Body Armor - What's NExt?

Lil Hulk 1988

There are so many new systems being researched, what will be next? Will we be able to insert plates into the utility uniform (BDU for those in the Army) or will it be an "extra" like it is now. Major artery protection in the extremities is very important and is not offered at the moment. It will need to be very flexible and designed to allow full combat movement in all environments, since it doesn't make sense to design armor that can not be used in a combat swim. Also, what about neck and hand protection...

I am interested in what some of the vets and active duty personnel have on this subject.

Nano tube or spider silk ballistic plates covering body, head, maybe thighs and legs. With liquid kevlar as backing and covering arms.

Liquid Kevlar....

Kozzy Mozzy said:
Nano tube or spider silk ballistic plates covering body, head, maybe thighs and legs. With liquid kevlar as backing and covering arms.

Sorry, doesn't exist, it has no strength in the liquid, non-polymerized state, but carbon fiber is a good canidate.

marines.jpg

:lol:

For those of you who don't get it, theyre from a video game called halo. Think it was damien who mentioned it somewhere around here (The sniper rifle)

Not specifically for protecting one soldier, more like a whole base. This may sound stupid, but don't laugh, it just sort of popped into my head. Have you ever held a 2 magnets, and when you turned one of them around, they pushed away from each other? Could some sort of magnetism be used to repel mortars, bombs, etc..? Probably not missiles, they move to fast, but could it work against bombs and mortars? Any thoughts? I know it sounds far fetched and i'm aware of how stupid I look right now :lol: , but what do yall think?

the only problem with that idea is the power source. You would need huge amounts of power. Also the magnetic field would be immense. I do not think any communication equipment would work. Then you would have to factor in the health affects of living in a magnetic field of that magnitude.

Its kinda like using magnets to shoot artillery. It can be done, but nothing beats good old gun powder.

Sounds like a great idea. Just like that movie where the bad guys were in full length dusters made of bullet proof kevlar.

well, think of it this way: sure the bullet doesnt penetrate, but the force thats spreads out over the fabric does. Its quite possible to shoot so many rounds at a man wearing a kevlar vest that you could theoretically beat him to death without a single bullet penetrating.

just a thought

Re: Liquid Kevlar....

Lil Hulk 1988 said:
Kozzy Mozzy said:

Sorry, doesn't exist, it has no strength in the liquid, non-polymerized state, but carbon fiber is a good canidate.

When the liquid kevlar has fast violent force to it, it hardens up, that's why they're developing it. It's flexible when moving, but when shot, it goes hard.

Mark Conley said:
well, think of it this way: sure the bullet doesnt penetrate, but the force thats spreads out over the fabric does. Its quite possible to shoot so many rounds at a man wearing a kevlar vest that you could theoretically beat him to death without a single bullet penetrating.

just a thought

True. But at least there would be enough protection against knives, grenade fragments and other razorblade like stuff.
A kevlar suit, thick enough for being bullet-proof, would possibly be very uncomfortable to wear. But let's see what future will bring us. :)

Bootboy82 said:
True. But at least there would be enough protection against knives, grenade fragments and other razorblade like stuff.

One word... "leather"

For those of you who don't know, Marines gained the name "Leathernecks" because they would wrap a piece of leather around their necks to keep their necks safe during a sword fight in the Civil War. That piece of leather was tough enough to prevent the blade from slashing through the wearer's neck, and(If I'm not mistaken) was the first piece of body armor used in an American War.

Of course I'm not up on history so I could be wrong.

just as a historical side note:

there were sutlers during the civil war that actually sold old fashioned chain mail as proof froom sword slashes, knives, and bayonet. There was even a sutler that sold a cotton garment with mutiple quilted areas that contained ground glass that he hawked as being bullet proof. I believe all it really resulted in a lot of guys being buried in chain mail and quilted powdered glass coats.

just a thought. back to the body armour. :D

They ware tests using SpiderWeb instead of nylon when spun togather in the size of a nylon thread it was considered tougher, they might try to replicate the spiderweb in a man made meterial.

spider silk streches too much to be pratical as a bullet proofing material. The American government is experimenting with a type of ceramic that 3/4 of a inch can stop a AP round.:biggun: The only problem is the fact its to heavy to be pratical at the moment, but they are trying to decrease the weight. info courtesey of the History channel

Kozzy Mozzy said:
When the liquid kevlar has fast violent force to it, it hardens up, that's why they're developing it. It's flexible when moving, but when shot, it goes hard.
I read about this before.

Link

They were saying some of the civlian uses could be for cars, as well.

Kozzy Mozzy said:
Nano tube or spider silk ballistic plates covering body, head, maybe thighs and legs. With liquid kevlar as backing and covering arms. When the liquid kevlar has fast violent force to it, it hardens up, that's why they're developing it. It's flexible when moving, but when shot, it goes hard.

I've read about this stuff and it looks promising.

Back