--
To Bomb or Not to Bomb to Kill bin Laden

June 11th, 2005  
C/2nd Lt Robot

A tazer would be funnier.
June 11th, 2005  
behemoth79

no. a hot glue gun treatment after hes been tied up. now THATS funny.

I do agree with the SF idea though. Id rather have him in custody than vaporized, for morale and to prove to the world that he is truly done for.
June 11th, 2005  
Missileer

If possible, he has to be paraded as a prisoner of Afghanistan before the world. This is important in that society.
--
June 11th, 2005  
Darcia

There are 6 billion people,so what if 5 die in order of a common goal.

^Thats what i would love to say.

However this problem is a bit complicated, it would be a break of International law by killing civilians,however they are technicly assiting the enemy.
June 11th, 2005  
ozmilman

It really depends whether or not the person giving the go-ahead has any shred of a soul. The kids in the house have no idea who bin Laden is, and i doubt the US would find out where he is a drop a bomb on him anyway - so it's a flawed hypothetical as it would never happen. Afghanistan is under US control now (isn't it?), they could just use that as a base from which to launch a covert mission to capture him.

Rich.
June 11th, 2005  
MI Blues

Topic: CIA Tip on Bin Laden

One other consideration - the source of your intelligence:

Given the revelations we've seen over the last few months.. I want 3 or 4 unrelated sources to confirm the intelligence before I trust any in-country (especially local national) CIA "source" and commit troops to harms way based on that intel.
June 11th, 2005  
MontyB

Topic: Re: To Bomb or Not to Bomb to Kill bin Laden

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackehammond
Folks,

A CIA source in Pakistan has located where bin Laden is staying at night. The house in an isolated area of the Pakistan/Afghan Border that even the Pakistan military won't go into. He is staying in the house with a number of families who have children. The men of the families know bin Laden is sleeping at night in the house. They are allowing him to stay there willlingly.

Question: The USAF can easily put one bomb right into the house. Killing bin Laden and his guards but also a good chance of others in the house.

It is your call. What would order. To bomb or not to bomb?

Jack E. Hammond

Hmm my call huh?

Well given this scenario I would bomb, hell just to make certain I got him I would be happy to turn the entire province into a crater, essentially if you weigh up his potential to kill vs your potential to keep him subdued I think any casualties from a bomb strike on a house are acceptable given his ability to kill even larger numbers if left free.
June 11th, 2005  
ozmilman

Now that, Monty, is thinking like a terrorist. Screw everyone else and anyone who might be innocent, just make something blow up.

Democratic hypocracy at its best - he killed thousands of innocent people, it was terrible, we'll all go on Oprah and cry about it, but we won't give a rat's if a couple of innocent kids are killed, 'cause at least we got our revenge.

Rich
June 12th, 2005  
Darcia

Well to understand this you must understand that deep deep down isnide Americans have the beliefs of nazi germany in the fact we believe we are better than everyone else. However this is a feeling that is kept deep deep down inside of us.
June 12th, 2005  
MontyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmilman
Now that, Monty, is thinking like a terrorist. Screw everyone else and anyone who might be innocent, just make something blow up.

Democratic hypocracy at its best - he killed thousands of innocent people, it was terrible, we'll all go on Oprah and cry about it, but we won't give a rat's if a couple of innocent kids are killed, 'cause at least we got our revenge.

Rich
Thats not the case at all, I am saying weighing up the potential lives saved vs the potential lives lost if he repeated an attack similar to what he has already managed bombing is a viable and acceptable option.

Please remember the people he is staying with (according to the scenario) know who he is and what he has done therefore I don't think it likely they are innocent bystanders either.

Other than that whats your plan hope he gets an attack of conscience and never makes another attack or just hope he dies of natural causes before you have to explain to the families of his next victims that hey we could have got him but didn't want to hurt his friends in the process?

In general I do not believe that the ends justify the means but in this guys case I am prepared to make an exception.