Boko Haram offers to swap kidnapped Nigerian girls for prisoners

News Manager

Milforums News Bot
By Lanre Ola MAIDUGURI, Nigeria (Reuters) - The leader of the Nigerian Islamist rebel group Boko Haram has offered to release more than 200 schoolgirls abducted by his fighters last month in exchange for its members being held in detention, according to a video posted on YouTube on Monday. The search for the girls intensified as a senior U.S. administration official said the United States deployed manned surveillance aircraft over Nigeria and was sharing satellite imagery with the Nigerian government. About 100 girls wearing full veils and praying are shown in an undisclosed location in a part of the 17-minute video in which Boko Haram leader Abubakar Shekau speaks. Boko Haram militants, who are fighting for an Islamist state, stormed a secondary school in the northeastern village of Chibok on April 14 and seized 276 girls who were taking exams.

More...

Let's give him an offer he shouldn't refuse- give us back the girls and we'll let him live. He don't give back the girls, we send in our best troops, wipe out his unit and leave him alive for a public trial.
IMO.

Using innocent children, no matter the gender, is cowardly.

Let's give him an offer he shouldn't refuse- give us back the girls and we'll let him live. He don't give back the girls, we send in our best troops, wipe out his unit and leave him alive for a public trial.
IMO.

Using innocent children, no matter the gender, is cowardly.

Jeez what a cocked up continent Africa is.

Here is a thought how about nuking the place, not only will we get rid of a few nukes we can wipe out a ton of diseases, terrorists, idiots in one hit as well as making a huge dent in poverty, world hunger and the resulting dust cloud should help reduce global warming.

It really is a win-win.

Now I realise I should care but the place is run by a guy called Goodluck Jonathan and the bad guy is almost a comic book villain.

Last edited:
Jeez what a cocked up continent Africa is.

Here is a thought how about nuking the place, not only will we get rid of a few nukes we can wipe out a ton of diseases, terrorists, idiots in one hit as well as making a huge dent in poverty, world hunger and the resulting dust cloud should help reduce global warming.

It really is a win-win.

Now I realise I should care but the place is run by a guy called Goodluck Jonathan and the bad guy is almost a comic book villain.

Not what I would have expected out of you...I'm going to assume that it was satirical even though it is a wonder why one group gets advocacy and a whole continent where real suffering is occurring is simply ignored.

Not what I would have expected out of you...I'm going to assume that it was satirical even though it is a wonder why one group gets advocacy and a whole continent where real suffering is occurring is simply ignored.

You know not even I am sure that it was satirical.
How do you fix Africa, is there even one stable government on the continent that isn't riddled with strife or corruption?

There is no doubt that what has happened to these girls is wrong but if we have to spend time playing defacto guardian to a continent that is a self imposed basket case then we will end up in the same position.

Basically if there was any way I could see that we (as in the world outside Africa) could fix the situation and improve the lot of those in Africa then I would be all for doing something but the fact is we just cant fix it we have neither the money nor resources to even dent the issues the the place faces.

In 1984 Bob Geldof held Band Aid to feed 3 million starving Africans and I admired the man for doing it but in 2008 and they held Band Aid to feed 31 million starving Africans and at that point I wondered what we had really achieved and how much suffering our help had alleviated.

Interesting we have to keep helping the Africans. After all, so many of their tribes are allegedly from another planet and/or of a superior race than the rest of the world.

After 50+ years it becomes tiring.

Don't get me wrong here I am all in favour of helping people improve their lot but Africa (I guess I should exclude North African states as they seem a little more stable) is just so fundamentally screwed up I just do not believe we can help.

No matter what we do it is either stifled by corruption, incompetence or religious fundamentalism there is just no way to break the cycle that they are in.

Sudan

Lets not blame it all on sub Saharan Africa. Look at what the Genocidal terroristic Arab's in the north of the Sudan did to the Christian - Animist black southern Sudanese. Barely a mention is made of this conflict that supposedly has a peace agreement in name only. Infighting continues in the south Sudan, however it pales in comparison to the millions that died resulting of the war with the Arab's.

Last edited:
Lets not blame it all on sub Saharan Africa. Look at what the Genocidal terroristic Arab's in the north of the Sudan did to the Christian - Animist black southern Sudanese. Barely a mention is made of this conflict that supposedly has a peace agreement in name only. Infighting continues in the south Sudan, however it pales in comparison to the millions that died resulting of the war with the Arab's.

The reason we do not mention one problem in the region is because the region is infested with problems, as I said in my first post show me one shining example of a successful African nation there are after all 54-57ish countries to choose from (although as I have said the North African nations should not be part of that as they are mostly stable).

It doesn't have to be democratic, christian or even wealthy just show me one country that is not riddled with corruption and bordering on failed state status.

In the past I have listened to excuses about it being the result of "colonialism" and no doubt that has had some effect but colonialism pretty much ended a century ago and no matter whether colonialism was good or bad it left all of these countries with a functioning infrastructure and operational institutions that are now just ruins.

I have also heard people waffle on about poor education but the vast majority of those in charge of these places are highly educated, graduates of some of the "best" schools in the world.

I have listened to the "it is Islamic fundamentalism" argument yet countries like Qatar, Kuwait, United Arab Emirates, Bahrein, Tunisia, Jordan etc. are all stable progressive nations yet christian nations such as those in Latin America, (what was) Yugoslavia, Ireland, and Cyprus are either in constant revolution or killing each other for shits and giggles so it is not religion causing the problem either.

So what is the answer?

I see no point in throwing money into a bottomless pit, it would be cheaper and easier to just stay home and pay the army to flush it down the toilet than send it to a continent where it will only help half a dozen tinpot dictators consolidate their power until the next army strongman over throws him and slaughter a hundred thousand of their own people in the process.

