Boot or not

istealfreefood

I am a junior in high school and will be joining the Marine Corps. I am applying to the Naval Academy as well as NROTC Marine option. I am thinking about going to Boot Camp the summer before college if I do ROTC. I would then be in the Reserves while doing ROTC. Does anybody have advice on whether I should do this or not. I would appreciate it.

haha Yes, actually, Im in the same situation. I went to bootcamp the day after i graduated high school, ive been in the Marines for a while now, and I am a reservist with 4th Recon Battalion. Im also a student at the University of New Mexico. Haha its not easy doing both. I keep starting semesters, and than Im sent off to various schools for training. If im not being sent to schools, im being sent to Iraq.. don't get me wrong, I love being enlisted. I would suggest joining the Marines, going active duty, and applying for the Marine Enlisted Commissioning Education Program (MECEP). Your job as an active duty Marine will be to go to school, for 4 years... Youll get payed active duty wages, and school will be payed for. I wish i would have done this. Another option is to go enlsited, go to bootcamp this summer, become a reservist, and apply for the Platoon Leaders Course (PLC). This is a program for reservists and civilians, where if your reserve, youll get payed a Sergeants wages active duty (E-5), and theyll pay for school. This is also an outstanding route. What job are you signing up for, because this is important?

I want to go infantry. If I go to college while reserve, I need to enlist in the state I will be attending college, so I will have to wait until next year to do that.

thanks for the info.

Yeah that is also important to consider. Infantry is good to go, and in most cases, most units will accept basic 0311's to serve with them. In other words, talk to the unit thats in the same locale as the school you want to go to. Ask them if they will allow you to be an Infantry 0311 even though their unit may not be. I, for example, am an 0311 in a unit made for 0321s. Don't let the type of unit fool you. Get in touch with that unit and find out as much as possible before you make your decision.

Back