Bolt Action vs. Semi Auto - Page 6

--

January 17th, 2011  
USSWISCONSIN

I know that ammo quality has played a part in the perceived advantages of the bolt vs the semi-auto rifle. With the improvements in quality both in the ammunition and relability of the rifles themselves - is there still a big advantage to the bolt action? Or is the preference for bolt actions just a case of what is most familiar (and has historically worked the best) to the experts who are involved in training and documenting procedures for the snipers of today. I would think (and I am not a expert) that a reliable semi-automatic rifle would be better.
January 18th, 2011  
MikeP

Lots of comments by folks who have never laid hands on a weapon.

A bolt action piece is a bit more rigid in design which accounts for some superiority.
No parts moving about during the firing process.

A semi aids in concealment where you might be spotted operating a bolt.

One shot -one kill is a big myth-sometimes you miss.

An acquaintance, retired SF Major and professional shooter, contracts as a sniper instructor.
One of his basic classes is on getting past that and having one self set up for a subsequent shot.
January 19th, 2011  
USSWISCONSIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeP
Lots of comments by folks who have never laid hands on a weapon.

A bolt action piece is a bit more rigid in design which accounts for some superiority.
No parts moving about during the firing process.

A semi aids in concealment where you might be spotted operating a bolt.

One shot -one kill is a big myth-sometimes you miss.

An acquaintance, retired SF Major and professional shooter, contracts as a sniper instructor.
One of his basic classes is on getting past that and having one self set up for a subsequent shot.

Thank you for your insight MikeP. I do have some firearms experience, but I am not a sniper, or even a competative marksman. Still I enjoy shooting on the range on a monthly basis and consider firearms to be a passion and favorite hobby. I am happy to learn from people with more knowledge than myself. I have owned several bolt action and semi-automatic rifles, and found that I could shoot equally well with both types. I supose the difference between the two is seen at higher levels of skill than I have.
--
February 25th, 2011  
LeEnfield

A bolt action rifle is very accurate but on the down side you come of your aiming point every time you reload. With a SLR your site might only move a fraction of the target as the rifle reloads, which should mean your next shot should be on target even quicker, and when some is trying to kill you then this can save your life
February 28th, 2011  
Spartan613

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarsh
5.56 (or anyone)

Two questions for you.

If the accuracy is minimal between the the semi auto and bolt action then why did the US Army, Marines go back to the bolt actions M24 and M40 from the M21? Surely a sniper would prefer to have the use of a semi auto weapon where he to be stuck in a close quarters fight?

You have mentioned your opinion your support for a .50 cal rifle for civilian use. Im a moderate on the guns issue, I favor certain restrictions but not an outright ban. The .50 cal strikes me as the sort of weapon that should be banned. It would be an ideal assasination weapon for high profile targets, like those that ride in armoured limos. And the thought of being hit by one makes me squeemish...

I dont really see a use for it other action other than for murder. the same way I think fully automatic, grenades, flamethrowers, et al are banned. I'm curious can you express your reasons?
To address one aspect of your post;

Snipers generally operate in "pairs"... the shooter and the spotter. The shooter might be carrying a bolt-action for greater accuracy, while the spotter will carry a semi-auto "designated marksman rifle" (like the SR25) or even a standard carbine like the M4 to give protection to the shooter, if needed. Keep in mind, if they're doing the job properly, no one will be able to figure out where they are, which is much better security than a rapid fire weapon.