Boeing Awarded 2nd Contract for F-15 Radar Upgrade Work

rock45

I wish this was for 100 F-15s and not just 16, doesn't seem right.
icon9.gif

Boeing Awarded 2nd Contract for F-15 Radar Upgrade Work

ST. LOUIS, March 17, 2008 -- The Boeing Company [NYSE: BA] has been awarded a $130 million U.S. Air Force contract to upgrade 16 Air Force and Air National Guard F-15C Eagles with the APG-63(v)3 Active Electronically Scanned Array (AESA) radar.
The contract, which follows a similar agreement signed in September 2007 for seven aircraft, also includes initial spares and aircraft support.
"Boeing is proud to continue partnering with the Air Force and Air National Guard to provide this revolutionary technology to F-15 pilots to give them the best possible set of tools to ensure mission success," said Jim Means, director of Special Programs for Boeing Global Strike Systems.
Raytheon's APG-63(v)3 AESA radar builds upon APG 63(v)2 technology and the hardware advances of the F/A 18E/F Super Hornet's APG-79 AESA radar. It provides significantly enhanced performance and reliability at an affordable cost. The APG-63(v)3 upgrade is critical to maintaining the F-15C's air superiority today and in the future.
The APG-63(v)3 radar is the latest addition to the F-15C. Previous upgrades include a fighter-to-fighter data link, GPS navigation and the Joint Helmet Mounted Cueing System, enabling network centric operations while employing the latest air-to-air weapons.

Link
http://www.boeing.com/news/releases/2008/q1/080317a_nr.html

Radar

I think the APG-79 is second generation built for the Block-II E/F SuperHornets which might be the worlds 2nd most modern operational fighter in the world. This guy was joking on this other forum that this radar is so good it can tell which ways the lines run on your lawn after you cut your grass. And does both air to air and air to ground at the same time and does it faster and is difficult to jam. It just does everything better and fast and if your a fighter pilot you want in your aircraft no matter who you fly for. He's not allowed to go into details on range or anything like but made it clear you would want it as a fighter pilot. This is the sole reason a few more countries who turn there nose up to the Hornet in the past are giving it a second look now. It's not the slightly increase in thrust or 40% more fuel it's the 2nd generation ASEA radar and weapons system/modern cockpit package.
The draw back to the E/F Hornet is there in the $100 million per and so there around the F-15K range (F-15K for South Korea) so one may opt for the F-15. I think Boeing would prefer selling more SuperHornets then Eagles but wouldn't turn down a large F-15 order. The USN will be using the SuperHornet for many years to come so keeping the production lines open for Boeing and US Navy would be a good thing.

Yeah, what's the point when the F-15's nose cone is just going to come off? And the wings, and the tail rudders...

wings

Sadly still 3,4,or maybe 5 years before the F-35 is built in numbers and Congress hasn't approved more F-22s the production line maybe closing down after the next 24 aircraft are built. The 187 planned fighters to replace over 400+, I don't see that happening. I would want all 187 alone to be on the west coast in case a situation pops up in Asia. Then I want two squadrons for the east coast and one for the Gulf of Mexico region of the USA. Then have 2 to 3 squadrons training and being prepared for oversea hops. All of this without raising my taxes not bad right?
icon10.gif

Fighters

I was having a little fun I know there isn't enough reason currently to really produce 300+ F-22s. The F-35 will become the work horse and do it for less money overall. There really isn't that big air threat for the US Air Force to go up against unless things change. There really aren't that many advance Flankers produced and flown by skilled pilots that souped up F-15 couldn't handle.

Back