Bolt Action vs. Semi Auto

--

March 30th, 2005  
Whispering Death

Topic: Bolt Action vs. Semi Auto

Granted I am a novice with guns so I was wondering something. It is a bit of common sentiment that bolt action rifels are always more accurate than semi-automatic ones. So my question is why is this? Why is it that bolt action rifels are more accurate?
March 30th, 2005  
FO Seaman

A bolt action is more accurate becasue all the gases are forced down the barrel forcing out the round, the bolt acts as a sort of plug and gases can't escape through the breech, opposed to the semi-auto where the gases can escape throught the magzine and breech meet and breech door. Now semi-auto. are almost as accurate as bolt-action

Pictures:

Bolt action M1903 Springfield

M14/M1A Semi-Auto rifle

March 30th, 2005  
Kozzy Mozzy

I also believe the bolt holds the round more "straight" then a spring magazine.
--
March 31st, 2005  
behemoth79

while bolt action rifles do shoot straighter, its not by much. besides, they arent used a sniper rifles so it really doesnt matter. a three inch hole in someones body will do the job no matter where it is.
March 31st, 2005  
Kilgore

Semi auto will win hands down in close combat. In long range combat, well the bolt action rifle getsmy vote.
March 31st, 2005  
Vitaly

Isn't accuracy depended on a lot more functions than the action? I highly doubt that a regular bolt action rifle from 50 years ago could compete with the semi-auto PSG-1 or the M-25 in accuracy. Plus there are custom manufacturers of semi-auto precision rifles that are on par with any bolt action rifle out there. An example of such is Blake's Custom Rifles outside of Las Vegas and the more famous Les Baer. Of course, a poorly made semi-auto weapon can damage ammo while cycling not enough to be disasterous but enough to effect accuracy. But the majority of accuracy issues are solved by having higher standards for production.
March 31st, 2005  
Whispering Death

Of course you are correct Vitaly.

I was just wondering how it is that the most accurate modern rifels still seem to rely on some of the older rifel bolt action.

So now I would like to further the discussion, do you think that the modern latest generation semi-automatic rifels can be as accurate as the bolt action ones? (I don't want to say "sniper rifels" because that is such an ameature term, but when I refer to rifels that is what I am speaking about, not assault rifels)
March 31st, 2005  
Vitaly

Do you mean the fact that the military rifles use the Rem. 700 action? It is a wide spread and easy to use action. Also it has a lot of adaptability with multiple stocks, barrels, and other aftermarket parts. Still there are rifles such as the Blaser LRS2 with a great action that is new that only involves the shooter in pulling straight back instead of up back forward then down. Those are considered world class rifles. So are the Accuracy International weapons that use thier own style action. But, some of the best rifles in the world, which are made by Tactical Operations, use that same old 700 action. I think this just goes to show that the action is more of personal preference and not an indicator of accuracy.

And yes I do think that custom semi-auto rifles can compete with these aforementioned rifles. For example, the whole Les Baer line is guaranteed to shot a .5 MOA. The PSG-1 has to shoot 50 rounds of match ammo into an 80mm (3.14") circle at 300m before shipping. Other manufacturers that can compete are American Spirit Arms, Blake's Customs, and Springfield Armory's m25 Whitefeather Tactical
March 31st, 2005  
Sea_Cadet

Wll sniper rifles are different, especially the .50 cal and now the 20mm sniper variant will stand better to the beating the mechanism takes.
August 12th, 2005  
specialasiankid

well accuracy isnt just based on the rifle, theres alot of natural factors, wind, range and velocity of the round. some of those arent natural i kno. i would take a semi-auto sniper into war. not a bolt. u can shoot much faster and why not add a silencer, it increases the accuracy and silences the shot, like that matters...