Body Armor

USMC1990

Dose anyone know what type the US military is currently using? Are we still using the interceptor or have we swichted to dragon skin?

would be interesting. i saw a documentaion about this vest, and man that thing is like wearing a bunker... the only thing they haven't testet was shooting at a dragon skin vest with .50
does anyone know if theres a chance to survive, just survie a hit with .50?

The only problem with Dragon Skin is it comes apart in high heat. Otherwise it looks very nice, took 11 rounds of .308 from a FAL carbine at point blank in their tests. Of course the guy wearing it would probably be on the ground with a chest of broken ribs after that...

The one my base is currently using is plain old kevlar with a one bullet taking plate. -_-.... I wish we got dragonskin it's lighter and it would take more rounds, since the ones we have, per testing, will shatter after one shot from an M-4 carbine

There are guys in the sandbox who need that more than you do right now. At least you got a plate. Most soldiers in the world don't.

Dose anyone know what type the US military is currently using? Are we still using the interceptor or have we swichted to dragon skin?

To answer your question, we're still using the interceptors for the time being, some special forces units (I'm pretty sure Marine Force Recon) have started to phase in the dragon skin. But i'm about 99% sure that the regular forces are still on the interceptors with the 4 plates.

Hardly anyone in a deployed environment uses the Interceptor. The Army has transitioned to the IOTV (Improved Outer Tactical Vest) and the Marines are using the MTV (Modular Tactical Vest). The Marines have expressed much dissastisfaction with their new vest, and there is talk of going back to the Interceptor until a better one is out. No Soldiers in the Army are allowed to use Dragon Skin in theater, no matter who you are. Even Generals have been admonished for using it by the Pentagon. Special forces units are currently using the Eagle Industries CIRAS plate carriers. Both the carriers and the IOTV/MTV use the same front, back and side plates that provide protection up to 3 hits of 7.62mm APM2 ammo. The Marines have also adopted the plate carrier for operations in the OEF theater, and the Army is starting to come around.

Oops, my bust, I completely spaced on the new body armor for the Marines, they had just started phasing it into my bn when i was getting out so my experiences were with the interceptor, thanks for the slap across the head :mrgreen:

Oops, my bust, I completely spaced on the new body armor for the Marines, they had just started phasing it into my bn when i was getting out so my experiences were with the interceptor, thanks for the slap across the head :mrgreen:

It's cool. The MTV has been a mini disaster for the Corps. The Commandant is so unhappy with it that he put out that Marines deployed can use the Interceptor if they want to (provided they haven't turned them in to get the new one) and he cancelled the rest of the 25,000 vests that were pending delivery. During town hall style meetings in Iraq, Marines were very vocal about their dislike for the MTV. Apparently the Corps is going back to the drawing board. Sucks that it got to that point, but at least it shows that senior leadership is willing to listen to the Marines who are actually in the fight, and are trying to get them what they need.

Yeah,very true, and although I never used the MTV, all the guys I talked to about it had absolutely nothing good to say about it. I mean they did put a flap in the rear similar to the groin protector but for the tail bone i guess and sitting down was extremely uncomfortable from what i was told, and the other pieces that were attachments on the interceptor were permanently attached to the MTV which was just a peeve of some, but like you said it is good to hear that the higher ups are taking consideration on what the junior troops are saying in theater, it also doesn't hurt that the current CMC is pretty freaking cool.

Some are using Dragon Skin which they have to buy, Not Issue. Just a headsUp Dragon Skin can be penetrated if you get a bullet coming in from the Side or on a angel. Only good for frontal Impact.

Some are using Dragon Skin which they have to buy, Not Issue. Just a headsUp Dragon Skin can be penetrated if you get a bullet coming in from the Side or on a angel. Only good for frontal Impact.

Who do you believe is using Dragon Skin?

Neither conventional nor special operations service members are wearing the vests. The Navy recalled theirs, Army and Air Force banned them and the Marine Corps never allowed it to even get started.

embarrassing

the aus government has got us this body armour around a year a go called mcbas, the current battle group that has left, that is leaving, or about to go (secops) were all issue this new gear still in boxers, as soon as it was all put together and tried in the field it was quickly decided that it was to heavy, restricting and it must of been tested by some pogs in an office who have never done an attack in it. The co ask who going to buy the eagle marine $1000aus around 600 people of the 800 bg raised their hand and i just watch the co's jaw drop. i'm sick of getting all this equipment that is not infantry tested!!!

they are making a full body armor and when the bullet hit it the things that are in the suit it will squeeze into one spot to stop the bullet and they will go back to they were before and make the suit more flexable. and it is also magnetic so that will help it stop the bullet

Back