Bonds passes Babe with home run No. 715

Breaking the rules is breaking the rules... and it is about race because when McGuire was smashing em out of the park the press had a field day and now with Bonds its barely a ripple.

bulldogg said:
Breaking the rules is breaking the rules... and it is about race because when McGuire was smashing em out of the park the press had a field day and now with Bonds its barely a ripple.

Was that before or after McGuire was implicated in the whole steroid mess and paraded before congress?

Exactly. If McGuire were pursuing the record after the steroids scandal (Canseco's book and the hearings), I think he'd receive cool treatment from media and fans. It wouldn't be as cold as the way Bonds is treated by some, but that has less to do with race and more to do with the fact that McGuire acts like a decent human being.

bulldogg said:
Bonds is a cheating bastard but they won't touch him like they did Rose because he's black and no one wants the racially associated bs fallout that would ensue from the ignorant masses. Fact is this is being swept aside because the Babe was a product of his times and pretty racist and Bonds is black.
This may be true but I think one of the main things Bonds has working against him is that he's not a very likeable person. His public comments have never endeared him to the public like many players in the past.

In an excerpt from former Chicago White Sox player Ron Kittle’s book, Ron Kittle's Tales from the White Sox Dugout, that appeared in yesterday’s Southtown News newspaper from suburban Chicago, Kittle quotes Bonds as saying, "I don't sign for white people."
The setting was the visitors’ clubhouse at the Chicago Cubs’ Wrigley Field, in 1993. Kittle, by then retired from the game, had asked Bonds to sign two jerseys he’d worn in games, so that Kittle could auction the jerseys for his charity helping kids with cancer, Indiana Sports Charities.
"I paid about $110 of my own money for them, so they could be auctioned off at the golf outing. I did that all the time for stars like Mark McGwire, Sammy Sosa, Derek Jeter and Roger Clemens. When I tell them how their autographs help the cause, every player gladly signs — with one exception.
“I walked up to Bonds at his locker in the Wrigley Field visitors' clubhouse, introduced myself and said, ‘Barry, if you sign these, they'll bring in a lot of money for kids who need help.
“Bonds stood up, looked me in the eye and said, ‘I don't sign for white people.’ If lightning hits me today, I will swear those were his exact words. Matt Williams and other Giants were in the room and they heard what Bonds said.
“I stood there for a minute, and the veins in my neck were popping. I've only been that mad a few times in my life. I was going to beat the (heck) out of him, really kick his (butt), but Williams saw what was happening, so he came over and got between us. Matt said, ‘Ron, that's just the way he is.’
“I said, ‘White guys aren't the only ones who get cancer,’ but Bonds had turned his back on me and walked out of the clubhouse. Somebody must have run in and alerted Dusty Baker, who was the manager of the Giants then.
“So Dusty came out of his office, put his arm around me, gave me a big old hug and said, ‘Aw, Kitty, he's just got that (bad) attitude again.’ Dusty gave me an autographed team ball for the auction, but I never got the Bonds jerseys signed. Later, I gave one of them to Scott Paulson, the Wilson sporting goods representative, and shredded the other one. But that day, I drove from Wrigley Field at about 150 miles per hour and sat there, fuming.
“I'll never forget what that man said. So if Barry Bonds is looking for a breath of fresh air to live and I'm the only one who has to give it to him, unfortunately, the man will die. I just don't like guys like that."
Source

Gotta agree with Dtop

There have other black athletes (espically in track and field) that have been implicated with Steroids, Bonds is hardly the first. I really dont see a racial connect here, I just think most people think Bonds is a jerk as well as being a cheat. Pete Rose had much more sympathy of fans qnd his crime much more serious.

Back