Last edited:
Well, as you know, we're already there. With some friends of course. U.K., Israel, I do believe Australia (don't quote me on that one). I watch BBC World News. Read it too. If we all can not find the bastards, I don't know who can. I surely wouldn't want that to have happened to one of mine!
Now Goodluck Jonathan is afraid. Good reason.Death threats from all round. The message from Boko Haram is literally "kill, kill, kill, kill, kill ,kill, kill".

If you are taking about a lot other unstable parts of Africa, I.e. Conkary, Guinea, well, Ebola(traffic -insane so you know it is really bad) and Cholera are rampant. The dictator's Mrs. made a deal for the land to be pillaged for pure ore.....for 2.5 B. While " Her people " don't have homes or even food or even..... toilets, thus cholera.
Big ole drug port, well known too.
Africa is not unstable just cause of blood diamonds. It's Big everything. Not the regular folks' fault. They're just trying to live like the rest of us. To breathe!

Last edited:
You know not even I am sure that it was satirical.
How do you fix Africa, is there even one stable government on the continent that isn't riddled with strife or corruption?

There is no doubt that what has happened to these girls is wrong but if we have to spend time playing defacto guardian to a continent that is a self imposed basket case then we will end up in the same position.

Basically if there was any way I could see that we (as in the world outside Africa) could fix the situation and improve the lot of those in Africa then I would be all for doing something but the fact is we just cant fix it we have neither the money nor resources to even dent the issues the the place faces.

In 1984 Bob Geldof held Band Aid to feed 3 million starving Africans and I admired the man for doing it but in 2008 and they held Band Aid to feed 31 million starving Africans and at that point I wondered what we had really achieved and how much suffering our help had alleviated.
Sir Bob Geldof did put some kind of dent in the problem. Need more Peace Corps, Jimmy Carter Foundations. Peoples that TEACH! But, diseases that money from their government never finds a way to help, seems only to hinder.

It's called greedy politians====who sleep with big oil. Don' t give a damn about who gets hurt in the process. Happened, happens..and will keep on happening....

Based on Islamic rules, if you are fighting against non-Muslim people you can arrest their women as bondwoman and after that you should help them to change their religion to Islam. And now Boko Haram think they are fighting against non-muslim people. It is unfair but sorry rule is rule.

Based on Islamic rules, if you are fighting against non-Muslim people you can arrest their women as bondwoman and after that you should help them to change their religion to Islam. And now Boko Haram think they are fighting against non-muslim people. It is unfair but sorry rule is rule.

Naive as it may be, I believed the religion of Islam to a peaceful one. Of course, the same goes in every country there are fractious groups of all religions and natures. Yes, I used the word fractious on purpose.

Last edited:
Sir Bob Geldof did put some kind of dent in the problem. Need more Peace Corps, Jimmy Carter Foundations. Peoples that TEACH! But, diseases that money from their government never finds a way to help, seems only to hinder.

It's called greedy politians====who sleep with big oil. Don' t give a damn about who gets hurt in the process. Happened, happens..and will keep on happening....

No you don't need more Peace Corps, Jimmy Carters or anyone else what Africa needs at ground level is for Africans to stand up and do something for themselves. You can not cure corruption by throwing money at it and you will not get people to stand up for themselves if they can get by having the rest of the world feed and tuck them in at night.

Groups like Boko Haram survive because the masses have become too disinterested to stop them.

Yes well the answer to that will now be a bullet most likely from a US gun all Boko Haram has done is put itself on someone elses radar with a problem too large to ignore.

Naive as it may be, I believed the religion of Islam to a peaceful one. Of course, the same goes in every country there are fractious groups of all religions and natures. Yes, I used the word fractious on purpose.

The Naive part of this is not that you believe Islam is peaceful but that you think any religion is peaceful, religion is a tool for controlling the masses and nothing else they all carry the same message "Believe what I believe or die" the only variation is the flowery prose they hide the message in.

The masses want religion to be peaceful on the grounds that it makes them safer but there is nothing peaceful about the intent of any of the middle eastern based religions.

Last edited:
Perspective

There are nations scattered throughout the world that are in a long standing state of turmoil in the last decade. Lebanon, Iraq, Afghanistan, Columbia, former Yugoslavia, Chechnya, etc. I don’t think we can throw out the baby with the bathwater. I am not strong on sub-Saharan African history but certainly South Africa, Guinea-Conakry are stable with freely elected governments just to name a couple. Yes the African continent is racked by many tribal, ethnic, religious conflicts. But if US or European aid saves even the life of a single child I say it’s worth it. The hard part is how to prevent it from falling into the hands of these warlords, dictators or just plain crazed nut cases.

Like I stated before,I wouldn't want that to happen to one of mine.
Conkary, Guinea is not so stable. Free elections, o.k...

Last edited:
Conkary, Guinea?

Like I stated before,I wouldn't want that to happen to one of mine.
Conkary, Guinea is not so stable. Free elections, o.k...

I agree I think that's universal for family man I agree

I don't know what is unstable they are not fighting, a war or conflict Muslims and Christians are at peace? The government has been accused of a few human rights issues but so has the US at Guantánamo Bay. Perhaps Canada and Sweden are perfect here.

I

3962134211861264718.jpg

Is this event has something relationhship with American? Oh ,I forgot the American boast they are policemen of the world. But why the American don't save the people in Syria?

3962134211861264718.jpg

Is this event has something relationhship with American? Oh ,I forgot the American boast they are policemen of the world. But why the American don't save the people in Syria?

Americans are only left with the unenviable task of being the "Policemen of the World" because other countries like China really don't have the capability, and they know it.

Back