Blue on Blue

--

February 6th, 2007  
Kirruth

Topic: Blue on Blue

The transcript and the video of an attack by two A10 tankbusters on a squadron of the British Household Cavalry (who were using Scimitar light tanks):

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2007060131,00.html

The pilots appear to have misidentified the orange markers on the vehicles as rockets, and believed there were no friendlies in the area.

The video is connected to the inquest of L/CPL Mattie Hull, who is said to have been killed in the attack.

In the UK, military deaths are investigated by the civilian courts, and this video has been the source of some controversy: with the military first denying it existed, then refusing to release it.
February 6th, 2007  
bulldogg

A sad reality of war that goes back to doing the basics correctly, "shoot, move and COMMUNICATE".
February 6th, 2007  
Gator

Bad for the Brits, also bad for the Pilots who killed and wounded our Allies, as they to have to live with what happened.

I do not understand why the United States Military would wish to obstruct justice and say there was no tape?... sad, very sad all the way around.

You know, there could very well be a problem in the United States Military, what with, as I read things here and there, just about every Boot on the Battlefield is now being able to claim the status of EOD Tech, defusing Bombs and such, even without going to EOD School, so, to extrapolate on that new (to myself) concept, it could have be the A10 Ground Crews turn to take the Aircraft up that day. Or perhaps it was the Pilots turn in the barrel to do someone elses job in the Military, on the day the Military had a class and talked about how to tell Frendly Vehicles from Enemy and such.... things like Color, and Markings, and how to notice Rocket Launchers.... and where this and that was, and would or could be on the Battlefield. Also, the Pilots could have asked at such a meeting if perhaps "Hey Dude" could have been painted on the top of Allied Equipment, if they had too much trouble telling things apart.
--
February 6th, 2007  
phoenix80

i couldnt watch the video on The Sun newspaper. Could any one post it here if possible?

This sounds a little bit like what happened to Canadian troops in Afghanistan in 2002 when a US jet dropped couple of bombs on them...
February 6th, 2007  
bulldogg

Ouch yeah, there were some Aussie SASR blokes that had a close call with something similar as I recall as well.
February 6th, 2007  
PJ24

Sadly, it happens.
February 6th, 2007  
Kirruth

I think unfortunately the Sun video site is getting too many hits. I am sorry to say they have not released the copyright for use on other websites, and the video is still classified by the US military. In short, it can't be posted here.

Interestingly, the release of the recording has completely changed perceptions of what happened. Before it came out the A10 pilots were being presented as "rogue", "possibly high on stimulants". As it is now, the heat has really been turned on the governments for not releasing the footage.

From listening and watching the whole thing through, it sounded like a very difficult call. They didn't have the fuel to remain in the area for very long, the ground controller told them he was unlikely to be getting replacement aircraft for his area any time soon, and the Scimitars seemed to be up against some kind of revetment (i.e. a wall or piece of terrain), which would impede clear observation from a circling aircraft.

So, the choice was attack the target and risk friendly casualties, or leave it alone and risk a squadron of enemy armoured vehicles attacking coalition infantry. When time ran out, the pilots made the call.
February 7th, 2007  
bulldogg

How's it playing out with the average Brit on the street Kirruth?
February 7th, 2007  
Kirruth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogg
How's it playing out with the average Brit on the street Kirruth?
Well, the folks at work shrugged and said, well they did the best they could with the intelligence they got. Which I thought pretty much sums it up.
February 7th, 2007  
phoenix80

I found the full video

http://youtube.com/watch?v=4kebG_eHLD4