Bootcamp bloopers!

SHERMAN

After reading the thread about the recruit and the cigarette I remembered a few shall we say, errors by young soldiers...

1)Morning formation...list of emberessing dress errors-
-One of my soldiers buttoned the colar of his uniform shirt to the opposite pocket. He was looking very uncomftable and couldent figure out whats wrong:)
-Another classic is the guy who wore his dress pants and his combat shrit for morning formation:) Took me a second to realize what he is doing wrong:)
2)wrong attention...
In the IDF bootcamp it is demanded that at every formation one of the recruits gives a loud stand-to and recognizes the staff member- I was a First Sgt and that confused the recruites because all other squad leaders were Sgts...I was also regarded very highly by the recruits...So this is what happened if a really "shell-shocked" recruit was giving the attention-
Recruit:"Recieving the Platoon Sgnt the platoon will stand to atte..."
Me: "No, no, no! Do I look like the PLt. Sgnt?! Do I?!"
Recruit(panicking):"Recieving the Platoon commander th..."
Me: "Oh come on. I thank for the fast promotion. Do I have bars on my shoulders?! Come on do it right for once!"
Recruit: "Recieving the Plat.."
Me: "No, THE SQUAD LEADER. Squad leader! quit promoting me Im doing fine on my own. Guess what?"
Recruit: "Drop to push ups, Sir?"
:)
3)Section training:
For some reason young soldiers have a hard time getting it-
Me: "Contact, front, 100 meters"
recruit/section leader: "contact front, charge!"
Me: "Are you going to charge 100 meters under enemy fire?"
recruit:"No Sir?"
Me:"No, your injured- you two- pick him up and carry him back"
They got it finnaly:)

Oh man... my bootcamp bloopers. Couldn't really understand Korean. Made a lot of bloopers.
1) Korean people with shaved heads all looked the same to me. After being pulled away from formation for about a minute, I couldn't tell which my platoon was so I just stood in formation (apparently with the wrong platoon).
2) Was trying to familiarize myself with Korean text by attempting to read some manual... unfortunately did it while I was on duty at the barracks front desk. Some high ranking people walked in, and I had no idea. Drill Instructor was on my ass immediately and told me quietly (because of the high ranking folks), "Hey, pay attention. You got to salute." So I saluted the Drill Instructor. "Not me you idiot!" Woops.
3) Opened a door that led to the rooftop but a broom stick was placed awkwardly so when I opened the door it fell right down the stairwell. Landed barely a meter away from a D.I. "WHO THE F*CK DID THAT?!?!" I ran down and said it was me. Showed him the source of the problem (there was a whole rack of broomsticks ready to fall had I opened the door wider). Didn't get my ass kicked in this instance.

When you go to boot camp, it pays to understand the language first.

Back