Body Armor

If I remember correctly, the way the dragon skin is made allows for shrapnel from weapons and high explosives or EMPs to penetrate the armor from low angle to high. Most US casualties are from IEDs and these explosions originate, a majority of the time, from the ground. Soldiers on dismounted patrols or riding in vehicles are generally at a higher angle than the explosion and can therefore have the dragonskin body armor compromised.

Well, to be infantry tested, it have to reach the infantry not?

And what's so special about this dragon skin?

I saw the videos, it's nice indeed. But it must have a flaw somewhere. These angled shots could be a serious drawback if it's true.

stonehouse, an AK can do short work of these light kevlar armors.
I'm sure it's good armor, well made, confortable and light for it's protection capabilities.

But today, we need much better armor to protect soldiers from enemy fire without destroying their ability to fight.

Kevlar isnt some new technology that will revolutionize the battlefield... I dont know, these liquid vests that dissipate the energy of the projectile repeatdly...

That would be nice

i was looking at some body armour from intelligent armour in the UK; its really light stuff and in use with some UK Special Forces units

Molle Body Armour

Hasn´t the Molle vests been around for some time now Colonel or is this a new version?
Do you know if they have changed the pouches.
I know quite a few who disgarded the vest due to the pouches being clumsy and taking away from the mobility molle claims.

I know about the SAPI plates 03.
I know they have kevlar plates and ceramic plates.

In a video game, kevlar plates are less efficient but more durable. But the ceramic plates give better protection, but they break at some point and lose their ability to dissipate the shock (name is Brigade E5).

I think that it's somehow realistic.

But what I mean is that a kevlar vest alone isnt something new on the battlefield. They are good to stop pistol bullets. But I wouldnt feel safe with an empty kevlar vest if I had to face people with AKs or any military rifle with military quality ammo.

And you comment proves that these vest need these SAPI plates and such upgrades to be efficient against rifles that are comon on the battlefield (example given the AKs).

This is why we need better material than kevlar (it's been around for some time, even the terrorists can put their hands on kevlar vests these days).

And the SAPI plates dont protect your shoulders, legs, arms, neck, face etc...

The soldier have better chances to survive a hit with kevlar vest + plates. But they still can lose a limb or something like that...

If we had something lighter and flexible somehow to allow a little movement, the soldiers will be able to carry protection on some parts that are unprotected.

Armors have some blind spots.

Last edited:
I know about the SAPI plates 03.
I know they have kevlar plates and ceramic plates.

In a video game, kevlar plates are less efficient but more durable. But the ceramic plates give better protection, but they break at some point and lose their ability to dissipate the shock (name is Brigade E5).

I think that it's somehow realistic.

Stopped reading and caring right here.

03. I just wrote that to tell you that I know about the additionnal plates soldier's use for protection.

Read what's coming after please.

Well, there is reference and reference...

I dont know much about armor. I'm not in the army, and I never saw a kevlar vest in the shops around my house.

I would never reference a video game as a trusthworthy source of information. Or maybe to joke.

Just that you told me about the SAPI plates like if it was something I knew nothing about. But in fact I saw this "concept" in a video game. And I did some research (basic) on the internet.

And some video game are designed as simulations. You should be more tolerant on this topic. You could be surprised.

The thing with body amour is the weight and mobility also has to be considered. A soldier has to march, carry a huge pack plus weapons and then fight as well. The greater the protection the heavier the armour is.

Unless there is a revolution.

Remeber that the kevlar was a revolution. They designed a better and lighter material to make armored vests.

Now we need something like that again. A new material that is both light and strong to get out of this "stronger means heavier".

And if the armor is too bulky and heavy, the soldiers will lose their ability to fight efficiently. They will get tired fast, so the patrols/missions will be much shorters. And if the climate is hot, it will be a real pain to carry armor. They will have to add cooling hardware like in ordonnance disposal units...

I think that the new generation of armor will be using exoskeletons to carry the extra weight.
The military is more and more interested in robotics.

Someday they will give up the soldiers for human controled robots on the field.

True true. But on a much larger scale.

We say that the soldier is the best thing we can put on the battlefield. But as technology is in evolution, will come a day when the machines will be as efficient in providing security and eliminating threats as the soldiers.

Or, that the machines are just extansions of the soldiers.

And maybe we could have people at war abroad in the safety of their homeland's bases.

It would be neat. But we will have to send people on the ground at some point. Hopefully after the battle when it's safe.

It's nice, but it's still a little low-tech... I was thinking of something more high tech.

An exoskeleton to support the weight of the soldier and his equipment. With the necessary security of course, we dont want the soldier to break some part of his body by making a bad movement (did you see Iron Man 2?)

The mobility have to be essential, the soldier have to be able to move easily. To survive some threats, but if he is a slow and easy target the enemy can still engage him with heavy weapons, and there is no way they will put enough armor on infantry to survive anti tank weapons or a big charge of explosives.

And it looks like a big toy. I think that should forget the glass for helmet and put an all metal armor with a camera to see outside.

The Laser pointer is a good idea... But the crotch clock? wth?

Wauv - random dude which just happened to have a bmx helmet and a shitload of duct tape and random pieces of plastic and WAY TOO MUCH TIME !!!!

Back