Bolt Action vs. Semi Auto

Whispering Death

Granted I am a novice with guns so I was wondering something. It is a bit of common sentiment that bolt action rifels are always more accurate than semi-automatic ones. So my question is why is this? Why is it that bolt action rifels are more accurate?

A bolt action is more accurate becasue all the gases are forced down the barrel forcing out the round, the bolt acts as a sort of plug and gases can't escape through the breech, opposed to the semi-auto where the gases can escape throught the magzine and breech meet and breech door. Now semi-auto. are almost as accurate as bolt-action

Pictures:

Bolt action M1903 Springfield

M03.jpg

M14/M1A Semi-Auto rifle

M1a.jpg

while bolt action rifles do shoot straighter, its not by much. besides, they arent used a sniper rifles so it really doesnt matter. a three inch hole in someones body will do the job no matter where it is.

Semi auto will win hands down in close combat. In long range combat, well the bolt action rifle getsmy vote.

Isn't accuracy depended on a lot more functions than the action? I highly doubt that a regular bolt action rifle from 50 years ago could compete with the semi-auto PSG-1 or the M-25 in accuracy. Plus there are custom manufacturers of semi-auto precision rifles that are on par with any bolt action rifle out there. An example of such is Blake's Custom Rifles outside of Las Vegas and the more famous Les Baer. Of course, a poorly made semi-auto weapon can damage ammo while cycling not enough to be disasterous but enough to effect accuracy. But the majority of accuracy issues are solved by having higher standards for production.

Of course you are correct Vitaly.

I was just wondering how it is that the most accurate modern rifels still seem to rely on some of the older rifel bolt action.

So now I would like to further the discussion, do you think that the modern latest generation semi-automatic rifels can be as accurate as the bolt action ones? (I don't want to say "sniper rifels" because that is such an ameature term, but when I refer to rifels that is what I am speaking about, not assault rifels)

Do you mean the fact that the military rifles use the Rem. 700 action? It is a wide spread and easy to use action. Also it has a lot of adaptability with multiple stocks, barrels, and other aftermarket parts. Still there are rifles such as the Blaser LRS2 with a great action that is new that only involves the shooter in pulling straight back instead of up back forward then down. Those are considered world class rifles. So are the Accuracy International weapons that use thier own style action. But, some of the best rifles in the world, which are made by Tactical Operations, use that same old 700 action. I think this just goes to show that the action is more of personal preference and not an indicator of accuracy.

And yes I do think that custom semi-auto rifles can compete with these aforementioned rifles. For example, the whole Les Baer line is guaranteed to shot a .5 MOA. The PSG-1 has to shoot 50 rounds of match ammo into an 80mm (3.14") circle at 300m before shipping. Other manufacturers that can compete are American Spirit Arms, Blake's Customs, and Springfield Armory's m25 Whitefeather Tactical

Wll sniper rifles are different, especially the .50 cal and now the 20mm sniper variant will stand better to the beating the mechanism takes.

well accuracy isnt just based on the rifle, theres alot of natural factors, wind, range and velocity of the round. some of those arent natural i kno. i would take a semi-auto sniper into war. not a bolt. u can shoot much faster and why not add a silencer, it increases the accuracy and silences the shot, like that matters...

There's no such thing as a "silencer", only a "suppressor".

And you can fit a suppressor to a bolt-action like you would a semiauto.

I don't really see the advantage of semi-automatic in an anti-personnel sniper weapon...granted the M-16 SPR variant is a semiautomatic weapon, but that's more of a squad-based marksman weapon than an actual sniper rifle.

With a sniper rifle, the idea is you only need one shot, therefore rate of fire is irrelevant.

Bolt action for a dedicated sniper team and semi auto for a designated marksman.
the DMR's are all semi-auto's for the simple fact that it is much faster to acquire and fire the weapon at multiple targets in a combat situation. snipers use single shots on single targets, then disappear - they don't hang around behind a squad and take down targets of opportunity (although that is changing nowawdays).

The reason why everyone thinks of the Sniper rifle as a Bolt Action is because of the little thing called Hollywood. Yes, Sniper Rifles were at one point in time Bolt Action only rifles. But During the later stages of WWII, the USA, USSR, and Germany all made semi-auto sniper rifles. THere is the M1 Garand D model, the Ghewer 43, and the SVT-40 Sniper model. Also, after the war. The soviets made their standrad issue sniper rifle the SVD Dragonov. They took the Ak action and chambered it for the 7.62X54R cartridge. Which also holds the record for the longest serving military cartridge. It was designed in 1891. Anyways back to topic. The Israelis used a accurized version of their Gali Rifle. And the US now uses the M25 and the M82. The M82 is made by Berret. It's the Fifty Caliber rifle that all the liberials in the US want to ban from civilian ownership. BACK TO TOPIC. Mostly the main reason why the bolt action is still used is because the action makes no noise. If you put a suppressor on a semi-auto. The action still makes noise. You would still hear the metal bolt hitting the reciever. You can turn a bolt slowy so it doesn't make noise. The H&K PSG1. Which everyone thinks is the coolest thing since sliced bread is nothing more than a specialy built H&K G3/91. Which was the standard issue rifle before that plastic G36.

Having used both I prefer the semi automatic rifle because you don't move off your aiming spot so far. One all rifles should be zeroed in for your eye sight. The British Enfield rifle was a wow for this as you change your fore sight with a small tool until you fired spot on each time, but any rifle is just as good as the person that uses it. It is case of doing what you have been taught and doing it well. One of my favourite weapons for shooting is the British LSW, this can be fired on single shot or automatic and is based on SA 80 design but it has longer and much heavier barrel on it plus a bi pod on single shot it makes a first class sniper weapon especially with that optical sight they come with.

In comparing a bolt action to a semi-auto.

Semi-auto: Mag fed, easy to maintain, don't need match ammo

Bolt action: Like the Model 700 M40A1 you need match ammo, chambers only five rounds, and need constant cleaning.

And yes Hollywood played a big roll in calling bolt actions "sniper rilfes" but you pretty much snipe with anything. Put a scope on an M60 and put the fire selector on semi and your good. As long as you can get a long range, controled shot.

Why in the world would you need more than one shot? One shot is hard to locate. Successive shots are begging for machine gun and mortar fire.

Cadet Seaman said:
And yes Hollywood played a big roll in calling bolt actions "sniper rilfes" but you pretty much snipe with anything. Put a scope on an M60 and put the fire selector on semi and your good. As long as you can get a long range, controled shot.

It sounds more like Hollywood gave you this idea. In reality, this is not so.

Actualy during WWII. The Browning M1919 had a scope mount for it. Same thing during Korea. And a heavy weapon like the M2 Browning, M1919, and the M60 make great sniper platforms. They are large enough for the person not a effect the rifle during slight movement.

Sniper - Designated Marksman....sniper=1 shot one kill, designated marksman =take down as many as possible, as fast as possible at range...

Make sense? The PSG1 is a DMR. The .50 Barrett is an anti-materiel rifle, not sniper.

Back