Body Armor - What's NExt? - Page 2

--

July 26th, 2004  
Mark Conley

just as a historical side note:

there were sutlers during the civil war that actually sold old fashioned chain mail as proof froom sword slashes, knives, and bayonet. There was even a sutler that sold a cotton garment with mutiple quilted areas that contained ground glass that he hawked as being bullet proof. I believe all it really resulted in a lot of guys being buried in chain mail and quilted powdered glass coats.

just a thought. back to the body armour.
July 27th, 2004  
AlexKall

They ware tests using SpiderWeb instead of nylon when spun togather in the size of a nylon thread it was considered tougher, they might try to replicate the spiderweb in a man made meterial.
July 29th, 2004  
doomshot

spider silk streches too much to be pratical as a bullet proofing material. The American government is experimenting with a type of ceramic that 3/4 of a inch can stop a AP round. The only problem is the fact its to heavy to be pratical at the moment, but they are trying to decrease the weight. info courtesey of the History channel
--
July 30th, 2004  
Airborne Eagle

Topic: Re: Liquid Kevlar....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozzy Mozzy
When the liquid kevlar has fast violent force to it, it hardens up, that's why they're developing it. It's flexible when moving, but when shot, it goes hard.
I read about this before.

Link

They were saying some of the civlian uses could be for cars, as well.
August 4th, 2004  
silent driller

Topic: Re: Liquid Kevlar....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozzy Mozzy
Nano tube or spider silk ballistic plates covering body, head, maybe thighs and legs. With liquid kevlar as backing and covering arms. When the liquid kevlar has fast violent force to it, it hardens up, that's why they're developing it. It's flexible when moving, but when shot, it goes hard.
I've read about this stuff and it looks promising.