designed to get you and your fellow recruits working together as a team. ;)

And never step out of line (or call your Sgt Sir :lol:) ;)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YpOvZIEw9s&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]Bad Lads Army: Private Miller and Provost Sergeant Weston - YouTube[/ame]

My only advice is do as your told and put in 100% effort in all tasks set for you. The rest should sort itself out.

All our assessments were done at the old Station Commanders house at the now defunct RAF Tangmere. Every room was kitted out differently to perform a number of different scenarios. There was a barrack room, married quarters living room and bedroom, NAAFI bar, police station and a guard room. We were tested on all aspects of our training, outside in the grounds we dealt with close arrests for fighting, drunkenness etc, and dealt with RTCs. All the rooms in the house were miked and camera monitored by the trainers in the control room in the attic. The assessments were made as realistic as possible.

All our assessments were done at the old Station Commanders house at the now defunct RAF Tangmere. Every room was kitted out differently to perform a number of different scenarios. There was a barrack room, married quarters living room and bedroom, NAAFI bar, police station and a guard room. We were tested on all aspects of our training, outside in the grounds we dealt with close arrests for fighting, drunkenness etc, and dealt with RTCs. All the rooms in the house were miked and camera monitored by the trainers in the control room in the attic. The assessments were made as realistic as possible.

I use to visit Tangmere when it was operational, everything I knew is gone or going. Even my old operational station RAF Wattisham has been taken over by the pongo's.

Boot only seems daunting because you have never done anything like it before. In actuality, compared to doing operations in a regular unit...boot is quite easy. There is no thinking involved in boot, you just do exactly what you are told...outside of boot, you will be required to use your noggin on top of operate for 24, 36, 48, or more hours without sleep. Don't make it into somthing it is not, you will only make it harder on yourself. The main thing to remember is to never be "that guy". You know, the one that's always last to get up, the first to fall out, the first to fall asleep, the first one the DI finds crap wrong wth...etc. Remain anonymous and do your job. Drawing attention to yourself is bad in almost all cases. Remember that.

Boot only seems daunting because you have never done anything like it before. In actuality, compared to doing operations in a regular unit...boot is quite easy. There is no thinking involved in boot, you just do exactly what you are told...outside of boot, you will be required to use your noggin on top of operate for 24, 36, 48, or more hours without sleep. Don't make it into somthing it is not, you will only make it harder on yourself. The main thing to remember is to never be "that guy". You know, the one that's always last to get up, the first to fall out, the first to fall asleep, the first one the DI finds crap wrong wth...etc. Remain anonymous and do your job. Drawing attention to yourself is bad in almost all cases. Remember that.

That reminds me of the advice my father gave me, when it comes to the mundane tasks never be the first or last at anything or you will regret it.

Back