The Bonus Expeditionary Force

Jeff Simmons

I've been doing some interesting research on the so-called "Bonus Expeditionary Force," a mass of WWI veterans (often accompanied by their families) who marched on Washington, D.C. early in the Great Depression to demand payment of a "bonus" that was promised by the federal government to compensate veterans for wages they missed while serving overseas. Some 45,000 men, women and children built a massive shanty town on the Anacostia flats, within sight of the capitol, and refused to leave until they got their money.

There were, obviously, problems. First, when the "bonus" law was passed after WWI, it promised payment in 1945, but the "BEF" pleaded that they needed the money immediately to survive (it averaged about $700 per soldier). Second, President Hoover adamantly opposed early payment.

The House of Representatives took up the issue, and passed a measure to pay the bonus at that time. The Senate, on the other hand, refused to pass the law. Then, claiming the mass of men and their families were communists, Hoover ordered that the marchers be driven out of Anacostia. Carrying out his orders were Gen. Douglas MacArthur and his two subordinates, Gen. Dwight Eisenhower and Gen. George Patton. They amassed the largest formation of troops in the nation's capital since the Civil War. Patton led a cavalry charge through the encampment first. It was followed with an attack using tanks, infantry and poison gas. Then the military burned the entire encampment to the ground. In the process, many men, women and children were wounded. Several infants died from being gassed.

As horrible as this may seem, most Americans know nothing about the bonus march. I've told this story to a lot of people, but none have ever heard it before. I am currently working on more detailed research and jotting down ideas. I think it would be good material for a novel.

Please share any knowledge or comments you may have on this subject.

A novel

I have started writing a novel on this subject. I'm sure it will be a long project. It took me 18 years of research, writing and editing to complete my first novel, "Wipers: A Soldier's Tale From the Great War," which centers around the Battle of Messines (is also covers Neuve Chapelle and Second Ypres). "Wipers," published last fall is available as a paperback or Kindle edition on Amazon.com.

"Poison Gas?" What type?

These folks were also known as Cox's Army.

The encampment that was destroyed was inhabited by folks who claimed they had no other place to go after others went home.

What many have forgotten is how bad the depression of the time really was.

MacArthur far exceded his orders when he crossed into and destroyed the camp.
He was never really taken to task for it,and neither was Ike, who had a lifelong disdain for "little people."
Enlisted men and those who served in the postwar army have little good to say about him.

gas attack against Bonus Army

I am not certain what specific gas was used to drive the veterans and their families out of the Anacostia Flats "settlement," but from what I've read, it seems to have been like a highly-powerful tear gas. It was strong enough to kill several infants in the camp.

I do not know exactly how many men, women and children were in the encampment at the time of the attack, but the numbers were significant enough for Herbert Hoover to order military action by the largest assembly of federal troops in Washington since the Civil War.

As far as MacArthur's actions...He never was really good at following orders. He generally did what he felt like doing, a trait that would follow him through his entire career.

Back