Blue on Blue

Kirruth

The transcript and the video of an attack by two A10 tankbusters on a squadron of the British Household Cavalry (who were using Scimitar light tanks):

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2007060131,00.html

The pilots appear to have misidentified the orange markers on the vehicles as rockets, and believed there were no friendlies in the area.

The video is connected to the inquest of L/CPL Mattie Hull, who is said to have been killed in the attack.

In the UK, military deaths are investigated by the civilian courts, and this video has been the source of some controversy: with the military first denying it existed, then refusing to release it.

Last edited:
A sad reality of war that goes back to doing the basics correctly, "shoot, move and COMMUNICATE".

Bad for the Brits, also bad for the Pilots who killed and wounded our Allies, as they to have to live with what happened.

I do not understand why the United States Military would wish to obstruct justice and say there was no tape?... sad, very sad all the way around.

You know, there could very well be a problem in the United States Military, what with, as I read things here and there, just about every Boot on the Battlefield is now being able to claim the status of EOD Tech, defusing Bombs and such, even without going to EOD School, so, to extrapolate on that new (to myself) concept, it could have be the A10 Ground Crews turn to take the Aircraft up that day. Or perhaps it was the Pilots turn in the barrel to do someone elses job in the Military, on the day the Military had a class and talked about how to tell Frendly Vehicles from Enemy and such.... things like Color, and Markings, and how to notice Rocket Launchers.... and where this and that was, and would or could be on the Battlefield. Also, the Pilots could have asked at such a meeting if perhaps "Hey Dude" could have been painted on the top of Allied Equipment, if they had too much trouble telling things apart.

i couldnt watch the video on The Sun newspaper. Could any one post it here if possible?

This sounds a little bit like what happened to Canadian troops in Afghanistan in 2002 when a US jet dropped couple of bombs on them...

Ouch yeah, there were some Aussie SASR blokes that had a close call with something similar as I recall as well.

I think unfortunately the Sun video site is getting too many hits. I am sorry to say they have not released the copyright for use on other websites, and the video is still classified by the US military. In short, it can't be posted here.

Interestingly, the release of the recording has completely changed perceptions of what happened. Before it came out the A10 pilots were being presented as "rogue", "possibly high on stimulants". As it is now, the heat has really been turned on the governments for not releasing the footage.

From listening and watching the whole thing through, it sounded like a very difficult call. They didn't have the fuel to remain in the area for very long, the ground controller told them he was unlikely to be getting replacement aircraft for his area any time soon, and the Scimitars seemed to be up against some kind of revetment (i.e. a wall or piece of terrain), which would impede clear observation from a circling aircraft.

So, the choice was attack the target and risk friendly casualties, or leave it alone and risk a squadron of enemy armoured vehicles attacking coalition infantry. When time ran out, the pilots made the call.

How's it playing out with the average Brit on the street Kirruth?

Well, the folks at work shrugged and said, well they did the best they could with the intelligence they got. Which I thought pretty much sums it up.

How's it playing out with the average Brit on the street ?

I've heard things like "Not again!" and "Why the buggery can't the wankers reconize our vehicles?!" but really everyone understands that there are tough calls in war and considering the scale of the operations in iraq its surprising that there havn't been anymore blue on blues.

We must also remember that there will have been lots of times when american pilots have made the right tough call and coalition deaths have been averted but you won't hear much of this from the media.

So i gotta congratulate the fine work that the vast majority of the american airforce have performed already and the diffficult situations that have arisen but have been dealt with effectively. I also have complete sympathy with the pilots that made the error but most of my sympathy lies with the grieving families.

On the other hand I do not like the way the US refused to provide the relevant evidence, the only criticism that could be aimed at this accident should be aimed at this particular area. Its not on and this is not how you treat your allies

What was the air controller doing? Being lazy? There is a big difference between friendlies not supposed to be in the area and actually bloody checking via direct contact even if he had to go through a few stations.

On the other hand I do not like the way the US refused to provide the relevant evidence, the only criticism that could be aimed at this accident should be aimed at this particular area. Its not on and this is not how you treat your allies

Accidents are forgivable but the coverup of evidence makes it worse I agree

I'm quite sure it was a decision that involved the tape being reviewed for hours on end until everyone was satisfied that the pilots had done nothing wrong and then the tape was "safe". Just my guess having dealt with things like this in the corporate world once or twice.

Day one...
Widgets Inc Spokesman to the public... "We have no data on the effects of X."

Day thirty-one...
Over-paid corporate attorney team to board of Widgets Inc... "Your company's data shows no link between (insert terrible thing someone would sue over) and X."

Day thirty-two...
Widgets Inc Spokesman to the public... "The recently uncovered data shows X is safe. Come read for yourself we have nothing to hide."

Back